Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #121
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Have you had these off road and if so any pics as to how they are holding up. I am a casual and seldom off roader but want better security that the tin they call armor from the factory
I've smacked them fairly hard on a few trails in Utah. With the stock suspension, even the best lines will result in dragging the skids a little. The roughest trail I've been on is the Tower Arch Trail and some connecting trails in Arches National Park, rated a 5/10 in the local Moab system. I'm certain I would've damaged my transfer case without them. I'll post some photos of the underside this weekend.

They won't take the abuse 3/16" steel will, but I didn't want that level of protection. I wouldn't recommend them for rock crawling, but for expedition travel and the moderately rough trails I drive, I think they're the right combination of protection and weight.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #123
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Great wheeling pics. Its not often that I wish I lived in the mainland.
Waiting on exhaust re-route pics.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #124
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Great wheeling pics. Its not often that I wish I lived in the mainland.
Waiting on exhaust re-route pics.
I forgot I'd never posted any trip photos.

I'm doing an oil change this weekend, so I'll shoot the crossover for you.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #125
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Have you installed that suspension yet?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #126
Backdoor Commentator

I installed the bump stops and put the bushings in the springs. Oh, and I installed the rest of it back into boxes. Baby steps.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #127
brian121599 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Master Sergeant (retired)
Name: Brian
brian121599's Tacoma Gallery
How hard was your Pop n lock install? Did it affect your back up camera at all? ie angle or anything after moving it to the opposite side of the handle? Just got my 2013 DCLB and orded my tonneau. Need a lock for the tailgate now but affraid of installing the powered pop n lock due to the possibility of lock outs. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #128
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian121599 View Post
How hard was your Pop n lock install? Did it affect your back up camera at all? ie angle or anything after moving it to the opposite side of the handle? Just got my 2013 DCLB and orded my tonneau. Need a lock for the tailgate now but affraid of installing the powered pop n lock due to the possibility of lock outs. Thanks!
Easy. Maybe took 30 minutes, and it didn't significantly affect the camera POV.

There's a gasket from the OEM handle that has to be transferred to the new part, and I had to stretch it a little to get it to fit. Other than that, it was a simple installation. I don't use the lock often, and I didn't want to mess with the wiring for the powered model.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #129
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I've been following your build for awhile now and I'm really liking what I see. Highly jealous of the territory that's immediately available to ride and explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I don't believe the part number changes, but they do rate them + and - to denote the amount of lift they deliver, since there are some variations in manufacturing. Typically, a + and - are paired, with the + being placed on the driver's side to compensate for the "Tacoma lean", caused by fuel & driver weight. I'm not too worried about it, since I can fine tune the front lift with the coilovers. We'll see how it goes.
There is +, -, & 0. Your explanation for the + and - is correct insofar as the manufacturing vs OEM tolerances is concerned, but the 0 is a neutral, meaning it's on par with OEM measurements. For example my Dakars had a 0 and a - and I installed them with the neutral on the passenger side. As a result I had ghetto lean until I reversed the leaf packs. Once I did that the lean disappeared.

Quote:
I ordered a VIAIR 400P-RV Automatic from Amazon for $231, delivered. I was going to borrow a friend's 450P-A, but decided I really wanted to keep a good compressor in the truck, and that's a good price.
Great find.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #130
Backdoor Commentator

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the O designation. I don't remember seeing that before, and it makes sense. I would've been happier with a O and - , since I don't want quite that much lift.

The only difference in the VIAIR RV model is it comes with a second air hose and an air chuck to reach an inside dual. I bought it instead of the regular 400P since it was a little cheaper and came with the accessories. The bag was junk, but everything else works well.

You should check out Bullaculla's truck. Similar suspension (his is installed), and some other very nice additions.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #131
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. I wasn't aware of the O designation. I don't remember seeing that before, and it makes sense. I would've been happier with a O and - , since I don't want quite that much lift.

The only difference in the VIAIR RV model is it comes with a second air hose and an air chuck to reach an inside dual. I bought it instead of the regular 400P since it was a little cheaper and came with the accessories. The bag was junk, but everything else works well.

