Ta-Co-Ma - AWorthyOpponent's Build and Photo Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
CVAC085 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
CVAC085's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I used fishing line. All you have to do is place it between the emblem and pant and use it to cut the glue like a cheese cutter. then you can pick the residue off and use Goo Gone to wipe away the leftover...really easy. I've done it on my last 3 cars and its never taken over 15 minutes for the whole thing...

Love it. not too loud, not too quiet. It really howls when you get on it but cruising down the highway isn't annoying. Had one on my 2011 as well and I made the choice to get it again rather than just a muffler...even tho it would have been a lot cheaper. Plus its warrantied with your truck if you have the dealer install it...(only cost me $60 for install on my 2011)
Good to know!!! I'd like a little something to add to my truck. I was looking at flowmasters, magnaflow etc. but figured if I stick with TRD it would still be covered under warranty which I was going to ask you. So you read my mind LOL. I'll have to check it out. I've been watching youtube videos about it, but they really don't do justice when I'd really like to hear it in person.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Got new Rims and tires today...

Moto Metal 951 (16x8 +0 Offset)
BFG All Terrain TA KO (LT265-70-R16 load Range D)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #23

Firefighter:
CVAC085's Tacoma Gallery
Always wondered how the black would look with the metallic grey or whatever the colors called lol. ANd that looks really nice!!! I like it!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #24
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAC085 View Post
Always wondered how the black would look with the metallic grey or whatever the colors called lol. ANd that looks really nice!!! I like it!
Thanks...I was worried when I was picking the. Out, but they look even better in person.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #25

Firefighter:
CVAC085's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks...I was worried when I was picking the. Out, but they look even better in person.
Looks great!!!! What did you do to black out the grill???
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAC085 View Post
Looks great!!!! What did you do to black out the grill???
All I had to do was remove the chrome toyota logo and paint it with satin black spray paint. Matched the grille perfectly...

Here's some better pics...

Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All I had to do was remove the chrome toyota logo and paint it with satin black spray paint. Matched the grille perfectly...

Here's some better pics...

Beautiful! I have to ask though, I was confused by your opening post about wish list in terms of 5100's. So are you stock? If I had to guess I'd say you have 5100's at .85 up front. Anyway I'm asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger on some and I'm torn between .85 and 1.75 due to how it will ride. I want the look of 1.75 but don't want it to ride too rough. From what I gather .85 won't be bad.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Beautiful! I have to ask though, I was confused by your opening post about wish list in terms of 5100's. So are you stock? If I had to guess I'd say you have 5100's at .85 up front. Anyway I'm asking because I'm close to pulling the trigger on some and I'm torn between .85 and 1.75 due to how it will ride. I want the look of 1.75 but don't want it to ride too rough. From what I gather .85 won't be bad.
I am stock at the moment. Measuring, I would need to be about 1.75 higher up front to sit level with a full tank of gas. I think that you are pushing the 5100s at their max setting of 2.5, and the ride might be a little rough there, but everyone I've seen has been happy with the 5100s set at 1.75 or .85. Given that the ride will improve, I doubt even at 2.5 that the ride will be worse than stock...
Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Man I swear your front looks to sit higher than mine. Maybe the long bed makes it look different.

I used the floor jack and measured to get an idea and at about .85 on mine looked to be close to yours in the front now.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #30
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Man I swear your front looks to sit higher than mine. Maybe the long bed makes it look different.

I used the floor jack and measured to get an idea and at about .85 on mine looked to be close to yours in the front now.
Well, it is brand new. Perhaps the springs need a couple months to settle? That's why I've been waiting to figure out what I want to do with a lift...Dont want to set 5100's at .85, then have them settle at the same height as they were pre lift...
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
TACOHUNTER12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Luke
TACOHUNTER12's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Truck

Hey still trying to figure out how i posted one picture, but I dont know how to make a profile picture!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOHUNTER12 View Post
Hey still trying to figure out how i posted one picture, but I dont know how to make a profile picture!
You mean how to post a photo into your introduction post? Check this...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...rum-posts.html

Or do you mean a signature picture like this \/ \/ ?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #33
Member Caught Off Road

She hit 5000 miles today on her way to get serviced. While there, the Tech advised he noticed the rear brakes had a slight squeak, and the center console lid squeaked while applying pressure to the rear passenger part of it.

Tech ordered new center console and something for the rear brakes (had a TSB). Should have another appointment early next week to install. Toyota will even give me a rental while the brakes are repaired.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #34
Member Caught Off Road

UWS Toolbox Installed...Birthday present from the woman...

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Truck! So nice, Just curious why did you not get 265/75/16's?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #36
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtacoma88 View Post
Awesome Truck! So nice, Just curious why did you not get 265/75/16's?
IIRC, the 265/75/16 is a load range E...these are load range D...better ride, and I drive ALOT...lol. Load range E tires dig into the sand here in florida a lot more too cause of their stiff sidewalls, and occasionally I drive on the beach behind my house. Don't have to air down the D's like I would the E's.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Lurker Extraordinaire
Loutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant futureLoutennant has a brilliant future
Air Force: Tech Sgt (Vet)
Name: Chris
Loutennant's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great and I love that MGM color. Sub'd. Can't wait to see the future upgrades as time and $$ allow.

Are you glad you went with the TRD Sport over the Off-Road?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #38
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutennant View Post
Are you glad you went with the TRD Sport over the Off-Road?
Yeah...I had the TRD Off Road when I bought my 2011...

I never needed the locker...which was the main reason behind the OR. The Sport has the color matched options which look better, and for every day driving, the rear diff is actually stronger. ATRAC on my old truck was used once to play with it, but it wasn't needed as it just felt like a stronger version of the ALSD. Good to have the option, but if youre doing that kind of off roading, why not get the stronger diff and add an arb air locker...

Long story short, I chose to go with the Sport. Even with the LB, it handles fine off road...as long as you dont end up high centered on something...I chose the LB (and theoretically had to go with a sport) because of the ability to have a tool box. A tool box on a SB would have effectively made the bed unusable every day.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #39
xcracer48 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: C-5 structural mechanic
Name: Cameron
xcracer48's Tacoma Gallery
Why do I see a lot of people going with 16 inch wheels? Better ride? Cheaper tires? The only thing I could think of was better ride for off road use. I guess I'm just a bigger rim guy coming from a f250 with 22x14 rims.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #40
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcracer48 View Post
Why do I see a lot of people going with 16 inch wheels? Better ride? Cheaper tires? The only thing I could think of was better ride for off road use. I guess I'm just a bigger rim guy coming from a f250 with 22x14 rims.
All of the above...

Cheaper replacement tires, better off road, softer ride on road, everything. I like the look of 17's on the Tacoma, but with the same combo setup I wanted, it was about $600 more expensive. Bigger rims are going to let the truck control better (theoretically) when matched with smaller tires. That's the main reason I see bigger trucks going with more rim, less tire.

At the end of the day, 16 vs 17 or 18 is your call. I went with 16 because it was cheaper, and the tires i wanted were load range D in 16" and C in 17". Cheaper tires that will last longer and you cant really tell the difference...

Products Discussed in this Thread