Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Ta-Co-Ma - AWorthyOpponent's Build and Photo Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #41
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Torn between my next mod....

Cant decide whether I want to get. Leaning towards the retros...but dont know how long the wait is...

a) Retros from Burt (ambiguous)
b) Skidplate from Matt123 (Matt123)
c) Billstein 5100's set to 1.75"
d) Avid Off Road Light Bar (brandonaz)
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #42
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Good looking truck.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #44
lowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowercaselong is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
lowercaselong's Tacoma Gallery
looking good.
what method did you use to black out the front logo?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercaselong View Post
looking good.
what method did you use to black out the front logo?
Just popped it off, cleaned it with soap and water to get any dirt off, and hit it with Rustoleum Satin black. 4 coats and let it dry for 24 hours. loosk great and so far it stands up to car washes, pressure cleaners, and all the crap I throw at it...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #46
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice looking Rig! Tint looks great. You said 50% on full Windshield?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #47
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Tacoma View Post
Very nice looking Rig! Tint looks great. You said 50% on full Windshield?
Yes, and thank you...

Disclaimer: If you're going to do it, make sure it's legal where you are. Many states allow you to get a medical exemption which allows you to do it...I see you are LEO...you may be exempt if you drive your personal vehicle to and from the station as well...I don't know CO laws enough to tell you...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #48
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
I ustu work in a body shop. If you are willing to. I have just used whats called an eraser wheel on a drill to take that adhesive off after using a plastic putty blade wedged between the emblem and panel. do the truck in half the time. but of corse the eraiser wheel will burn threw the clear coat if your not careful...

I just added Flowmaster Cat-back to my 2011 and love the sound.

I wonder if the 2013 mirrors will bolt up to a 2011, I like the turn signals in the mirrors
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #49
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
I ustu work in a body shop. If you are willing to. I have just used whats called an eraser wheel on a drill to take that adhesive off after using a plastic putty blade wedged between the emblem and panel. do the truck in half the time. but of corse the eraiser wheel will burn threw the clear coat if your not careful...

I just added Flowmaster Cat-back to my 2011 and love the sound.

I wonder if the 2013 mirrors will bolt up to a 2011, I like the turn signals in the mirrors
You are referring to the debadging correct? If so, it comes off with GooGone and a rag...no damage possible.

The mirrors will in fact bolt right up, but you have to wire the turn signals to the mirror.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #50
Member Caught Off Road

Pics from today....

Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #51
Member Caught Off Road

Installed all the LED's I got today.

Map Lights
Dome Lights
Tag Lights
Reverse Lights

Anyone looking to get LEDs, defiantly check out TW user csjumper. Awesome product....
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #52
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit should be your next mod...

It's by far my most favorite mod, I did it myself and although it took about a week, i am very impressed with my new light output. Blows stock and halogen/PNP HID's out the freaking water.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #54
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Retrofit should be your next mod...

It's by far my most favorite mod, I did it myself and although it took about a week, i am very impressed with my new light output. Blows stock and halogen/PNP HID's out the freaking water.
Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna be saving up for...this is my DD, so I can't have down time. Think I'm gonna pay one of the guys on here to do it for me. Their prices seem reasonable to me.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #55
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
I really like your truck! Awesome look. +rep for you.
Why thank you sir...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #56
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Checking out your truck again. Looks really, really, really good man - great job so far. . .

Thinking about future upgrade to DC LB. Riding in a 2011 2.7L MGM AC now.

I've had to have my clutch & flywheel replaced under warrenty TSB in my 2011 2.7L. As well as the heater / AC fan motor [ticking] - Also, rear leaf spring TSB.

What kind of problems were you having with your 2011 and have you experienced any of those in your 2013?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #57
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
Checking out your truck again. Looks really, really, really good man - great job so far. . .

Thinking about future upgrade to DC LB. Riding in a 2011 2.7L MGM AC now.

I've had to have my clutch & flywheel replaced under warrenty TSB in my 2011 2.7L. As well as the heater / AC fan motor [ticking] - Also, rear leaf spring TSB.

What kind of problems were you having with your 2011 and have you experienced any of those in your 2013?
Thank you for the compliments...I had started this thread shortly after getting my 2011 and eventually added some things to the list...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...appointed.html

I can say that I have only had one of the same problems with this truck, and that's the squeaky rear brakes. Fortunately, the day I took the truck in for the problem, toyota released a TSB addressing the issue and fixed it without problem. I had some problems with the techs screwing up the work, but they fixed the next day after an ass chewing (had truck flatbed dead because the rear brakes were installed wrong and locked up)

All in all, my 2013 I FEEL is better quality than my 2011. Much better ride, and everything feels tighter. Less squeaks and rattles on dirt roads, stuff like that....

