Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Smile DoorDing's 2012 Tacoma Build

2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab/Short Bed, Off-Road & Towing Packages

Marathon, TX

Black Gap Road, Big Bend National Park

Chisos Mountains sunset, Big Bend National Park

Front Suspension - installation notes & full suspension parts list
Fox 2.5 Pro Series Front OEM replacement coilovers for 2005+ Tacoma
Part# 880-02-418-A (26.5 lbs each): Extended 22.51" - Collapsed 17.58" - Stroke 4.93"

SPC - Light Racing Upper Control Arms: Part# 25470 (9 lbs each)
Wheeler's Off-Road SuperBumps: Part# WHE 01SUPERBUMPKIT
MOOG Problem Solver Caster / Camber Cam Bolt Kit: Part# K100128 - TW thread
Extended brake hoses front & rear - Review

Rear Suspension
Fox 2.0 Pro Series Rear Shocks for FJ Cruiser, with Piggyback reservoir & CD Adjuster
Part# 980-02-417-A (8.5 lbs each): Extended 24.464" - Collapsed 14.839" - Stroke 9.625"

OME 2.75" lift Dakar Leaf Springs (top overload removed): Part# CS047R (71 lbs each) - OZ-T Anti-Squeak Solution
Timbren SES rear bump stops: Part# TORTUN4L - Review

Wheels & Tires
OEM 16" Off-Road Package wheels
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/75-16 C (LT265/75R16C1 112Q W), including spare tire - Review

Armor
BudBuilt 5 piece skid plate combo (1/4" aluminum) - Review
V6 exhaust crossover pipe rerouted for better skid plate fit - Review
Famous Fabrication Rock Sliders (out of production) - Review

Exterior
Plasticolor 11"x19" Mud Guards - Review
WeatherTech Stone & Bug Deflector: Part# 50209
X-Pel Headlight Protection: Part# H0125B - Review
Fluid Film undercoating treatment - Review
AntennaX EuroStyle 13" flexible AM/FM antenna: Part# F010-TOY17

Interior
Wet Okole seat covers
WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats: Part# 444531-440213
Auto Ventshade Stepshield Black Door Sill Protector: Part #91021
Blueinstinct's Cover Combo

Cargo Management
PrInSu Design Studio Roof Rack, with six additional crossbars (60 lbs)
Softopper bed topper with storage boot: Part# TCCC60 - Review
BedRug bed & tailgate mat: Part# BMY05DCS - Review
Quick Fist 8 Piece Mounting Kit: Part# QF-90010
JP Metal Fab Stainless Steel HOOK-UPS Custom Tie-Down Bracket Kit: Part# hu_toytac
Rubbermaid ActionPackers - 24 gal. (#1172) x 2, and 48 gal. (#1192) x 1
Army Surplus Warehouse - Rope Ring with Clip B21 (bed D-rings)

Tekonsha P3 electric brake controller: Part# 90195
Hopkins Multi-Tow Trailer Connector Adapter (7-Way to 5-Wire Flat/4-Wire Flat and 12-V Socket): Part# 47675
Convert-A-Ball Dual-Cushioned, Adjustable Ball Mount: Part# UM
Pop & Lock tailgate lock: Part# PL5300 superseded by PL5500

Shelter
DAC Full - Size Truck Tent
Sleeping platform, with frame to support tent

Recovery
Hi-Lift All-Cast 60" Jack: Part# HL-605
Hi-Lift Handle-Keeper (Black): Part# HK-B
Hi-Lift Lift-Mate: Part# LM-100
Hi-Lift Off-Road Base: Part# ORB
Hi-Lift Jack Off-Road Kit: Part# ORK
Hi-Lift Jack Fix-It-Kit: Part# FK-1
Rescue 42 JackMate
Overland XT Hi-Lift Slider Adapter
Warn Receiver Shackle Bracket: Part# 29312
Grade 70 3/8''x25' Chain
Assorted straps and shackles

