Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The Tale of Fiona, The Traveler

Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
REBELTACO - Build Thread by The Traveler

How Fiona sits today, 3/2/14

I like to tell stories, so my build thread will be consistent with a good tale of how a vision came to me...and my quest to fulfill that vision with lots of time and money.

I've always owned small, fast, tuned up cars in my past. Drove a muscly Mustang GT in high school, built a 1965 Shelby Cobra in my own garage, then moved to something more compact and economical for 5 years. But after picking up nature photography as a hobby, and new found business venture, I knew I needed something more than my VW Rabbit to get me around.

Started thinking about a truck in February of 2011. Concluded that the almighty Toyota pickup was the most reliable, bare-boned, badass truck I could see myself driving everyday. Figured I'd start looking...just for fun at first. I soon came across a member's build thread on this website (sytfu510), and I instantly fell in love with the overland/zombie apocalypse look of the Tacoma. Suddenly, the fire began to burn inside me...and I got serious. Knew I needed a 2nd gen to keep my current luxuries, knew it had to be a double-cab because I often bring friends on camping trips and road trips, and I knew it had to be a 4x4 so I would never scorn myself for opting out of it in the occasion of getting stranded somewhere.

My desktop background for 4 months.

Test drive after test drive, thread after thread...I was hooked. Lurked for a few months, then decided to become a member of the Tacoma brethren. I asked questions like "will I get stuck in a long bed?" and "are the TRD sport shocks good for off-roading?". I was a total novice to this category of vehicles, but it didn't discourage me from asking questions and learning about all of it's ways and secrets.

On April 28th, 2012, while browsing CarMax at my desk, I found a 2010 DCSB 4x4 SR5 in silver streak metallic at their branch in Las Vegas. $200 would deliver it to me, but I couldn't justify the fee before having seen the truck. Not more than 3 days later, I found the same truck and same photos as listed in the CarMax lot literally across the street from my office. I immediately dialed the number, made sure it was there, and left the office a bit early that day.

Well, it was meant to be. Somebody delivered it to Irvine, CA...didn't like the truck for whatever reason...and it was stuck on their lot. I took it slow, completely checked out the vehicle, weighed my options...and 4 hours later, I had traded in my trusty VW of 5 years, for my first truck. Here is the first photo I ever took of Fiona. Still with the window stickers, and dealer floor mats.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Took it on dirt the very next morning, in all my excitement.

Less than a week later, I came across a set of 4 Ultra Type 164's wrapped in "like new" BFG AT KO's 285/75/16. The previous owner had just sold his Tacoma, and said they fit his truck perfectly.

Needless to say, I couldn't turn with the stock height of the truck. 2 days later, I installed my band-aid lift to keep the tires from eating my fenders. Pro Comp 2.75" top plate spacer lift. I'm not particularly proud of this mod, but I was low on cash and the new tires weren't coming off for the time being. I also installed a set of Spidertrax wheel spacers, because the offset of the wheels was incorrect, without my knowing.

I then installed a set of 4000k HID's, which I'm currently contemplating removing. They're bright, but I get too many people flashing me on the road.

[IMG][/IMG]

The famous "Taco-Lean"

I installed a Cobra29 CB Radio and Firestik 5' antenna via Brian's (desertguy) antenna mounts in the bedrail.

[IMG][/IMG]

I found a used Bestop Supertop for $250 in LA. One of my favorite mods to date.

Attended my first Tacoma meet, which I helped organize. It was a great success!

Another member (Rattlesnake44) sold me his brush guard for $75.00 after installing an ARB winch bumper on his own rig. He generously helped me by installing the brackets for it as well!

One day, while helping my uncle empty his storage unit, I used my truck for what trucks are made for. Moving large objects. The rear end was sagging far too much for my liking with less than half the payload capacity in the bed.

I knew the time had come for a lift in the rear. The TSB had NOT been done on this truck, and it was out of the warranty period. So I decided to purchase a new AAL set from Toytec, claiming to raise the rear by 2". I tried the install myself, but was unsuccessful due to the limiting height of my jackstands. I decided to let the pros do it, and took the truck and new leafs to my friends 4x4 shop, called Rebel Off-Road in Lake Forest, CA. The guys here really know what they're doing, and are some of the friendliest people I've dealt with in the industry. I was very happy with the quality of work, the punctuality, and the fair price for the job. I definitely recommend them for any job too big to do on your own.

After getting the truck back home, I was more than pleased with the new stance. The rake is back, and I couldn't be happier. It actually rides better now, despite what I've heard from other members complaining the ride is harsher after the AAL. It gave me a 3" lift on both sides in the rear from the factory non-TSB leaf springs.

This is how my truck sits today. Actually, these photos are from today themselves. I also removed the headlight covers from the brush guard, and I think it looks much better.

OEM Head unit replaced by Pioneer AVIC F700BT navi/iPod stereo.

Also found a creative place to put the mic for phone calls/voice commands.

Some new pics after a wash

Bought a set of used Bilstein 5100's and TRD OR springs from Hiatt1991, currently set at 1.75" but will be lifting to 2.5" soon.

Also busted a fender flare on the trail run 8/26/12

Installed a set of Icon Remote Resi shocks for the rear

Installed a custom dual 10" subwoofer box behind the rear seats.

Some new pics

Bushwhackers installed today!!!