Can't speak for the V6 vs 4cyl, either. Only thing that's noteworthy, this one was made in Texas, in the good ol' USA (VIN begins with a 5 I think)...2011 was Mexican, made in Baja (VIN began with the number 3 I believe)...that may play a role aswell...
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
jpop8807 is on a distinguished road
Army: Bradley Crew, 1st Cav
Name: Josh
jpop8807's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck dude. Looks really aggressive. I might have to google a trd exhaust, the stock is not cutting it for me. If I wanted quiet I'd drive my audi.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #59
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Thank you for the compliments...I had started this thread shortly after getting my 2011 and eventually added some things to the list...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...appointed.html

I can say that I have only had one of the same problems with this truck, and that's the squeaky rear brakes. Fortunately, the day I took the truck in for the problem, toyota released a TSB addressing the issue and fixed it without problem. I had some problems with the techs screwing up the work, but they fixed the next day after an ass chewing (had truck flatbed dead because the rear brakes were installed wrong and locked up)

All in all, my 2013 I FEEL is better quality than my 2011. Much better ride, and everything feels tighter. Less squeaks and rattles on dirt roads, stuff like that....

Can't speak for the V6 vs 4cyl, either. Only thing that's noteworthy, this one was made in Texas, in the good ol' USA (VIN begins with a 5 I think)...2011 was Mexican, made in Baja (VIN began with the number 3 I believe)...that may play a role aswell...
Yeah I can totally agree with your thread there. I was LIVID when my clutch started slipping at 20K miles and I found out about the AC motor ticking problems that have been as issue since 2005. Unacceptable. But yes Toyota's are still better built than American trucks and I know that from experience.

Interesting to note your opinion on the build quality. Good to know. My 2011 was made in Texas, but it does have some crappy Mexican parts -DID, ie old LUK clutch.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out if I like the OFF Road or the Sport better and have been reading through your thoughts on that and I'm still trying to figure it out. I know the Off Roads come with a 3 leaf rear spring and the Sport comes with a 4 leaf rear spring. Still not sure about about what you were saying on a completely different thread about the OFF Road rear locker being a weaker Diff?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #60
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop8807 View Post
Nice truck dude. Looks really aggressive. I might have to google a trd exhaust, the stock is not cutting it for me. If I wanted quiet I'd drive my audi.
Thanks man. The TRD exhaust isn't LOUD, but it is definitely loud enough. Its deeper than others ive heard in person and after about 5k miles it seems to settle into more of a sweet spot as far as the note goes, with less drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
Yeah I can totally agree with your thread there. I was LIVID when my clutch started slipping at 20K miles and I found out about the AC motor ticking problems that have been as issue since 2005. Unacceptable. But yes Toyota's are still better built than American trucks and I know that from experience.

Interesting to note your opinion on the build quality. Good to know. My 2011 was made in Texas, but it does have some crappy Mexican parts -DID, ie old LUK clutch.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out if I like the OFF Road or the Sport better and have been reading through your thoughts on that and I'm still trying to figure it out. I know the Off Roads come with a 3 leaf rear spring and the Sport comes with a 4 leaf rear spring. Still not sure about about what you were saying on a completely different thread about the OFF Road rear locker being a weaker Diff?
I've read that there is a slightly larger diff on the non locker models vs the Off Roads with the locker. For 99% of people, I'm sure it wouldn't make a difference between the two. By no means would I let that play ANY role in your decision.

As for the leaf's, I think that the Sport Long Bed is the only one that 99% comes with the 4 leaf.Other than that from what I've noticed, there is really no rhyme or reason as to which models get the 3 and which ones get the 4. I had a 3 leaf on my Off Road, and it handled weight just fine. Again, not something I would let affect my decision...If the 3 leaf is not enough for you, the TSB covers it and you're not out any money...or its a good excuse to get a lift or better leaf pack.

I went with the Sport this time around because I really didn't NEED the additional traction features. ATRAC is okay, better than not having it, but I didn't ever use it. The locker was nice, especially in thick mud, but I never really NEEDED it. Clearly there are others that disagree, and use it all the time. You just have to really decide what you will use more. The sport will look cooler, and the off road will perform slightly better allowing unskilled drivers to get more places.

Products Discussed in this Thread