Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Bajarnnr's 2012 4wd TRD DC Tacoma build

Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
so did you get the skids with the extra room so you don't have to modify the exhaust? Mind me asking how much they were with shipping
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Rock magnet
BajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement: Police Sergeant
Name: Drew
BajaRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
so did you get the skids with the extra room so you don't have to modify the exhaust? Mind me asking how much they were with shipping
No I got the transfer case skid smooth. I'm going to get the crossover pipe modified. I didn't want to get the skid with the plating to protect the crossover pipe, it's just something to get hung up on. I think I paid $804 for all three skids with tax and shipping.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #24
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
good lookin truck! white FTW
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRunner View Post
No I got the transfer case skid smooth. I'm going to get the crossover pipe modified. I didn't want to get the skid with the plating to protect the crossover pipe, it's just something to get hung up on. I think I paid $804 for all three skids with tax and shipping.
What's the wait time for the skids?? We should get together and do some trails since it looks like we're close to each other, I'm in the North Hollywood area
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
Rock magnet
BajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud of

Quote:
What's the wait time for the skids?? We should get together and do some trails since it looks like we're close to each other, I'm in the North Hollywood area
I got lucky all three skids were in stock. If you want the T-case skid with the armor for the crossover pipe he has them in stock. You should be able to get the skids delivered within two weeks of placing your order. Mine should be here next week. I already crushed in my driverside rocker panel while snow wheeling over scattered rocks. $500 lesson learned! I'm down for a trail run, just being extra careful until I have all the armor mounted up.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Be Good or Be Good At It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRunner View Post
I got lucky all three skids were in stock. If you want the T-case skid with the armor for the crossover pipe he has them in stock. You should be able to get the skids delivered within two weeks of placing your order. Mine should be here next week. I already crushed in my driverside rocker panel while snow wheeling over scattered rocks. $500 lesson learned! I'm down for a trail run, just being extra careful until I have all the armor mounted up.
You have a number for him? I sent him a PM but no answer and his website contact page doesn't work

I learned that rocker lesson on my 1st Tacoma that's why I've been waiting to go wheeling on my 12' Tacoma. Just hot them installed after waiting 7 weeks for them
Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
Rock magnet

Quote:
You have a number for him? I sent him a PM but no answer and his website contact page doesn't work

I learned that rocker lesson on my 1st Tacoma that's why I've been waiting to go wheeling on my 12' Tacoma. Just hot them installed after waiting 7 weeks for them
(541) 373-0000 Eric is a good guy, he called me back within an hour of calling and leaving a message. I suspect he's swamped with filling orders, probably keeping him from checking emails and PM's.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #30
Be Good or Be Good At It

Cool, I appreciate you answering all my questions. Sounds like we have a really similar build going on!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
Rock magnet

Ubolt flip kit installed, front/rear Timbrens installed and Weather Techs installed.

Ubolt flip kit and rear Timbrens:

Front Timbrens:

Weather Tech digital floor liners:

New photos of the Kenwood TM-V71A, Diamond adhesive mount and diamond antenna in the above post.

Now just waiting on skids and sliders!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #32
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Nice project Drew!

Is this going to be a Baja and desert pre-runner for race preparation? (basing that on you handle)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
Rock magnet

Thanks! Built for weekend expo wheeling and occasional chase support for Becerra racing. My call sign is based of my previous build, my 2006 2wd 4Runner, built by Tim at DMZ fab.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #34
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!

There is a friend of mine who uses the handle 'thebajarunner' on Baja Nomad forums... He is a former off road racer (Class 8) from the NORRA and early SCORE days in Baja. He is friends with Parnelli Jones and was with the late Mickey Thompson...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
Rock magnet

Got a question for those that have done the 3 leaf AAL with the all pro ubolt flip with Timbrens. Anyone get a strange thud noise when going over speed bumps, or when entering a driveway at low speeds? Ever since I came back from Hollister two weeks ago, I'm getting this annoying thud noise from the rear of my truck and for the life of me can't figure out what it is. I thought it might be the Timbrens making contact with the frame, or my chopped over the axle exhaust bouncing, but I'm not so sure it's either.

I remember when I was at Hollister starting my second attempt at a steep black diamond hill, in the rain, in slipperier than snot mud, when I realized my parking brake was on. While still on the gas and barely moving forward, I released the parking brake and heard a mild bang and a slight shudder before the truck smoothly picked up speed. I don't know what posessed me to do this. No broken axle or brakes, everything is operating without issue, but ever since I've been getting this thud noise over bumps. I washed off about one hundred pounds of mud from my suspension and under carriage, so I'm wondering if that has had an effect on my rear suspension. If anyone else is experiencing this and it's normal with converting to the all pro ubolt flip with Timbrens, let me know before I go out of my mind? I can easily replicate the noise every time I hit the speed bumps on my street, at work and when entering/exiting my driveway.

My rear suspension consists of:

Icon 3 leaf AAL's minus lead leaf
Icon 2.5 remote resi shocks
All Pro Ubolt flip with Timbren's
2 degree angle shims
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Rock magnet

Ubolts are tight, upper and lower shock mounts are tight and all the lug nuts are tight. I'm going to check the rear brakes next. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions at this point.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
Sockless... is on a distinguished road

Name: Joshua
Sockless...'s Tacoma Gallery
truck is looking good! hows the armor and 285 hitting your MPGs?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Rock magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockless... View Post
truck is looking good! hows the armor and 285 hitting your MPGs?
The 285's alone have put a sizeable dent in my mileage. I'm probably getting about 270 miles per fill up, so I'm hoping the under armor and the sliders (being built) won't make it too much worse. After my last wheeling trip up in Hollister in the rain and slick mud I'm not too happy with the BFG A/T's, so I'm going to maybe try to sell them and pick up a set of KM2's or MT/R's. Gearing wasn't that high up on the list of mods, but I might need to look into 4.56 gears next.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #40

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Have you calibrated your speedometer for the taller tires? The stock 265/70-16 actually run the speedometer too fast, making you think your mileage is that good. When you go to a taller tire, your gas mileage reading will drop... but may be closer to REAL mileage. I went up to the tallest tire without a lift, the 265/75-16 and my speedometer finally reads the same as my GPS speed.