Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck, all you are missing is

BOOM all done
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #42
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
True, but I'll have to settle for Fox shocks and Dakar springs for now. I don't think those are actually available for purchase. Rather, your unicorn has to find you.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #43
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
True, but I'll have to settle for Fox shocks and Dakar springs for now. I don't think those are actually available for purchase. Rather, your unicorn has to find you.
Ahh true, didnt really think of that. Well I hope (i guess) your unicorn finds you someday
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #44
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I see that Sockmonkey will act as a Unicorn Guide for a small fee. It sounds like he's a vision quest spirit guide or something. I'm not ready for that level of commitment yet. Maybe after I have the shocks rebuilt.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
Backdoor Commentator

Mid Travel Suspension Upgrade
= Delivered

FRONT

Fox 2.5 Pro Series Front OEM replacement coilovers for 2005 - Current Tacoma, Fox# 880-02-418-A (26.5 lbs each)

Light Racing Upper Control Arms (9 lbs each)

Wheeler's Off-Road SuperBumps (installed)

REAR

Fox 2.0 Pro Series Rear Replacement Shocks for FJ Cruiser, with Piggyback reservoir, revalved for a Tacoma: Fox# 980-02-417-A (8.5 lbs each)

- - Fox 2.0 Pro Series Compression Adjuster for 2.0 Shocks with 5/8" shaft: Fox# 815-00-036-A

- - Fox Factory Series 12mm Sleeve for Tacoma: Fox# 213-27-004-B

- - ProComp Explorer Shock Boots (black): Part Number: 11127

OME 2.75" lift Dakar Leaf Springs: CS047R (71 lbs each)

OME U-bolts (4): OME U53A

OME Carrier Bearing Drop: OME FK29

Spanner wrenches for Fox 2.0 (small) and 2.5 (large) lock rings

Timbren SES bump stop replacements (installed)

ToyTec extended brake lines, front & rear

ToyTec sway bar relocation kit

ToyTec rear spring bushing kit

Needed

Trail-Gear limit straps, front and rear
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #46

Nice have fun putting that on
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #47
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Nice have fun putting that on
Oh, I will. Still making the detailed shopping list. ^^^
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #48

Lol gotcha, I have my whole build planned and listed already. I figure it'll have additions and changes to it over the time it takes me to get the stuff but its good for now.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #49
Backdoor Commentator

I was really hoping to buy it all from DSM, but they don't carry LR UCAs, or the other odds and ends. I'm shopping now so I can hopefully have it all together before turning a wrench.

I didn't plan to go to a mid travel suspension, but the more I read, it seemed the best fit for my plans. Once I have tires, I don't see any major purchases for quite awhile ... unless I hit another deer.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #50
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work so far!
So what are the measurements on those FJ rear shocks?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #51
Backdoor Commentator

Thanks. I don't know why Fox makes it so hard to find this information on their site. Maybe it's in the Application Guide.

Fox 2.0 Pro Series Rear Replacement Shocks for FJ Cruiser, with Piggyback reservoir 980-02-417-A
Compressed: 14.65"
Extended: 23.25"
Travel: 9.62"
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #52
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Wow, I was thinking maybe they were longer than the Taco shocks, but I guess not... What is the reasoning for going with these over the Taco shocks?

How's the Softopper treating you by the way? How's the gas mileage with it?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #53
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod712 View Post
Wow, I was thinking maybe they were longer than the Taco shocks, but I guess not... What is the reasoning for going with these over the Taco shocks?

How's the Softopper treating you by the way? How's the gas mileage with it?
I first came across that shock while reading about Miles' 2005, then read about HBMurphy's experience with them. They seem to offer what I'm looking for, and I went with Fox up front, too. We'll see how it goes. I'm not sure what Tacoma shocks you're referring to. I think the Fox rears have a little more travel than the TRD shocks.

No problems with the Softopper. I don't have enough miles on the truck to really be a guide for fuel mileage. I don't think it has much impact on fuel economy, though. I've had it on for a few months, but I need to store it. One of the reasons I bought a soft top was the ease of storage, and I really don't need a covered bed all of the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #54

I was talking about the Fox tacoma shocks that were also on the page you posted above. Although, there aren't any measurements listed for them, so the FJs may be longer... I don't remember the stock shock measurements to compare... Just FYI, but I'm running All Pro's 3" pack and I had to go to a 27" shock to get full droop.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #55
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod712 View Post
I was talking about the Fox tacoma shocks that were also on the page you posted above. Although, there aren't any measurements listed for them, so the FJs may be longer... I don't remember the stock shock measurements to compare... Just FYI, but I'm running All Pro's 3" pack and I had to go to a 27" shock to get full droop.
Yes, the FJ shocks are a little longer. As for droop, I'll likely use limit straps, as DSM recommended. I won't be tear assing across the desert, but I don't want to worry about trashing a shock. Frankly, I may have waited awhile before upgrading the suspension if Toyota hadn't muffed the rear so badly. The 3 leaf pack is a joke, and I didn't want to band-aid them with a TSB (that currently doesn't apply to MY2012 anyway) or an AAL. Dakar springs are well reviewed, but I couldn't use the OEM shocks. If I only upgraded the rear, the front would be the weak point, and I'd have about a 3" rake.

Like I said, I don't know why Fox spent the energy to make a pretty website, but left off some of the most critical information. I'd rather a site was ASCII text with a detailed spec sheet than a pretty display that leaves basic data out.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #56

Haha I agree, but it seems nearly all of the shock companies don't give measurements on their "factory series" shocks.

Yeah, Toyota never has been able to make a set of leaf springs. Even if you went to the TSB, they start sagging in a few months just like the stock three leaf pack.
Yeah, limit straps aren't a bad idea, I just wanted the max amount of travel I could get. Although, I think my shocks are a little long on the collapsed end and are bottoming out before the bumps are completely compressed. They haven't bent/blown out yet, but I'm really not worried about it. If they do, it will just give me a reason to custom mount some new and better ones.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #58
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
^^^x2 this this x2^^^^^^
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
Backdoor Commentator

x3
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #60
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know how you can be so patient man... With a pile of goodies sitting there?
I am temporarily handicapped, but I got tired of waiting on my mechanic friend to have time, so I started without him. Now I'm finished! But I think being a machinist with some automotive experience is better than a mechanic with experience LOL
Also, your build isn't nearly as bolt-on as mine is. There is a lot of work there for you and some custom fabrication/welding.

Products Discussed in this Thread