You should check out Bullaculla's truck. Similar suspension (his is installed), and some other very nice additions.
Thanks for added info about the compressor. I followed the link you provided to your thread about it and answered my question. More detailed info is always appreciated though

I'll snap a picture of my Dakars tomorrow; the lean that I had before I swapped the 0 to the drivers side was ridiculous. I'm sitting on Icons on all four corners; should be creating a build thread sometime soon.

I've actually been following Bullaculla's build thread and have gotten some good ideas (as well as from yours) on what I'd like to add to my truck. This place = #1 capital expenditure.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #132
Backdoor Commentator

Ordered a set of Wet Okole seat covers today as part of the now closed WO Group Buy.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #133
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I love my WO seat covers! What color/options did you go with?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #134
Backdoor Commentator

Standard Black, with Charcoal #11 center, front & rear. Front seat back pockets, passenger lumbar support. No piping, no applique, no heater, no gun or sunglass pockets, no pet leash.

WO gave us 20% off, and included a center console cover & seat care kit. $476, delivered.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #135
Backdoor Commentator

V6 exhaust crossover re-route

Quote:
I forgot I'd never posted any trip photos.

I'm doing an oil change this weekend, so I'll shoot the crossover for you.
A few things lined up, and I got under the truck this afternoon. I had the re-route done a few months ago.

The OEM mount was re-used to support the new pipe. There's a dark spot on the skid in front of the crossmember where the OEM pipe rubbed the skid.

There's about 2" of clearance between the pipe and driveshaft. I've checked to see if the shaft was getting hot (it wasn't). I thought about adding a heat shield just above the exhaust to separate it, but I may not worry about it.

The stub was plugged and left on in case I wanted to return to the OEM routing. It was also easier to weld that way, and it hasn't caused any problems.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #136
Backdoor Commentator

Fluid Film update

I applied a heavy coat of FF a year ago using an undercoating gun. After 10,000 miles, including a few weeks in Colorado and Utah, this was the worst dust accumulation I could find.

That's the rear side of the crossmember in front of the rear axle. Any more dust than that has easily washed off. Not that I expect to see much rust on a new vehicle, but other than the exhaust, I found none. Before I re-apply this fall, I'll drop all of the skids, put it on some ramps, and clean it up a little with a brush and Simple Green.

I also installed the gas tank skid. More here.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #137
TACOlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
TACOlin's Tacoma Gallery
First off, sweet build! Fun to look at. Also, can you tell me what you think about your scangauge II? I'm straddling the fence between the scangauge and ultra gauge because I'm not sure I could reap all the benefits of the different functions of the scangauge for what I do. So did you ever look into the ultragauge? I'm interested to hear your opinion, thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #138
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOlin View Post
First off, sweet build! Fun to look at. Also, can you tell me what you think about your scangauge II? I'm straddling the fence between the scangauge and ultra gauge because I'm not sure I could reap all the benefits of the different functions of the scangauge for what I do. So did you ever look into the ultragauge? I'm interested to hear your opinion, thanks!
Thanks.

I bought the SGII several years ago. It'll do a little bit more than the UG, but the UG is nicer to look at and costs much less. From what I've seen, the only feature of the SGII has that makes much of a difference over the UG is the ability to monitor ATF temperature. If I was buying today, I'd probably get the UG.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #139
TACOlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
TACOlin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks.

I bought the SGII several years ago. It'll do a little bit more than the UG, but the UG is nicer to look at and costs much less. From what I've seen, the only feature of the SGII has that makes much of a difference over the UG is the ability to monitor ATF temperature. If I was buying today, I'd probably get the UG.
Thanks for getting back to me. And yeah I've been doing alot of reading on the two and other than the screen customizability of the SG, the only difference I noticed was the ATF temp. But I have a 6-speed so Im pretty sure I wouldn't be able to use that function so I think I'm gonna go with the UG. Plus the price difference is nice Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #140
IKA fabrications

I finally ordered a Viair 400P-RV. Thanks for the suggestion

Products Discussed in this Thread