Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #101
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery

They look better on the wheels than in the bed.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #103
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Nice! 265/75/r16?
Yes. Seemed the best fit for weight, clearance, and towing. I can already feel an improvement in ride over the BFG Rugged Trail. A little noise, but not nearly as bad as I feared.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I had the same tires and they rode great compared to the stock Dunflops on my Sport. Their soft sidewall (C load rating) caused some wandering and sway during heavy towing of my horunner, so I decided to try something different. Other than that I loved them.
My pop-up camper is, at most, 2000 lbs, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem. Installing OME Dakar springs with Timbren SES should help, too.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
After talking with my dealership about re-routing the crossover pipe and welding on the sliders, I'm skipping both. With only 650 miles on the truck, I don't want to risk voiding the warranty.
At 8800 miles, I'm getting the damn crossover pipe re-routed next week. No matter how I spaced the t-case skid plate, I kept having problems with the exhaust rattling against it, or small rocks getting between the skid and exhaust, leading to rattles. What a stupid design.

$200 later, and it's done. The guy did a nice job, but if Toyota would've put a flange in the route after the converter, it would've been easier. Photos later.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #107

Back from Utah, and other than SuperBumps front / Timbren SES rear, I kept the stock OR suspension for the trip. I was going to get the lift done, but decided it'd be stupid to do all of that work a few days before a major trip. As it was, the OR parts did better with tire & bump upgrades than last fall's Utah trip. The Timbrens made a big difference in sag when towing my pop-up camper. I never rode in the back seat, but judging from the lack of complaints, the ride was more comfortable than with the stock bump stops and tires.

Prior to the trip, I did a lot of work on my garage. It's now fully insulated, and I mounted two cabinets on a dolly so I can reconfigure the shop to allow space to walk around the Tacoma with the overhead door closed. It's noticeably cooler in the sun, and the AC unit is more effective.

I also finished some other house and camper work, but as far as the truck goes, I completed this list before the trip:

Greased U-joints
Relocated 7-pole trailer receptacle to a bumper tag light hole
Mounted electric trailer brake controller
Reinstalled skid plates
Installed keyed Pop n Lock
Installed bed corner brackets
Installed rear differential breather extension
Configured adjustable draw bar and ball

I skipped these tasks:

Install new suspension
Mount Hi-Lift Jack, shovel, and axe
Install additional D-rings
Fabricate heat shield for crossover exhaust pipe re-route

I've been busy blowing, wiping, and washing a lot of red out of the truck and camper today. Photos later.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #108
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting on pics
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #109

I grabbed these off of the kid's camera. They'll have to do for now. I can see the need for a GoPro on family trips, since no one wanted to get off their ass to spot or take photos.

That was from the middle of the Tower Arch Trail in Arches NP, mixed within the dunes along the Salt Valley. The southern, sandy section is fairly easy stuff, but the first half is rated 5 using the Red Rock 4-wheelers 1-10 rating system commonly used in the Moab area. The stock OR suspension did well, but I could've used a little more clearance and stiffer springs. Good thing I had those at home.

A new Land Cruiser and a new F-250 made the turn to start the trail with me. The Ford took a look at the rocky climb and turned around. The Land Cruiser gave it a shot, but shortly after the first climb, I saw the driver on foot, watching me creep through. $80k, but it doesn't come with a pair, so he turned around, too.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #110
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
here.. I lightned that first pic for you.. hard to see the tires before.
Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #111

Arrgh, my eyes!

Thanks. I didn't bother doing any post-processing on those, just slapped them up. I thought my crappy netbook display was just too dim.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #112
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Pics of the land cruiser turning around would've been nice
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Pics of the land cruiser turning around would've been nice
True. I requested just that, but my support crew didn't want to get out of the truck, and I was having too much fun spotting/driving to do it. I should've climbed back up and told the guy I'd work with him to get down. I really thought he was going to continue, since what was left wasn't that much worse than what he'd already done.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #114
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd! Have you installed the suspension yet?! This is the exact build that I am going to do! FOX ex c/o's, Fox FJ rears, and Dakar springs. You have done a good job getting all the details and info together! How much did it cost to get the FJ's revalved and have the 12mm sleeve installed? Can't wait to hear how things are w/this set up!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #115

It's all still sitting in my garage, next to the truck.

I don't think DSM charged any extra to do the bushings or the valve adjustments.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #116
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
So you get your stuff installed yet? It's been 5 days since I hit you up last! lol! I have another question for you though...what's up with the different size spanner wrenches? Why not the 2.5 preload and 2.5 backup? Why the 2.0? School me please. Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #117

2 different lock ring sizes on the coilovers.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Hiya! Nice build thread so far. You have any pics of your exhaust cross over to share? I like Chepo's. How did yours turn out?
Thanks.

No photos of the re-route yet. Chepo's is prettier, but I think the shop did ok on mine. No noticeable difference in performance or sound, and no more 1500 rpm rattle from it spanking the t-case skid.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #120
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Installed most of the BudBuilt 1/4" aluminum skid combo today. I'm still waiting on the tank skid, but that should be an easy install.

Everything fit well. I had to give a few taps with a deadblow hammer to seat the crossmember and a few carriage bolts, but otherwise, Bud did a good job of keeping to his specs. The only disappointment was that all of the washers were plated steel instead of stainless steel. I paid extra for stainless steel hardware and expected that to mean that everything would be stainless; guess not. Bud shipped stainless steel nyloc nuts instead of lock washers, and I appreciated that improvement.

I'm not terribly concerned with appearances, but I do prefer things not look like ass. Bud did a good job of deburring and cleaning the parts, but raw aluminum plate has a fairly shiny finish, and all of the fabrication marks made it look a little rough. Being aluminum, I didn't feel like painting the plate only to have it scratched and flaking off. I don't have access to a sand blaster, and I didn't want to wait a week to have it done.
Have you had these off road and if so any pics as to how they are holding up. I am a casual and seldom off roader but want better security that the tin they call armor from the factory

Products Discussed in this Thread