VIAIR 400P-RV Automatic portable compressor: Part# 40047
Lisle Tire Deflator Set: Part# 19860
ARB Orange Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit: Part# 10000010
Slime Tire Repair Strings 30 Pack x 2: Part# 1031-A
Clore Automotive Jump Starter: Part# JNC660 - Review

Diagnostic
2012 Tacoma, Toyota Factory Service Manual (download in progress)
ScanGauge II
Windows scantool that looks an awful lot like Toyota Techstream

Upcoming Projects
Install rear limit straps
Install bed D-rings
Build sleeping platform

I originally started this thread with some questions about skid plates, but it developed into a build thread and I asked tacomaman06 to change the title.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I never heard back from Relentless. From what I've read, Eric is already swamped, so I doubt he'll miss my business. He also doesn't appear to stock an aluminum tank skid, so I was probably going to at least order that from BudBuilt anyway.

I ended up calling BudBuilt and was told that they have had a hard time getting material in, but they'd work on getting the aluminum as soon as I ordered. Lisa said that the aluminum parts are roughly half the weight of the steel equivalents, and was very pleasant on the phone.

I ordered their 5 piece combo. A few minutes later, they emailed to say they had all of the parts in stock with the exception of the tank skid, and they could probably knock one out in 2-3 weeks. I'm planning a Utah trip for next month, so that should work. If it looks like the tank skid is holding up the rest of the order too long, I'll pay to have them break up the shipment. Lisa been responding very quickly to my emails about the need for paint protection (there isn't, at least in my area), and about re-routing the execrable crossover pipe. I'm very pleased with how helpful she's been.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
This should be posted in the 2nd gen section. Maybe a mod will move it for you, no big deal.

Check out armortech offroad. He makes some good stuff. I would go with armortech or relentless if I had a 2nd gen.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
check out armour tech offroad (ATO) is another options for skid plates and armour. You will need to do the exhaust pipe crossover or "y pipe" mod.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
This should be posted in the 2nd gen section. Maybe a mod will move it for you, no big deal.

Check out armortech offroad. He makes some good stuff. I would go with armortech or relentless if I had a 2nd gen.
Thanks for the response.

Hmmm ... I thought I originally started this in the "2nd Gen. Tacomas" section, but it looks like it's in the "2nd Gen. Builds" section at the moment. If there's an "Armor" sub-forum, I didn't see it. Actually, leaving it in "2nd Gen. Builds" and re-titling it later may make the most sense. Regardless, if a mod stumbles across this thread, I'd be thankful if it was put in the right sub-forum, whatever that may be.

I already placed my order with BudBuilt. I'm sure other shops could crank out an aluminum set, but I like knowing that Bud has some experience working with the material and his designs, and I hope that pays off in the end. His steel products seem to keep people happy, too.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
check out armour tech offroad (ATO) is another options for skid plates and armour. You will need to do the exhaust pipe crossover or "y pipe" mod.
Bud said that doing the re-route will gain almost 1.25" of clearance, so I'll get that done in a few days. He'll adjust the plates accordingly. I'd like to know what bonehead came up with that exhaust solution for an offroad vehicle.

I looked at several other lines like Relentless, ATO, and ASFIR, and I think BudBuilt will get me what I'm after, too. I'm not in a huge rush, but I'd much rather have some armor mounted before my Utah trip next month, and I think BB can make that happen. After I rip up my bumper, maybe I can hold it together with duct tape and wait out a sweet replacement from one of the other shops.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
look forward to seeing the tape job haha
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck man. Im running bud builts to. Did you get aluminum skids? If you got steel I would recomend beefing them up a little while they are still straight, it makes it much easier that way. Mine are all bent to hell now and i wish i had of reinforced them when it would have been easy.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro has a full underbelly armor set. Some of the users here will bash them because they were made of 7 gauge metal, rather than 1/4 plate. I think they've since upped the thickness to 3/16". The vendor page will have some info. I think there was a 10% off special for a holiday a few months ago where they clarified the thicknesses.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #10

I just ordered some Famous Fabrication sliders to go with the BudBuilt skids.
This is starting to look like a build thread after all.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

After talking with my dealership about re-routing the crossover pipe and welding on the sliders, I'm skipping both. With only 650 miles on the truck, I don't want to risk voiding the warranty.

