Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

azchris's 2013 TRD Off Road Build

Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
azchris's 2013 TRD Off Road Build

Some of you might've seen my 2011 TRD Off Road thread. Unfortunately, the truck was recently stolen from my apartment with only 21k miles on it, and later recovered. Everything inside was missing and there was some cosmetic damage to the interior and exterior. Since it hadn't even had its last free oil change yet and was now becoming a Recovered Theft (and who knows what they did to it...) I opted to trade it for a 2013 4x4. I'll start updating this thread as I make the inevitable changes to it.

THE TRUCK
  • 2013 Double Cab Short Bed
  • Magnetic Grey Metallic
  • V6 4x4 TRD OffRoad

CURRENT MODS

Security:
  • Viper 5704 SmartStart with GPS tracking, battery backup, interior siren, tilt sensor, and dual shock sensors
  • Tailgate anti-theft mod
Audio:
  • Kenwood Excelon ddx491hd
  • JL C5-650 components in the front
  • JL C2-600x coaxials in the rear
  • JL XD700/5 amp pushing about 300W to the sub
  • JL 10tw3 in a Stealthbox
  • Dynamat Xtreme on the doors and rear wall
Electrical:
  • Fog lights anytime
  • Seatbelt chime disable
Misc:
  • 5% tint rear, 20% front
  • Black WeatherTech Floor Liners (front & rear)
  • CREE reverse lights (currently removed while I look for a better fitting pair)
  • Black Wet Okole seat covers
  • Debadged doors
  • Mud Flap Delete

FUTURE MODS
  • Upgrade muffler & relocate exhaust crossover above frame
  • Convert all bulbs to LED
  • A steel IFS skid and sliders
  • 3" FX-R retrofit & TRS LED fogs
  • Aux fusebox
  • Front & rear Rigids
  • Bed bar
  • CB radio
  • Wheels and BFG ATs
  • Front & rear armor and winch
  • Long travel

UPDATES

27 October 2012
It went straight from the dealer to the alarm shop when it came in Tuesday. Got the tricked out Viper system listed above. You can't blame me for being paranoid, right? I got it back today, I am really happy with it. Soundwerks in Scottsdale did a great, clean job wiring and took their time to do it right.

The first things I did were mud flap delete (maybe it's just me, but the damn things seem to have become even larger since the 2011s) and the tailgate protection mod. Scheduled it for tint this Friday. I'll get around to doing anytime fog lights in the next few days as well. Here's a crappy cell phone pic till I can get my real camera out...

By the way, where are you TRD OR guys putting your aux switches? There's no blanks left like there were in my Prerunner...

6 November 2012
I picked up the Weathertechs from 4WheelParts last week - they have the screw-down ports that match the stock ones for a perfect fit, and no possibility of leakage through the hooks like on previous models. Also, got my CREE reverse lights in today and installed them... Damn these things are bright!

19 February 2014
Been awhile since I updated, although I haven't done much to the truck in the meantime except debadge the doors and put some scratches in the skid plates. However, I had a really annoying squeak that I couldn't track down until I read this, so I wanted to note it here in case anyone has a mystery squeak in the front end of their Tacoma: open the hood and see if it goes away!

10 July 2014
I'm in the process of writing up the latest update with some new pictures after having Soundwerks do the audio installation. If anyone is trying to track down a middle switch blank for the aux port or other switches under the radio, for a 2012+, the part number is 55539-52060-C0.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
azchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shedazchris is one of the sharper tools in the shed
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
6 November 2012
I picked up the Weathertechs from 4WheelParts last week - they have the screw-down ports that match the stock ones for a perfect fit, and no possibility of leakage through the hooks like on previous models. Also, got my CREE reverse lights in today and installed them... Damn these things are bright!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
gthupman is on a distinguished road
Name: Tripp
gthupman's Tacoma Gallery
where did you get the reverse lights from?
do you have a link to the website?
thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthupman View Post
where did you get the reverse lights from?
do you have a link to the website?
thanks
There is a vendor here that carries them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ed-lights.html

I went the sketchier route and chose eBay to save some money, I'm hoping they'll hold up! The quality seems pretty decent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pair-T15-9...-/280680234431
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
BBell is on a distinguished road

Name: B
BBell's Tacoma Gallery
I've got three light projects up and coming and also very very curious and entertained on how and where to mount new switches and getting into more about the AUX fuse box. The toys are here, now time to do the research.... grrr homework
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBell View Post
I've got three light projects up and coming and also very very curious and entertained on how and where to mount new switches and getting into more about the AUX fuse box. The toys are here, now time to do the research.... grrr homework
Must've missed your reply awhile back! Let me know if you find a good spot for switches, I've got a few ideas but I'm not too sure how to make it look clean.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't able to find too many threads with people running JL stuff. After missing the JBL system on my 2011 for a year now I got a quote to swap it with the following system:
  • Kenwood DDX-491HD headunit
  • JL C5-650 components for the front
  • JL C2-600cx two ways for the rear
  • 2x JL 10w1v3 subs in a custom box
  • JL XD700/5 amp with 300W to the subs + remote bass knob
  • Dynamat Xtreme on the doors
  • Misc interfaces to keep stock steering wheel controls and aux port

It's going in to the same shop that did my alarm this week. Is there anything I'm going to wish I upgraded in a year or two? It's not a nav headunit, but I really don't need that functionality anyway.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Aztacoma View Post
Any updates?
Been busy with a bit of traveling and a new job lately, I edited the OP but didn't bump the thread. Turns out JL came out with a new stealthbox that is 1 10tw3, so I went with that instead. I also had the doors and back wall Dynamatted. The specs:
  • Kenwood Excelon ddx491hd
  • JL C5-650 components in the front
  • JL C2-600x coaxials in the rear
  • JL XD700/5 amp pushing about 300W to the sub
  • JL 10tw3 in a Stealthbox
  • Dynamat Xtreme on the doors and rear wall

My camera battery is dead, but here's some crappy cell phone pics for now:

New head unit, dash kit matches the factory stereo very well.

Blends in nicely.

Ran a female USB plug to the glovebox instead so I can stash an iPod Classic in there, and replaced the existing one with a switch blank. Also added bass level knob for the amp.

Amp hides under the passenger side seat.

More amp

More amp

Back seat

Folding down...

A little 10tw3 hiding in the back

Very happy with the overall SQ, I'm not going to be shaking the other cars around me at a stoplight but it's very tight and accurate. Even keeps up with drum & bass pretty decently.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
azchris's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of which, if anyone needs low-mileage factory stereo equipment for some odd reason, I might know someone...