1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Norville's 2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Norville, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    Norville

Norville [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Howdy all!

The "Story"
    I've been lurking a bit here and there ... actually been mostly hanging out on the Honda Ridgeline forum site for a loooong time waiting for the refresh of the Ridgeline that never happened.

Long story short, opted for better towing, etc., etc., and now a proud owner of a Tacoma (just picked up yesterday).

Honestly, not sure if this is really going to turn out to be a "build" thread, but just in case it does, thought I post up here. In reality, this great truck will be used primarily as a vacation tow vehicle (still shopping for a camping travel trailer), home improvement assistant, dog hauler, and a rare occasional work truck.

Garage
    A big challenge was to see if it would even fit in the garage with what else I'm storing in there. On paper and measuring it out, I thought it'd fit, but it was very close. Needless to say, it's a TIGHT fit!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For Posterity / Stock
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    Welcome to TW from Truckee :wave:

Also that is a nice looking truck. Cant wait to see the mods to come :spy:.

3. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Norville

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Well, I do have two small ones up and coming ... some Avid bolt-on "sliders" and a shorter antenna (Antenna X).

Three weeks for fab on the sliders though ... so maybe in 5 weeks I can have it powder-coated an installed. Fun stuff.

4. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    blake5995

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    Yea they usually take a while for companies to get out. Can't wait to see the results.
    You plan on lifting it?

5. Oct 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Norville

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hey Blake,

I don't plan on any lifts. Although the tire / rims have me wanting to. I have no real use for a lift other than to fit the wheels / tire size I like (but I'll just spec an appropriate diameter tire instead). Since my vehicle is mostly a tow vehicle, I'd rather maximize my mpg if I can.

I'm not sure I can drop that kind of cash yet on the wheel / tire setup until after I buy my travel trailer ... gotta get an anti-sway bar rig as well as wanting to get a generator I have my eyes on.

On an off-note, I ordered four samples of 3M Di-Noc:

Brushed Black Metallic
    Brushed Steel
    Flat Black
    Satin Black

It's kind of a lark as I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Di-Noc yet (some minor exterior / interior accents ... nothing crazy). I know a lot of people like the carbon fiber (and I do also to a certain degree), but think I want something that doesn't stand out as much.

But at least I'll post some well lit photos of the samples for people to see what they look like in person the best I can.

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Norville

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Tailgate Cable Retainer

Well, time to put on some basics. The hose clamp went on also (next post), but I ran by the local hardware store and picked up (they had limited supply I found out) some stainless 3/8" washers as a "fender" and a modified washer I had as an inside spacer (need to find a real spacer).

My original install was a lock washer as a spacer, but it bugged me that it was slightly larger in diameter ... it worked, but a bit too snug.

The normal 3/8" washer turned out to be around 1.55 mm too small (10.45 mm ID) to fit the 12 mm shoulder where the clip rests. I ended up just hand drilling with a stepped bit to get down to the right size. It would end up being hidden anyway.

Also used was a T40 wrench and some blue Loctite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    blake5995

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    I understand on the lift.
    I personally dont like the look of the stock rims and wheels so i would change them aswell.
    At some point i would like to do 3m carbon fiber on some pieces on my interior.

8. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    switch808

switch808 Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    17x9 Classic II Black-15mm, 265/70/17R Terra Grappler, 2.5" Daystar Front spacers, 1" Low Range Off Road Rear Blocks, TRD Skid Plate, OEM running boards, Tint, painted black TracRac, CV Boot Slide Mod, Magnaflow exhaust
    Hey Norville,

What kind of mpg are you getting? I'm getting about 15.4 mpg with my wheels and racks. I didn't have a chance to see what kind of mileage I got before moding the truck . Do you use ethanol gas?

Thanks!

9. Nov 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    Norville

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've only had one fill up ... second one today, but my mileage is rough on the first tank ... 16.5 mpg. But I have been going almost the max recommended break in speed of 70 mph.

I'll post what I've been getting this last week, but I'm sure it will be pretty close.

Using standard grade regular.

EDIT: Just filled up ... 17.25 mpg stock.

Products Discussed in

To Top