Notices

modsquad's ExpoTaco Build

Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
TurtleGuy
modsquad will become famous soon enoughmodsquad will become famous soon enough

Name: Andrew
modsquad's Tacoma Gallery
modsquad's ExpoTaco Build

Welcome to my build thread. Ultimate goal is a rig capable of expedition/overland travel. I live and play in southern Nevada/California so backcountry reliability and dependability are prioridad número uno.

I’ll use this page to post specifics on the truck and pictures / videos.

2010 TRD OR Access Cab 4x4

Currently:

Purchased from Findlay Toyota April 2010:

Suspension:
5100/Eibach/Toytec coilovers spanner adjustable
Total Chaos UCAs
TSB AAL/5100s rear
OME carrier bearing drop

Wheels/Tires:
ProComp 7069s 4.0BS
BFG AT KOs 285/75R16

Engine:
K&N washable/reusable air filter
that’s it!

Protection:
Famous Fabrication high clearance rear bumper w/ custom tire swing-out
Famous Fabrication sliders
All Pro IFS skid
All Pro trans skid
All Pro bumper v.1
All Pro e-locker guard
All Pro u-bolt flip and extended rear brake lines

Electrical:
6K bi-xenon HID headlights
Hella 700ffs (use as critter lights)
RAM no-drill iPad mount
iPad for Nav with Dual remote Bluetooth GPS receiver
GoPoint BT1 Bluetooth ODB-II to iPad interface
Dashcommand App for iPad (displays all ODB vehicle data in real time: performance, fuel consumption, CEL codes, etc.)
Cobra CB
X-bar for bed rail system w/ rear-facing HC amber high visibility light
stock fogs in AP bumper w/ plumbing parts
Blue Sea dual battery isolator system
Blue Sea aux fuse bus
Optima Yellow Top
OTRATTW custom rocker switches

Off-Road Gear:
Rugged Ridge 10K winch
VIAIR onboard air system
Hi-Lift with come-along kit
Wheeler’s tow straps
ARB snatch block
additional recovery/backcountry/safety gear/tools
fire extinguisher

Cosmetic:
Blacked out headlight shrouds
sockmonkey decals

Other Modifications:

cab mount chop (thanks to Famous Fab)
exhaust chopped after axle
diff breather extension
fogs anytime (use as daytime running lights)
bed bar that mounts to rail system

Fun:
GoPro HD Hero2

Future Plans:
camper top w/ custom sleeper shelf and storage
auxiliary fuel tank
roof rack storage etc.
LCA, diff, and gas tank skids
front locker
re-gear
CAI
HAM radio
satellite radio
train horn
PA system

PICTURES FROM THE FIELD

Lake Mead NRA:

Mojave Road:

Death Valleyannual run Feb/Mar 2012 and 2013:

Sin City Wicked FJs:

Rocky Gap:

Logandale:

Famous Fabrication:

LV TacomaWorld:

Thank you TW!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Good job. I simply just don't have the time to edit mine. It's at least 2 years out of date! Lol
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Looking Good.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
THATS A GOOD START love expo rigs
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
gtokarski is on a distinguished road
gtokarski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
Do you have any pictures of your Ipad mount?
And: What software are you using on the ipad for navigation?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
TurtleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
Do you have any pictures of your Ipad mount?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokarski View Post
And: What software are you using on the ipad for navigation?
Here you go:

I obviously need to get a better USB charging setup going, as I now have something like 6 devices that need a USB charge. But I have a solution planned out with the overall electrical upgrade that I am not exactly looking forward to installing.

The last image is the Dual Bluetooth GPS (100$). My ipad is a Wifi only model, but this turns it into a great tool for backcountry navigation.

I use Gaia Offline GPS (http://www.gaiagps.com/). Gaia will download the latest USGS topo maps and then use them offline or out of 3G range, as you should be when you're in the backcountry.

RAM mounts are awesome in general, they make cop car gear and the like. This mount is certainly a clever design. Plus it makes the interior of my truck look sexy. It uses a hand-bendable rod support that took me about 20 minutes to mock up and install using the passenger seat floor bolt. About 80-90$ for the kit I think, with ipad holder, pricey but worth it for the great design. They also offer lockable/dockable ipad/ipod holders but I didn't need those options.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
TurtleGuy

Got my winch installed today, it's been sitting on the garage floor for too long.

It's a Rugged Ridge 10500lb, had good reviews and I got a good deal on it. Really more capacity than I need but it was only 50$ and 10lbs more, and the exact same dimensions. So I went for it.

I put the solenoid box facing outwards through the center hole in the AllPro. I know this is a bad spot if I ever cross deep deep water, but we don't encounter that much out here, and when I do, I stick to high ground and avoid it. Flash floods and deep water are no joke.

I drilled a drain hole in the plastic case since the box tilts forwards. I plan on relocating the whole box later on when I get a mount plate made for it as well as the fuse bus, and I'll put them up high in the engine bay.

This cross beam was just barely interfering with the clutch handle once I put the bumper back on:

So I just removed it. Didn't seem structural and was easily removable with 10mm nuts. Someone please step in if this was a bad maneuver:

Made the right connections, spooled out / re-spooled the cable and I'm good to go. I'll be much happier with the whole setup once the dual battery system is in place:

Also have to crank up the coilovers to compensate, it dropped about 1/2 inch on each side:

Old 10-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
looks good i have a trip to rausch creek planned this coming weekend ill post up some of my pics of upgrades no one knows about yet ...hit up colinb17 if you have ideas about bed and/or roof rack ideas he will build you anything at a very fair price and hes a great guy to deal with....
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
TurtleGuy

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a nice truck!! The ipad mount looks really cool!!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
TurtleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtoy4x4 View Post
So u have 285's now? cool
I have Dwrecks rear bumper prototype on now.
Hopefully finished w/mine soon then on to yours!
I surely hope so, I've been looking forward to a rear end upgrade for a while now. I cant wait to cut into that bedside!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #17
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad View Post
I surely hope so, I've been looking forward to a rear end upgrade for a while now. I cant wait to cut into that bedside!
I will gladly let you cut it! Greg don't see too well so I cut his.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Looking great!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
JRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant futureJRSYJAY has a brilliant future

Name: u need to ask?
JRSYJAY's Tacoma Gallery
u forgot the custom fog light mounts!!!! looks good man!!! just installed my bumper this past weekend..thanks again for the link.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
allian04 is on a distinguished road
allian04's Tacoma Gallery
i have the viair on-board also and am wondering where you are going to mount it and how, right now i have it in my bed but i want to get my bed space back so i am thinking in my spare tire location. im just trying to get ideas