Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Team Lombardo 2012 Build

Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #42
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATABULLETcom View Post
Oh dear god! Sexy bitch! I think I'm gonna just camp out at fastenal till mine get s here
Occupy Fastenal....I like it!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Bumper Installation Review

HoKay! So I finished installing my bumper and it took me 2 days to make final adjustments here and there (OCD). My review based on what I encountered:

1) I shimmed the VERY bottom of the driver's side in order to get the proper angel so my bumper wasn't pushing up against the factory flare. I used a total of 3 washers to shimm my bumper out. Before and After pics below. (This flare problem occurred only on my driver's side)

2) Due to shimming, I had to get a longer bolt (1" longer than the supplied bolts) that runs through the bumper and the supplied gussetted brackets. (no pic)

3) Observation: Shimming the one area I did shim pushed and angled my bumper away in the direction I wanted. In doing so meant that there would be a gap inbetween the mounting surfaces of the bumper and the frame where the studs are. When I torqued down the nuts on the permanent studs it tweaked the metal a bit. In the pic below the frame's mounting surface SHOULD be straight, but since I shimmed it, there is now a bow in the mounting surface.

Also, I have to add washers to the very bottom bolt on the passenger's side in order to close the gap and to avoid problems in the future.

4) I had to cut off this tab on both support arms because there was not enough space in order to reintall the factory skid plate.

5) I was able to mount my solenoid control box on the winch barrel. However, on my bumper it was an extremely tight fit. It sits right up against this bracket (pic below). If this box were any larger, I would have needed to mount it elsewhere. (Warn VR-8000s)

6) My RI Dually fog lights also sit right up against the same braket above. Not a big issue, but any other fog light with a larger housing would have pushed my bumper down; therefore, creating a larger gap all along the top of my bumper.

7) During install of my bumper I decided that I wanted to remove the sway bar in order to gain more suspension flexibility when off roading. When I took it for an off road test run, the body was flexing way TOO much that the bumper was significantly pushing up on the factory flares. Hell, it was even getting the same flexing when I was pulling into my driveway. So, I reinstalled the sway bar, did another test run, and the flexing of my bumper seemed to completely dissappear. The bumper was no longer pushing up on the flares. I had to make a decision at this point; risk ripping off the factory flares when flexing the body, or sacrifice some suspension flexibility. I went for the latter since I don't go CRAZY on the off roading.

This review is based on my experience with installing MY bumper only. There are variables that exist, but are not shared by all bumpers/Tacomas manufactured. Each bumper is unique and each has their own variances.

This is one AWESOME bumper. I would definitely purchase another one if I had to.

Thanks Tyler for all the help you gave up during install.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #45

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I used the gorilla lugnuts the E/T ones P/N 68138L and they seemed to fit well, you will need the thin wall socket for them as well to fit in the lug area. As for the hub rings I never used any and haven't had a problem, just make sure the lug nuts are all torqued down and the wheel is centered before you lower it off the jack and put any weight on the wheels

My bumper from Relentless had the same issues, my mount is also a bit tweaked from adding the washers. Oh well, wheel and be done with it is what I say

You'll want 3/8-1/2" gap between the bumper and flare to avoid any contact. So far I haven't ripped off the flares and I've had my truck through some pretty gnarly flex offroading, enough that I couldn't get my door shut once I opened it while flexed
Quote:
Oh yeah, and bumper looks bitchin
Thank you kind sir.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #47
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think they tie into where the sway bar is, you can see the triangle gusset type brace behind the main bumper mounting area
Oh , on the engine side of the frame rail ?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #48

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Oh , on the engine side of the frame rail ?
Below it.

I kinda wished that it did have beefier mounting points though. The stock mounting points are weak IMO
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #49
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
Below it.

I kinda wished that it did have beefier mounting points though. The stock mounting points are weak IMO
Oh , I see it now , duh
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #50

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You could always get the relentless or bruteforce reinforcement plates and add them. Looks like you could even retain the current reinforcement you have and have double the reinforcement

http://rfabstore.yolasite.com/toyota...87&id=14499818
Echo
Echo
Echo

I just pm'ed him that very thought , lol
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #51

Army:
[QUOTE=PSU Taco85;5915941]You could always get the relentless or bruteforce reinforcement plates and add them. Looks like you could even retain the current reinforcement you have and have double the reinforcement

http://rfabstore.yolasite.com/toyota...818[/QUOTE]

I was thinking today that I may do that in the future. A nice security blanket that I would like to drape over myself everytime I take her off roading.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
great minds think alike
fools seldom differ
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #53

Army:
Anthony, those Relentless brackets are money! I am definitely investing in those prontoitis
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #54

Army:
Quote:

Yeah man can never have enough frame bracing, especially with a winch. They are super easy to install as well. Last thing you want is to rip your bumper off the frame mounts
I disagree whole heartedly. THAT is the first thing that I want to happen. It makes for an awesome story.......and lots of ass pain. Thanks again broham.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
EATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shedEATABULLETcom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mark
EATABULLETcom's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=TeamLombardo;5915945]
Quote:
You could always get the relentless or bruteforce reinforcement plates and add them. Looks like you could even retain the current reinforcement you have and have double the reinforcement

http://rfabstore.yolasite.com/toyota...818[/QUOTE]

I was thinking today that I may do that in the future. A nice security blanket that I would like to drape over myself everytime I take her off roading.
just ordered some for myself
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #56

Army:
[QUOTE=EATABULLETcom;5916707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post

just ordered some for myself
Hey, go ahead and order another set and have them shipped to my door. I will pay you back......I promise.....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #57

Army:
Mother F'er! Damn body flex is making my bumper hit the fenders. Gotta adjust the damn shit again.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #58

Army:
Quote:
I ended up elongating the holes in my bumper by about 1/4" with a die grinder and that allowed me to lower it enough to keep it off the flares, just a thought
Yeah I have a lot of leeway to adjust downward and open up the gap. I played with it a bit when initially installing, but I just hate having to fiddle with it more Fuck it! Going fenderless COMPLETELY. That's one thing I like about Jeeps.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #59

Army:
CV Boot Mod Write Up

So I decided to do the CV Boot Mod since the fins of my inner boots have been leaving a nasty groove. This mod took me about 15 minutes. Very simple to do.

Tools/Materials Used:
-Flat head screw driver
-Needle nose pliers
-8mm socket w/ratchet
-Rag to clean shaft
-3/4" to 1 3/4" hose clamps

Miles Mod was done at: 7,488

Drivers Side Before:

Drivers Side After:

Passenger Side Before:

Passenger Side After:

Edit: Holy shit you really have to crank down those clamps! I drove to Target (3 miles round trip) and when I got home the fins had moved closer together. They weren't touching, but were close. I readjusted the boots and cinch down the clamps real tight like. Lets see what happens.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #60
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Love the bumper and how the LED inside.