I talked with Bud and he's making the skids work with the OEM exhaust routing. The set should ship by next week, giving me time to install them before I go to Utah.

No dates on the sliders, yet. I hope they make it to me in time. Returning with body damage to find them waiting for me would really suck.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
by law, your warranty will not be voided as a result of you doing mods to your truck. The dealership can only avoid doing warranty service on your truck if they can prove the mod directly caused the problem that you are claiming.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
by law, your warranty will not be voided as a result of you doing mods to your truck. The dealership can only avoid doing warranty service on your truck if they can prove the mod directly caused the problem that you are claiming.
I know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Actually, your warranty definitely can be voided by a modification. The issue becomes whether the modification is at fault. In this case, it's possible to make a credible argument that it could have a negative effect.

If I have a problem with the emission system or transfer case, it'd be very easy for Toyota to point to the modified exhaust and claim that was the culprit, and they'd have a point. Moving the crossover pipe could put more heat into the transfer case, and it could have an effect on the catalytic converter or O2 sensor operation. I'd argue the point and quite possibly win the debate, but I'd rather just avoid the issue altogether.

Once you make a change like that, you have to face the possibility that any complications arising from it will be your responsibility. I'm not willing to do that yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I know about the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Actually, your warranty definitely can be voided by a modification. The issue becomes whether the modification is at fault. In this case, it's possible to make a credible argument that it could have a negative effect.

If I have a problem with the emission system or transfer case, it'd be very easy for Toyota to point to the modified exhaust and claim that was the culprit, and they'd have a point. Moving the crossover pipe could put more heat into the transfer case, and it could have an effect on the catalytic converter or O2 sensor operation. I'd argue the point and quite possibly win the debate, but I'd rather just avoid the issue altogether.

Once you make a change like that, you have to face the possibility that any complications arising from it will be your responsibility. I'm not willing to do that yet.
Your warranty as a whole cannot be voided by a single modification. Do the re route right and you will be fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Your warranty as a whole cannot be voided by a single modification. Do the re route right and you will be fine.
Correct. In this instance, it could just be the warranty coverage of a transfer case or catalytic converter. I'm not concerned enough about gaining 1" of clearance to bother with it.

Also, who do you think is the final arbitor of the "rightness" of a modification. I'd say Toyota is in a much better position to determine that than me, a muffler shop, or an internet forum. In a nasty civil dispute, that can make all the difference.

You're missing my point, but thank you for the advice.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is it! If you do it correctly there won't be any problems... actually, if there is any damage on the "stock" crosspipe, Toyota will blame the damage and will void your warranty as well...

here's a picture of how I did mine, actually I asked to put a heat shield (just in case)

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #17

Chepo, that's the cleanest shot I've seen of the re-route. If you have more, please add them. I'd really like to see how that joins into the main pipe. Nicely done build page.

To be clear, I didn't say I'll never do the re-route. I'll wait until the warranty is up and take it from there. I don't have the skid plates yet, and I'd rather have them in hand before doing the work anyway. I'm thinking that the best way to deal with the heat would be adding an aluminum heat shield to the rear edge of the transfer case skid. I've got the tools to modify the skid if I decide to move the crossover pipe, so it's really not a big deal for me to change it later.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man!

Here they are:

Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #19

They did some nice work keeping the transition so smooth getting into the Y. Thanks for posting these. I'll hang onto them for a few years.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #20

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! They guys that worked on this are the best in Mexico city, I have no idea on bending tubes and all of that stuff! hahaha

Products Discussed in this Thread