1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building the "BEAST"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by awsumdc, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
  2. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    I like!:D

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    awsumdc

awsumdc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    I have a secret for you. If you look at my sig pic it'll give you a glimps of how it turns out........;)

4. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I prefer the suspense.

5. Jan 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    Thank you.

We don't have a kit per sey but we do have either all the parts or the measurements to build one. I'm going start a build thread of an '02 Taco we built with the same three link system I have but using less exspensive parts. I really like the way it turned out. We also did an FJ Cruiser using te same system. The thing I like about our system is that you can use any axle combination in the front that you want as long as it's driver side drop.

With that said here are some of the parts we used on my truck.

These are the shocks we used. They are Bilstein 9100 14" coilover shocks with remote reseviors. They are using Eibach dual rate springs. The joints are FK 1 1/4" hiem joints and Johny joints. All the bolts used in this build are either grade 8 or the super strong F-911 bolts. We didn't want anything to brake on this build.
    [​IMG]

The first set of tires we put on this truck were 40x17x13.50 Goodyear MTR Rock Spiders.
    [​IMG]

We then took the rear Toyota axle out and decided to go with something bigger.
    [​IMG]

We went with a Currie Heavy duty high pinion Dana 60 with 5.38 reverse cut gears, an ARB air locker, 35 spline axleshafts, Wilwood 4 piston disc brakes and we had it shaved for more grond clearence.
    [​IMG]

This picture gives you an idea of how much bigger the Dana 60 is over the Toyota axle. Having it shaved gave me more ground clearence than I had with the toy axle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During the time we were grinding the frame the Glassworks fiberglass fenders came in and we put them on to check fitment and to see how much trimming needed to be done. I was surprised to find that they fit very well and needed very little triming.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was very pleased at how well they fit.

Anyway, thats todays update. I'll try to get another one up tomorrow.

Biscuits and Pirhett like this.
  6. Jan 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    That thing is freakin badass!

7. Jan 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    *drooling*

8. Jan 10, 2009 at 12:04 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    So far, my favorite thread on TW!!

9. Jan 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  10. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    :drool: some more

11. Jan 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    roggs01

roggs01 Roggs01

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    Predator steps,Method NVs, 285-70-17 KO2s
    Very Interesting, can't wait to see the final product

12. Jan 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    Heres a time portal view.....;)
    [​IMG]

Just kidding. the truck is already done. I'm just putting up a build thread so folks can see how it was done.

13. Jan 10, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    post moar pics!!!!!!!!!

14. Jan 10, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    If ever I get an unexpected inheritence or win the lotto...that is what I'd do. :cool:

15. Jan 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    One of if not the sweetest Taco's out there. Subscribed.

16. Jan 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    OK. Here's more.

Got the steering box mocked up and mounted and it was time to do the steering shaft.
    [​IMG]

Doing this steering shaft was going to be different from others because it was going to be segmented. We had to go around the shock mounts because they were going to come up into the engine bay. We used one end from the Taco and another end from an earlier model toyota truck so it would mount to the steering box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We also used some steering joints from Kartech along with some hiem joints to keep it in place.

And theres the segmented steering shaft. Works like a dream.
    [​IMG]

At the same time we cut into the engine bay and had to move the battery and fuse box. We knew we were ging to move the battery because we went with a dual Optima battery set up in the rear of the truck. I had a frierd do all the electrical work at the fuse box and hooking up the Painless dual battery system with isolater. We put the extra fuse block and isolater under the rear seat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that is a cucuit braker next to the isolater and fuse box. There is another one where the battery used to be.

I then had to have some new hose's made since the ends at the box were not the same any more. I took my parts to the hose man and he fixed me right up. In this picture, you can see the wired spring that is in the stock system. Alot of guys doing these swaps forget to put this back in their new hose and they get this weird kick back from time to time. I didn't want that so I had him put it back in my new hose.
    [​IMG]

It was now time to start building the links. These are the heart of the swap so they had to be strong, yet provide me with massive flex. We chose 2" x 1/4" thick dom tubing for the links. We then sleeved them to make them just that much stronger. The links ends are 1 1/4" hiem joint at the axle end and 2 1/2" johny joint at the frame end. Those sizes are miss leading since the hiem joint is measured at the threaded end and the johny joint is measured at the ball end. The hiem joint is alot bigger than the johny joint, and stronger too. The johny joint uses 9/16" bolts and the hiem joint with high misalignment spacers uses 5/8" bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The lower links are 41" long from bolt hole to bolt hole, and the top link is 31" long. Yes, there are only three links and a panhard bar. This set up as proven to be the best for massive flex with no binding and still provides a good ride on the freeway at 70 + mph.

After the links were done the front fenders came back from the paint shop and were put onto the truck. I think they look awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the same time we started making a front bumper for it. This bumper was only built for the shows and wasn't meant to be used off road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, there is todays update. More to come because next it's time to set that axle under the truck.:D

Tacodude0909, Biscuits and Pirhett like this.
  17. Jan 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    Thank you very much.

18. Jan 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Can i take 'er for a test drive?:rolleyes::D

19. Jan 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    awsumdc

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    Sure. I let people drive it all the time when we go out on runs. I love to see the smile on heir faces when they get out and then the frown when they have to get back in teir trucks.:p

20. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    OH MY :drool: wanna trade.

Products Discussed in

To Top