Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Project apocalypto

Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Project apocalypto

So a bunch of you dudes asked for a build thread, so here it is as I can remember it. I bought it when I was stationed in Germany (Army) and before it got there I already had a pile of parts waiting for it. Initially, I had Icon coilovers and deaver AAL's with TC UCA's.

Then I beat on it a little.

Put on some Timbren bump stops all around.

Fried up some driveway sliders-

Beat on it some and figured out timbrens are not real bump stops.

Put on some chubbies aka lightracing jounce shocks--

Beat on it some more.

Fried up a new rear bumper-

It worked ok.

Welded more crap to the front bumper-

LCA skids-

Then I got orders to California. I would rather do two tours in trashcanistan than one in that messed up state. I saw more bodies in Barstow than I did on my first deployment. Anywho, I bought this pile while the taco was floating around the globe.

Then I went to my first desert race...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I ran into some dbag named Brock and went on a run or two with him when my taco finally got to socal. Then I got to take the $10,000 ride in his truck and knew that LT was the only way to go.

After going on the Miller jeep trail run with an LT 4wd that was it, I started looking for parts after that weekend. That truck did very well in the rocks, and it was fast!

Then I stumbled onto a used TC kit and snatched it up. The coilovers are LT Icons and one of the first sets out there.

The motor mounts broke somewhere in there-

I think I just had a deaver 10 pack at that point.

Then I went to the offroad expo and talked to some dude's from Radflo who hooked up the rear with 18" stroke triple bypass 3.0's and some 4" stroke bumps.

I read in some racecar chassis design book that triangles are the strongest geometric shape, so I built some triangles.

I also put on some deaver H70's spring under hung off of TC 12" shackles. I had to undovetail the frame, but I made it happen.

Then it cornered like it was on rails.

That bumper sure did look dorky, but it saved my arse a couple times.

I figured I better build a cage because I was starting to hit triple digit speeds in place that with my old setup I could only do 30.

Picked up some rear glass from Kartek-

Broke some stuff-

I won some allpro baja leaves.

They are way better than the deavers-

Broke some more stuff. Dude at Icon said "I've been working here for ten years and never saw anyone break one of those!" If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that.

Mounted a couple optima's between the spares-

Got some kings up front-

Did an engine cage-

Broke some more stuff-

Met this dude and liked the stance of his truck a lot. That got the hamster on the wheel...

I decided to get some real beadlocks and move up to 37's

Threw some fancy rotors on with Porterfield Racing carbon kevlar pads. They will stop you faster than a clean sliding glass door.

I also installed 4.88 gears and an ARB locker up front.

Then I got tired of doing push ups and decided to move back home to Oregon and go be a fat hairy civilian.

I guess I got old or something, because I'm tired of ripping around the desert full throttle all the time and just want to cruise around the woods looking for critters and gold nuggets and stuff. The build continues...
Oh yeah, I prototyped some hand made ceramic plates wrapped in kevlar finished in carbon/kevlar and soundproofed the interior while I was at it.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
mizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shedmizzac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mac
mizzac's Tacoma Gallery

Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
stephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
stephen11ty7's Tacoma Gallery
THANKYOU!!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
some D-bag named brock...lol
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
some D-bag named brock...lol
If he would have never taken me for a ride in his truck I would still be rolling around with a stock taco. He warned me too, and it wasn't until much later that I realized the $10,000 ride wasn't a joke, lol.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to see the full story finally!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
If he would have never taken me for a ride in his truck I would still be rolling around with a stock taco. He warned me too, and it wasn't until much later that I realized the $10,000 ride wasn't a joke, lol.
Nice truck.. Same shit happened to me with the scenario of riding in a bad ass truck thus leading to making your own bad ass truck
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
meh...i'm more interested in how bedliner became the new paint scheme
Old 08-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Badassness!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
love it.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
meh...i'm more interested in how bedliner became the new paint scheme
Fiberglass fenders come in white and I didn't want my truck to look like a panda bear so I gave them a coat of bedliner. That worked pretty good, so I did the whole truck and then laid down a coat of martin senour industrial flat black equipment paint over that to keep it from fading.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Fiberglass fenders come in white and I didn't want my truck to look like a panda bear so I gave them a coat of bedliner. That worked pretty good, so I did the whole truck and then laid down a coat of martin senour industrial flat black equipment paint over that to keep it from fading.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Dude, do you work for DARPA??
No, I'm a doppler radar nerd for the National Weather Service now, but I spent 10 years in the Army as a missile dude and used DARPA products. If this was DARPA it would be way cooler. Like remote controlled with a UAV launching platform on the back and missile pods all over it lol. Alas, I'm restrained to using conventional weapons against the onslaught of the ferocious Eastern Oregon ground squirrel.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery