Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

SMKYTXN's Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
SMKYTXN's Build

Here's a table of contents for my build, there are more pictures throughout the thread, but the links below are some of the highlights.

Onboard Co2 install and Auxillary Fused relay panel install

Wheeling pics from South Padre and Mill Creek OHV, Fayetteville Arkansas

Wheeling pics from Matagorda

Home truck maintenance setup

Hardwired dash cam install

Fire extinguisher install

Snorkel mod

Wheeling at Shiloh Ridge, January 2014

Scrub bar build

Front diff with 4.10's and an ARB install

Wheeling at Shiloh Ridge March 2014

Trailer brake controller install

Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 install

SPC Light Racing UCA Spec Ride bushing install

Feneix Titan-X 5 LED install in ARB bumper (Replacement for the turn signals in the old style ARB)

Exhaust crossover re-route

Hybrid transmission and transfer case skid, UHMW and 1-1/2" sch 40 pipe

Amazon COB LED rock lights

As she sits today 12/5/13

Here she is the day after I bought her. I drove to Dallas to pick up a bike that I was having restored the day after I got the truck.

My Colorado that I traded in. It was a good truck, but I needed something more.

2011 Tacoma TRD Sport

Suspension:

- OME lift
- 886 coils up front
- Dakar's out back
- Lightracing upper control arms
- Spidertech 1.5" spacers
- ATO traction bar
- Swaybar delete

Armor:

- ARB front bumper
- Bruteforcefab rear bumper
- Beefed Sliders
- Custom built scrub bars (courtesy of Colinb and Overland Off-road)
- Allpro IFS skid
- Hybrid UHMW and pipe transfer case and transmission skid (Built by yours truly)

Winch

- Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500

Lighting

- Hella 700FF converted to 55w HID
- LED bed lights (Old ones died, need to redo them)
- Custom rock lights
- Phoenix dual mode flashers and reverse lights
- Phoenix 5" LED's in the ARB

Electrical

- Autorod Controls fused relay panel
- Tacoma tech deck

Tires

- General Grabber 33x12.5x17

Drivetrain

- 4.10's
- ARB RD111 (front)
- ARB RD129 (rear)
- ARB CKSA12 compressor

Interior

- Weathertech digital fit floor liners (had to trim the driver floormat to clear the clutch)
- Wet Okole seat covers (All black with red TRD logo)
- Techdeck

Body

- Fender flares removed (My thread on making plugs to fill the holes)

Completed mods

- Snorkel mod
- Superwinch Tiger shark 9500 installed

Future mods

- FLATBED!
* Jobox Storall
* 15 gallon auxiliary fuel tank
* 15 gallon fresh water tank
- New front bumper of my design
- New IFS skid of my design
- Roof rack

To-Do list

- Big 3 upgrade
- Cut up my "FRONT" fenders
- Install the following (Parts already sitting at the house)
* Lifetime LED's
* Trail spotting camera system
* Upgraded body mounts

Beefed Sliders

I was very impressed with the design of these sliders. The main selling point was the location of the legs that connect to the frame. There is no significant overhang on either end of the slider.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Onboard CO2 install

Wheelers offroad adjustable CO2 regulator

I used rivnuts to attach the powertank 10lb tank holder to the front of the bed. Using 6 rivnuts was overkill, but I figure if I ever need a M8x1.25 bolt I'll have a couple extra hiding behind my tank.

I made my own rivnut install tool out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum barstock. By holding the longer bolt still and turning the nut against the bar you can compress the rivnut. It worked like a champ and was cheap.

Tank location

Powertank 10lb tank holder.

All done.

Auxilliary Fuse Block

I used the same location that most everyone else uses for their fuse block, but did mine a bit different. I built a frame out of aluminum angle that would hold a small pelican box. The box isn't completely water tight anymore, but it'll shrug off a good amount of water.

The ARC fused relay panel installed in the box.

Installed in the truck. There was an extensive wiring harness sent with the block, which you can see coiled up on the fuse panel. You can also see the brace I added to keep the shelf from moving too much. The threaded holes in the fender well are nice, but offer little lateral resistance.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #3

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeling pics

A little urban offroading just for fun.

South Padre

Mill Creek OHV, Fayetteville Arkansas

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
bout time..
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
so
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
JPR21 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Joe
JPR21's Tacoma Gallery
Were the padre island pics from this weekend (labor day weekend)? Man i had a blast down there, just got back home today from there (reluctantly!)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Will your on board air be able to power your lockers?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #9

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR21 View Post
Were the padre island pics from this weekend (labor day weekend)? Man i had a blast down there, just got back home today from there (reluctantly!)
The SPI pictures were from the meet earlier this year. It is a nice place to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Will your on board air be able to power your lockers?
That's the plan. Powertank makes a nice little manifold that will let me power the lockers with the CO2. I'm planning on having a small 20oz CO2 tank as a backup as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
bout time..
X2

glad you finally got a build up nathan..... Looks good
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #11

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
not to get into a debate, but why co2?
There are enough accessories that need power so if I can keep something off the electrical system I'm going to do it. I'm still considering going full pneumatic with manual air switches for the lockers, but the thought of bringing four air lines into and out of the cab doesn't sit well with me.

CO2 will also let me run air tools, which up till now I haven't been able to do since I'm in an apartment without a garage. Therefore no room for a compressor. The 10lb co2 tank doesn't take up much space.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #12

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Matagorda 2012

It was beach cleanup weekend at Matagorda. Jesse and I went down and did our part. There wasn't anything challenging, but it was a fun trip.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! That's a great build!!! Love the look of the tan plastidip!

Question: do you rub the fenders with the 1.5" spacers?? And did you remove the sway bar??

Love your truck!!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepo View Post
Damn! That's a great build!!! Love the look of the tan plastidip!

Question: do you rub the fenders with the 1.5" spacers?? And did you remove the sway bar??

Love your truck!!
Thanks bud. Yes, the 12.5 inch wide tires do rub the back of the fenders a little bit. The cab mount chop keeps the tires off of the frame, but there is still some offending plastic that needs to go away.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Thanks bud. Yes, the 12.5 inch wide tires do rub the back of the fenders a little bit. The cab mount chop keeps the tires off of the frame, but there is still some offending plastic that needs to go away.
Especially when wheeling and you shove em in the fenders. Lol had mine trying to rip my fenders off the other day
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #17

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you sir.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
How are the generals off road?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #20

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
Great looking truck man!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRed06 View Post
How are the generals off road?
They're fantastic in the sand and rocks. I don't have too much to compare them too, but I like em.

Products Discussed in this Thread