1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ta-Co-Ma - AWorthyOpponent's Build and Photo Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Aug 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Ohh...there's soo much...I've bought 6 new cars in the last 2 years between me and my fiancé...

You gotta know what you want to get before you go in. Down here in south Florida, the larger dealerships usually give a better deal to the Internet sales team because they deal more in volume than anything else. Know what you want before you go in and have a price point set. Financing rates are always negotiable...as are the prices for the extended warranties if you want to put that in the mix. Cover all angles before going in because they may offer you a great deal on cost and trade, but give you a high interest rate, or good interest rate but not work out a deal on the price. Most wont give you a lot of wiggle room on the price. Try your best to make all the deals separately. Take the truck to carmax and get a no haggle buy price, so you know what you can get. Try to get the trade in to match that because you don't have to pay tax on the trade in amount if you trade it for another vehicle.

Work out what you are willing to pay for x number of months. Don't let them talk you past that. Use an online tool to figure out what payments should be before you go in.

Are you financing the new one? What kind of payments for how many months are you looking at max? Do you owe anything currently on your truck, or own outright? How much do you owe? What do you want to put down?

2. Aug 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Nicko

Nicko beach bum

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicolas
    South Florida
    I havent had my truck appraised yet but was told I would be around 23k to 24k for it.
    I am financing it , only owe 18k on the truck . My lean holder contracts with a company
    That finds the new car you want and haggles the dealer gets a good price and I only deal
    With my lean holder, if I dont agree on the pricing im not obligated to anything.

I have 2010 trd sport DC/LB with 48, 000 miles 2wd

I know I want 2013 trd sport DC/LB 4wd
    Im looking to only make payments around what im already paying no more since its
    Already pricey thats 430 a month. I have 4 years left on my current truck. My rep stated
    That if we do a six year my payments would stay about the same. This is where he really
    Got me he stated that my current interest rate would drop from 6.7 to 3.3 with the trade in.
    Dont have anything for a down payment just trying to trade in.

3. Aug 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Nicko

Nicko beach bum

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicolas
    South Florida
    Also no dealer fees

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I would try to go to a dealership and see what you can get. Theoretically, you have a dealer thats gonna make money and then this leinholder that wants to as well. You might be able to get 0% from Toyota depending on your credit and promotions...South East Toyota Finance gave me a decent rate even before haggling.

With like 6k equity traded, on a (theoretically) $34,000 truck, your payments would be about $447 for 72 months. I bet you could talk down more than that...get the truck for $32,000 and youre looking at $414 for 72...30k is like $380...

If you can do it, and you can aford the payment, id say do it...On the other hand, you could keep your current Tacoma another year or two Miles and another year or two wont make a difference in price you will get for trad. By then, hopefully the new model will be out, or you will have enough saved up that you can put more down or even eliminate the truck payment all together...

5. Aug 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Nicko

Nicko beach bum

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicolas
    South Florida
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind, I mean im not obligated to anything.
    so if I'm not liking the numbers, im walking away from it.

6. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    Very nice!!!!

7. Sep 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Thank you sir!

8. Oct 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    monstajp

monstajp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd sport debadged
    Debadged, Blacked Out Taillights and 3rd Brakelight , Blacked Out Grille, Blacked Out Lower Valence, Hot Wheels Badges, Yellow Fog Lights, Rims and Tires. Undercover Swing Case, Pop-A-Lock on my Tailgate, N-FAB Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Bed cover, Aero Cat- Back Exhaust, PIAA Extreme white 4000k Bulbs, Readylift 2.25 Leveling Kit.
    NICE TRUCK HOMIE!!!!

9. Oct 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Thanks man.

10. Nov 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    shawn

shawn Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 Prerunner TRD
    Borla Cat Back, BedRug, Bakflip F1, BFG KO's, hardwire Radar
    Howdy neighbor!.. I have pretty much the same rig as you..
    I went with the Borla Cat Back, and 265 70 17 BFG KO's,
    I have had trucks in Florida for many years, I have never found the opportunity
    to get into or need 4wd so I went prerunner.

11. Nov 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    shawn

shawn Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 Prerunner TRD
    Borla Cat Back, BedRug, Bakflip F1, BFG KO's, hardwire Radar
    It pops right out from the back..it can't get easier..:)

12. Nov 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    What part of Florida are you in? we try to have small meets around here when possible...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269475&page=39

13. Dec 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I don't know why it took me soo long to do the rear diff breather mod, but it's finally done. This could have seriously been done by a monkey. The parts total up to about $20 and it took me about 10 minutes after I figured out the basic concept of what was going on.

I put the breather behind the taillight for two reasons...

1) No drilling required. You can route the tubing right up in there and zip tie it to the body, completely hidden. No worries about spraying water in the gas fill cap area when washing.
    2) If I have standing water at the top of my bed, I probably have more to worry about than the rear diff getting a little water in it.

