Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Taco from the north

Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
selftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
selftaughtguru's Tacoma Gallery
Taco from the north

So this year I decided to treat myself and bought a Tacoma for my 30th birthday..
It took a lot longer than I'd hope to get but once it showed up I couldn't have been happier. So here it is, my 2013 Pyrite Mica DCSB 6spd Tacoma

It didn't take long to start on the upgrades either, my brother sent me a skid plate which I installed the first day and I had already ordered my tires and lift in. A few days later I got some side steps and am currently waiting for my Rigid lights and AFE intake.
So far i think it's looking pretty good.

The platform:
2013 Toyota Tacoma, DCSB

The Mods
Procomp Nitro 3" Lift
P285/70R17 Toyo Open Country A/T
Smittybuilt/N-fab Nerf Bars
'TRD' 10G Skid plate (don't know where my bro found it but it's sweet)
Rigid Dually and Dually D2 mounted behind the grill
AFE Intake
csjumper LED lights (map, dome and DTRL)
Debadged
Bakflip F1 tonneau cover
Toyota OEM roof rack
ANZO taillights
Switched over to Synthetic oil
Carriage Works black billet grill
Smittybuilt recovery shackle hitch

The Plans
RCD 4" Lift
Allpro Expedition rear springs
ICON Coilovers
Shackle flip
Satoshi or Grillcraft grill
17" Countersteer Type X or SCS Stealth 6
Long tube headers
and realistically anything else I can get my hands on, I'm hooked
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
jdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of light
jdm.obp's Tacoma Gallery
nice start and good looking truck man. Another easy DIY to add should be the BHLM, best cheap mod.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Nice cant wait to see what you do next! Oh and its a 6 spd too!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
TuckerTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Tucker
TuckerTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How do you like those tires? I think am going to get a set of these. Pros/cons, thoughts.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
selftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shedselftaughtguru is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I like my A/Ts zand they've served me well so far but really their's no perfect tire. They're loads better than stock, of course. Low noise and good wet weather traction, fair in the snow and half decent in ice. But they lack the traction of a true snow tire (obviously) and don't clear mud like an M/T. But then they are a 'P' rated tire and a good compromise for a daily driver.
Personally I'll likely be getting 2 more sets of other tires over the next year, MT for fun with mud slinging and some studded winters for the long harsh northern winter.
If you want somthing a bit more aggressive but not too nobby I suggest either the Goodyear Duratracs or maybe Nitto Trail Grappler.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
nice start to a nice truck!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
TuckerTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Tucker
TuckerTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by selftaughtguru View Post
I like my A/Ts zand they've served me well so far but really their's no perfect tire. They're loads better than stock, of course. Low noise and good wet weather traction, fair in the snow and half decent in ice. But they lack the traction of a true snow tire (obviously) and don't clear mud like an M/T. But then they are a 'P' rated tire and a good compromise for a daily driver.
Personally I'll likely be getting 2 more sets of other tires over the next year, MT for fun with mud slinging and some studded winters for the long harsh northern winter.
If you want somthing a bit more aggressive but not too nobby I suggest either the Goodyear Duratracs or maybe Nitto Trail Grappler.
Ok, im torn between Toyo open country and nitto terra grappler AT. 285/70/17
Both are the same price and I will be picking one of these. I don't go off road very much but I like the look of an aggressive tire. What should I go with?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerTacoma View Post
Ok, im torn between Toyo open country and nitto terra grappler AT. 285/70/17
Both are the same price and I will be picking one of these. I don't go off road very much but I like the look of an aggressive tire. What should I go with?
Don't know if you made your choice yet but you're right, tough call. I'm not sure what the wear is like but if you want the more aggressive look go with the NITTO.