Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #81
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I hear there's a lot of that after back surgery.
Don't you have some threads to cut or a pineapple to eat?

I worked yesterday, but that means I have Friday-Sunday off this week. There may be progress then.
I was planning on working at my friends CNC shop next week, but my wife and daughter just took off to Japan, so I gotta watch the doggies.
...and yeah, I've gained a little weight
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #82
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Getting closer. I decided to take some photos before installation. I thought that'd be a better way to keep track of actual part & version numbers in case of a recall or some other update. A few of them:

Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #83
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So, you get anything done this weekend?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #84
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yup, but not directly related to installing any of that. Once my truck was covered in snow, I decided it was better to work on something else.

In addition to a bunch of housework, I cleaned a lot of stuff out of my garage. I've got things back to a point where I can finish the interior work I started a long time ago, which will free up more space and make it a much better place to work.

It's a standard 20'x20' two stall garage, which means there's not much depth for working on the truck if anything is on the inside wall. I've got two metal cabinets that I need to mount on wheels so I can move them and my toolbox to the side of the shop, freeing up more depth. Once I have that done, the suspension work will be much easier.

I also need to mount an overhead hose reel for compressed air, hang two more lights, insulate the ceiling, re-tape the sheetrock, and paint everything, but that can wait until after the truck is riding high.

At least I found a home for an ice ax a friend gave me.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #85
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Getting closer. I decided to take some photos before installation. I thought that'd be a better way to keep track of actual part & version numbers in case of a recall or some other update. A few of them:

Damn that looks nice.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #86
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice! I thought the Dakars were side specific though. Looks like the same part number.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #87
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod712 View Post
Nice! I thought the Dakars were side specific though. Looks like the same part number.
I don't believe the part number changes, but they do rate them + and - to denote the amount of lift they deliver, since there are some variations in manufacturing. Typically, a + and - are paired, with the + being placed on the driver's side to compensate for the "Tacoma lean", caused by fuel & driver weight. I'm not too worried about it, since I can fine tune the front lift with the coilovers. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #88
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I see. I learn something new every day lol. Yeah, my driver side C/O is cranked 1/2" more than my passenger.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #89
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Oh, I see. I learn something new every day lol. Yeah, my driver side C/O is cranked 1/2" more than my passenger.
And your truck looks good, too.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #90
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see the final install. Looks awesome.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #91
IKA fabrications

Quote:
Softopper bed cover installed. I haven't tried folding it into the boot yet. I'm really going to like the utility of it, and I think it looks great.

Hows the Softopper holding up? I am really thinking about buying one too. If I order from the softopper site, they will ship to Hawaii for $80. Not too bad.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #92
Backdoor Commentator

It's fine. I took it on a trip to Utah last fall and was surprised at how little dust made it inside. I'm definitely glad I opted for a no-side window Softopper over a windowed Bestop. We ended up with the bed crammed full of gear, and I'm sure side windows would've been beat up. I put a towel between the cargo and front/rear windows to protect them, and I'll eventually add some interior flaps for protection.

Of course, I've got to install my suspension before any needlework.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #93
Backdoor Commentator

Ordered a set of DuraTracs for $710 (after rebates), delivered. I'll mount and balance them myself.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #94
IKA fabrications

Nice! I get my countersteers hopefully today, then duratracs on Tuesday. The guys at goodyear have been holding them for me for awhile now. I cant get the same deals as you guys in the mainland. Discount tires wants $553 for UPS ground shipping to Hawaii!

BTW, your price should be $685 right? You didn't get the $25 online discount?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #95
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Nice! I get my countersteers hopefully today, then duratracs on Tuesday. The guys at goodyear have been holding them for me for awhile now. I cant get the same deals as you guys in the mainland. Discount tires wants $553 for UPS ground shipping to Hawaii!

BTW, your price should be $685 right? You didn't get the $25 online discount?
Shipping almost always nails the island folk. I could live with the few negatives you have to endure. It's too bad a way wasn't found to keep the Superferry service alive. Seemed like a great way to boost intra-island transport.

No online discount that I'm aware of. The price was $205 each, or $820 delivered, less two rebates of $110. Another $60 was available if purchased on a Goodyear Credit Card, which I don't have, or want. Someone mentioned a $100 rebate for TreadLightly members, but I haven't found any details on that.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #96
IKA fabrications

That's the price I got in my cart. There should be a $25 web discount in addition to the $60 goodyear and $50 discounttire card.
The superferry was amazing! I only got to use it once. Load up your own car with all your crap. Drive on, hang out on nice lounge seating for a bit, then drive off without looking back. So much better than getting on a plane and renting a car all while dragging around luggage. Cheaper too. The Superferry dock on Maui was right across an Ihop, so you could grab a bunch of take out breakfast and bring it onboard to eat while on the ferry. The ferry did have a good bar/kitchen, it was just expensive.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #97
Backdoor Commentator

The tires just shipped. I usually use TireRack, but they need to offer better pricing. I ordered a set of General Grabber AT2 for my Subaru from Discount Tire and was happy with the service and price.

We didn't use the ferry (or IHOP) while on Maui, but we saw both. Sure seemed like a good thing for the islands. By not doing the proper EIS, they screwed themselves. Once the dolphin huggers had that for a legitimate club, Superferry was going down. My guess is all of the concerns could've been nullified or greatly mitigated. What pisses me off about that kind of controversy is that all of the objections could be bunk, but we'll never know.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #98

Quote:
Ordered a set of DuraTracs for $710 (after rebates), delivered. I'll mount and balance them myself.
Sweet, those appear to be some good tires for DDing and mild wheeling.
Oh, and I'm envious of you being able to mount and balance your own tires. If I could do that and alignments I would never go to a shop again.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #99
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Sweet, those appear to be some good tires for DDing and mild wheeling.
Oh, and I'm envious of you being able to mount and balance your own tires. If I could do that and alignments I would never go to a shop again.
A friend has a No-Mar setup. I think it'll handle those wheels and tires, but I may have to make the trip to a tire shop. I've been fortunate enough to find one that doesn't make a habit of chewing up my wheels.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #100
Backdoor Commentator

I ordered a VIAIR 400P-RV Automatic from Amazon for $231, delivered. I was going to borrow a friend's 450P-A, but decided I really wanted to keep a good compressor in the truck, and that's a good price.

Blueinstinct's Cover Combo is on the way.

Products Discussed in this Thread