[​IMG]

14. Jun 8, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Couple things done to my truck...

Re-Painted the front emblem with Satin Black...

[​IMG]

Tinted the side mirror turn signals. Left a little bit at the end to make sure the signals are still fully visible. In retrospect, I didn't need to, but I cant even notice it unless you purposely look at it and know its there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figured while I was already at it, I would tint my fogs (a little darker) and new headlights (clear) to make sure they don't oxidize on me. All three are done with Lamin-X. definitely a relatively cheap way to protect your lenses for years to come if you intend on keeping the truck...

Before tint:
    [​IMG]

After Tint:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Headlights and Foglights on:
    [​IMG]

15. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    TRDh4vok

TRDh4vok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gil
    Palm Beach County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD PreRunner Sport
    -4" MaxTrac Spindle lift -5100 RCD Bilstein's -1/2" Strut Spacer driver's side (Taco Lean fix) -1/4" Strut Spacer passenger side (Taco Lean fix) -4" Tapered Blocks -Extended length U bolts -Front Skid Plate -Exhaust Tip -Tube Steps - Silver -Bed Extender -LEER Tonneau Cover -Rampage Roof Cab Lights -Rampage Tailgate Light Bar Six Function SUPERBRITE with Reverse Lights, Running Lights, Brake lights, Emergency Hazard and L & R turn signals -exLED Toyota Tacoma Custom interior LED Light Kit -PIAA Xtreme White Plus head lights and fog lights -NITTO Terra Grapplers 285-70-17 -30" Avec CR-Series Led Light Bar in bumper grill -Two 6.5" Led light bar's attached to the A pillars -Hood hinge bracket mounts from Famous Fabrications -Exhaust muffler Aero Turbine AT2525XL -OEM Roof Racks -OTTRAW Rocker switch -Stant locking gas cap -Large T emblem and mid mount bracket from Diaz Fabrications
    Hey I'm in PBC too. Where was this car wash that they got on your roof? Just so I steer clear. Love that color...

16. Jun 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    It was Top Hat on Okeechobee Blvd. near I-95, next to the McDonalds. Since then, they also messed up my grandmothers car (machine dented it and took off paint) and they refused to fix it. Will NEVER go back there.

Also, make sure to check out the South Florida BS thread...we do meets and stuff with local guys relatively regularly. Decent people...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/florida/269475-south-florida-b-s-thread-99.html

17. Jul 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    Meicko

Meicko New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    South Florida- Lox life
    Vehicle:
    2014 double 4X4 shorty
    Hey Dan. This is actually my first post here. I've seen your truck around town. I just bought a 2014 dbl cab SB in black this past week. I've already debadged it. Next week DV8 customs will be installing a 3" Rough Country lift on 265/70R17 mounted on Rock star II wheels. A cold air intake and flowmeter exhaust. I also found a bull bar out of a place in Cali for $130 including shipping. I will be blacking out my grill emblem soon. I like how your headlights look tinted. What and how did you do it?

18. Jul 4, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Awesome, welcome to the site!

If you want to do it on the cheap, you can search around here for the BHLM (Black Headlight Mod). Essentially it just involves you removing the lights, baking them in the oven to soften the glue and opening them up. Then you can take the chrome pieces and paint them whatever you want with some kind of high heat paint. Here's a instruction guide that someone made.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/2327-blacking-out-headlights-how.html

If you want to look like mine with the projectors and all, you'd have to get alot more involved. There are a few guys that do the "retrofit" and BHLM service, but it can get expensive...Way better investment than HID's tho. The output is remarkably better. Here's the guy that did mine...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...fs-fx-r-mini-retrofits-bhlm-no-down-time.html

If you want to just black it out, you could always just get the lights tinted. It would reduce the light output a little, but if you don't go too dark, its not that bad. That's what I did with my Fogs. Might get stopped by PBSO though if they're looking for a reason to stop you. Tinted heads and tails aren't legal, so I wouldn't recommend it. Fogs and side markers aren't required lighting tho, so you can tint those as you see fit.

Make sure you check out the South Florida section. We meet up occasionally and there's a guy there (Ryan) that did a retrofit on his for relatively cheap.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/florida/269475-south-florida-b-s-thread-99.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  19. Jul 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    And stay away form Royal Palm Beach Toyota Service. They completely messed up my rear brakes 3 times...actually taking it in for a 4th brake service (will be the third time they have been "replaced", and I have 20,000 on the truck. If you're looking for a good service writer, talk to Mike Mazzone at Palm Beach Toyota on Military and Summit. Hes a friend and hes honest. Tell him I sent you...He'll take care of your truck...

20. Jul 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    From the other day on my way to work...poured like no other for like about 20 min...Puddle is really apparent in the video, but wasn't soo much in person...

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top