Mid-Travel setup is complete! Icon Remote Reservoir Extended Travel coilovers and All Pro uniball UCA's are installed! I have a .5" bro-lean, but it's barely noticeable.

Got some new pics and video from this week in Big Bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_IywvGl5E

I finally received the free Apex Sliders from All Pro Offroad. Hopefully will have these powdercoated this weekend and installed by next week!

Some new pics

[IMG]
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/521583_10200463279877570_360179061_n.jpg[/IMG]

Some updated pics after getting my 2nd bestop.

Went for the big guns, got a Total Chaos 3.5" long travel kit with King coilovers, All Pro Expo leaf pack, and Wheeler's super bumps. Also painted and installed some Glassworks fiberglass fenders. Got the front bumper custom made from Pelfreybilt Off Road.

First big mod lately was the CBI Ditch light brackets on the windshield and a 50" LED light bar from the group buy on TW. $375.00, and I made the mounts custom (now selling them on the GB). VERY bright, and quality is second to none as far as Chinese bars go.

Finally got around to ordering my bedsides. Went with Glassworks Unlimited to match the front, and opted for the Trophy Truck style ones. I will not be painting these, as I will be doing a vinyl wrap on the whole truck soon.

Also mounted a PCI Race Radios antenna through the roof for my ham radio.

And I even got around to installing a new set of Aries 3D floor liners.

I still have much more time and money that needs to be spent in order to get the truck the way I want it to be, but I figured I'm off to a good start, especially for only owning the truck for 3 months so far

...build to be continued.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome! love the best top and wheels/tires!

IMHO you should black out the emblems on the doors and tailgate. and even the back bumper. i did all mine and my bumper. looks 10x better than the chrome on the silver.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
ColbyC will become famous soon enoughColbyC will become famous soon enough
Name: Colby
ColbyC's Tacoma Gallery
I think I can honestly say this is one of my favorite trucks I have seen. Clean, simple, and functional! Looks awesome. What are you running for wheels and tires?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Thanks Zach, I'm actually doing the emblems this weekend. As far as the bumpers go, I'll leave these the way they are until I get my All Pro high clearance. Thinking about plasti-derping my fender flares though.

Quick photoshop

yeah. i will end up with plate front and rear. thats why i just plasti dipped the rear. on the fender flares. idk i like it and i donít.. i thought about doing mine.

the shop looks pretty good!

also just wondering, how you get that pic of you turning in a parking garage? i have seen it around a bit and always liked it.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyC View Post
I think I can honestly say this is one of my favorite trucks I have seen. Clean, simple, and functional! Looks awesome. What are you running for wheels and tires?
Thank you very much! The wheels are Ultra Type 164 16x8 and tires are BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
yeah. i will end up with plate front and rear. thats why i just plasti dipped the rear. on the fender flares. idk i like it and i donít.. i thought about doing mine.

the shop looks pretty good!

also just wondering, how you get that pic of you turning in a parking garage? i have seen it around a bit and always liked it.
For that shot, I threw two legs of my tripod over the edge of my bedside, sat in the bed and shot the photos while my friend drove the truck around the garage. I used a long exposure time of about 10 seconds.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd! trucks lookin good
Old 08-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
bjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the roughbjhn83 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bradley
bjhn83's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great man! I almost went with the same wheels and tires I love that combo. And the soft shells are pretty hard to beat too. I would have gotten one if my truck didn't have my shell when I bought it
As far as the blacked out flares go.. Not a huge fan but you could always plastidip and see if you like it that way. Not a huge fan myself. New bumpers would be sick though!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Looking good!! One thing tho. DesertGuy(Brian) made those mounts. Not sicknick.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #13

DD looks good! but you may want to clean the dash and rear view mirror off.

also is that a "black ice” tree hanging from the mirror? best sell ever!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Matt I used to live right below you in the town houses back in 99'-02' Miss the area.... BTW nice build!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
Matt I used to live right below you in the town houses back in 99'-02' Miss the area.... BTW nice build!
Really?!? Wow what a small world I love Portola Hills, it's been really nice living here. I'd rather live in Hawaii though haha and thanks man!

New pics added!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good Matt
I prefer the black bumpers & flares that's why I got the base model.
When are you ditching the spacers and what are you replacing them with?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #18
REBELTACO

Thanks, Randy!

I love that look as well, but I couldn't pass up this SR5 when I first saw her. I'll be replacing the bumpers with some armor, more than likely either ARB or Demello front plate bumper, and possible an All Pro high clearance rear. I would like to save up for some Bushwackers and keep them black as well.

Ahhh yes...my lift is the the only depressing and embarrassing part of my build as of now. I'm torn between ditching the spacers and buying a set of 5100's just to get by, or just save the money and live with them for a few months until I can afford my ideal lift, which is Icon extended travel coilovers and remote resi rear shocks. Would also love to stick either an All Pro or Dakar leaf pack as well.

$$$ is the issue right now, but with my raise just kicking in, and some other monthly expenses falling off, I'm confident I'll have my ideal lift installed by the end of this year. *fingers crossed*
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
$$$ is the issue right now
I hear you. Just put the down payment on a full set of Relentless skids & hybrid sliders with two piece kickout. New front & rear bumpers someday.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
Pavel4774 is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Pavel4774's Tacoma Gallery
Don't remove your hid lights, i don't have hid's on my truck yet and still people flash their lights at me all the time.