Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Testiclops Tacoma Build

Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Testiclops is on a distinguished road
Testiclops's Tacoma Gallery
Testiclops Tacoma Build

My name's Sean, and I've been on the site for a while now and have not put a build thread up- shame. Recently I installed suspension and armour, so building this thread now just makes sense.

She's a 2010 Access Cab SR5 4x4 with manual 6-spd transmission.

Suspension Upgrades:
Icon Extended Travel Coil covers (0-3.5")
Icon UCA's
Custom Diff Drop
Icon 2.0'' Aluminum Series RR Rear Shocks (27" extended)
All-Pro Expedition Leaf Packs
All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit

Off-Road/Armour:
ARB Bumper w/ Fog Install
Warn M8000-s w/ Derlin Roller Fairlead
Lightforce 740's

Misc:
Raider Canopy
Yakima Racks w/ Kayak Attachments
'SR5 Expedition' Badges- Sockmonkey
Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat
Extra D-hooks
Fire Extinguisher Mod
Tacoma Stitched Wet Okles- Heated
SS Brake Lines

Potential:
Rear Iron Bumper- brand undecided
Sliders
ARB Airlocker

This is where it all started... the cold, dark, dead of winter in Canada. Bone stock.

There very first thing I did was to install tires, as the stock SR5 tires are garbage. So after some I put on 265/75/R16 Dick Cepek FC-II. They only come in an 8-ply option, wish they came in a 6, since the ride would be a bit better- regardless, still love them.

Next up to bat was to install some lighting. I ended up getting an Aries grill guard and 2-sets of Hella 500F's. Both ended up being a bad call... the Hella's are made of glass and on winter roads with rocks flying always break, so I wouldn't advise. Also, the particular grill guard I got wasn't my first choice, but at the time was cheap and easy. It was flimsy and couldn't protect the truck in anyway shape or form if there was a wildlife impact... all it did was hold up lights...useless.

After the first Canadian winter, I was on the market for a topper. Ended up going with a Raider (I thought and still do think it was the best bang for my buck). Along with the canopy came Yakima racks and a Thule (shortly lived).

Suspension time! No more pussy-footin around: ICONS front and back. Extended travel up front and RR 27" extended 2.0" shocks for the rear. Expedition leaf packs from All-Pro is what I went with to handle the excess weight I always carry around.

Put a U-Bolt flip-kit on as well.

Next came the M8000-s. Instead of using the Aluminum Hause it came with I bought a roller fairlead and fitted it with Derlin rollers (same dimensions as previous rollers, just made from industrial strength plastic). Reason why I did this was I heard it was a better quality fairlead to protect the synthetic line and also it increases the recovery angles since the fairlead sits back within the ARB bumper a significant ways.

Anyways thats all for now. I'll upload some more off-roading pictures soon.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
cowbell is on a distinguished road

Name: tom
cowbell's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of similar set-up ( icon stage 4) and wondered what you think of the ride? Any driveline vibration?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
This is probably a little off topic but... do you only have one testicle? Testi-clops?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell View Post
Thinking of similar set-up ( icon stage 4) and wondered what you think of the ride? Any driveline vibration?
Ride is unreal compared to stock- greatly improved. Only thing with the Expo Leafs is you gotta weigh her down in the back. I had probably ~300lbs in the back and it wasn't so smooth, once it snowed here I put another 150lbs of sandbags in the back, and once I did that the ride smoothed out perfectly.

And driveline vibration, yes. Not bad though, but enough to notice. Usually around 60-70kmph it kicks in, nothing before or after. But again, very minimal.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
This is probably a little off topic but... do you only have one testicle? Testi-clops?
Long story... against all odds I have both. I'm glad we clarified things
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell View Post
Another thing. If you are planning on extra weight in the front (bumper/winch ext), get the 700lb coils. I have the 650's and my buddy has 700's with much the same set-up, and the ride is the same. I was worried that it was going to be stiff with the heavier coil... no difference