1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yak Runner - the 'ehnacement'

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Tioloco, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Tioloco

Tioloco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    TracRac G2, Xtrang Trifecta, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Konig Countersteer X Bronze, debadged, Custom grill/tailgate badges, Bilstein 5100's front, BAMF light bar, KC Slimlites, Redline hood struts, Smittybilt XRC8, UWMS, in-cab winch controls, Grillcraft MX, Brite Box
    IMHO my truck does not qualify as a 'build', particularly when compared to so many on this site, so let's call it an enhancement. There are scores of people on this forum that deserve a big thanks for inspiration, ideas and how-to's, you all rock!

[​IMG]

Yak Runner is a 2012 PreRunner Sport, with Bilstein 5100's in the front set to .85", Konig Countersteer X Bronze wheels sporting 265-65-17 Nitto Terra Graplers.

[​IMG]

She has a split personality, sometimes sporting an Extang Trifecta tonneau for her role as a DD, and sometimes wears TracRac G2 bed racks with custom canvas pads for hauling the yaks. Both are super easy to install/remove, so she can change personalities in about 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

She's debadged except for the hydro dipped grill emblem on a Grillcraft MX grill and custom tailgate emblems both done by Liquid Innovations (www.Liquid-Innovations.net)... these guys are great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A pair of KC Slimlite driving lights are wired to an FJ offroad light switch (thanks Johnh7 for that tip) mounted behind the grill on a BAMF light bar.

[​IMG]

I built a shelf for a Blue Sea circuit breaker and aux. fuse panel from Home Depot angle bar and scrap plexiglass that I had laying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Smittybilt XCR8 winch is mounted on an UWMS hidden mount. I read several threads where members asked about mounting a winch on a PreRunner, but did not see any who followed thru with it. I often camp solo, so I wanted the capability to self recover if needed.

I really liked MadToy's 'twist' of adding shackle mounts to the UWMS mount, but then saw Trailotter's idea of having the shackle mounts welded to the winch mount. I believe UWMS is now offering this as an option.

[​IMG]

I don't really recommend doing this install by yourself, not a one man job if you can avoid it. Once it is bolted in place, then it's just time consuming trimming the lower grill and valance for the mount and fairlead. I was probably overly cautious but didn't want to cut too much, so there were a lot of test fittings involved and the shackle mounts compounded that as they add two new openings in the valance. I definitely know how the bumper cover goes on and off now!

[​IMG]

I snagged Barlowrs idea of mounting the solenoid in a Home Depot 4"x4"x4" plastic junction box, but I mounted mine passenger side of the engine compartment.

The stock winch wires did not reach to the new solenoid location so I picked up some Stinger 0 gauge wires from a local auto sound shop. Bigger than I wanted, but they did not have 2 or 4 gauge in stock. Better too big than too small I figure.

[​IMG]

With the larger cables, the Homer box was really stuffed.
    [​IMG]

Toyota conveniently provided a hole in the sheet metal that was just perfect. I slit some vinyl tubing and sealed it in place with silicon to insure that the metal did not abrade the winch cables.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also Barlowrs idea for mounting the winch remote socket under the dash.

[​IMG]

Switches for the winch from OTRATTW went into the dash as well... I could not resist a bit of whimsy for the winch power switch.
    [​IMG]

A few enhancements not pictured include the ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Redline hood struts (way cool) and a Brite Box headlight controller.

[​IMG]

Bed lighting is coming soon, and additional power outlets in the cab as well.

Again, thanks to all of the innovative folks on this forum for your ideas and expertise!

2. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
  3. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Very very clean!

4. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    The truck looks outstanding! +1 for liquid innovations!

Well thought out and executed ! I say sweet "build" for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Az

5. Oct 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Adam93921

Adam93921 New Member

Member:
    California Coast
    Vehicle:
    Puke Pyrite TRD 4WD Manual
    Nothing yet but just getting started
    One of the best looking....ahem....enhancements I have ever seen- great job!

6. Oct 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    BakerTaco

BakerTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Lower Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 SR5
    Black UWS Toolbox, Window Tint, Weathertech mats, OME lift: 885x coils, top plate spacer, OME shocks all around, 2 inch AAL driver side trim packer, Toytec diff drop, Grillcraft, Colormatched grille, CHLM, 6000k HIDs - headlights and fogs, Smittybilt shackle hitch, ARB snatch strap, Pioneer avic x940bt headunit,
    Great looking truck! A bunch of innovative and clean mods! :thumbsup:

7. Oct 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    2nd pic in the OP is really nice!

8. Oct 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Nice truck. I have the same wheels.

9. Oct 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    great looking truck dude it was great meeting you and seeing the rig in person.

10. Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 AM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Nice truck man! I love the winch mount tucked behind the front bumper like that.... kinda stealthy!

That grill emblem intrigues me..... is that actual wood? OR a Vinyl overlay??? EIther way.... looks awesome man!

11. Oct 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Tioloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    TracRac G2, Xtrang Trifecta, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Konig Countersteer X Bronze, debadged, Custom grill/tailgate badges, Bilstein 5100's front, BAMF light bar, KC Slimlites, Redline hood struts, Smittybilt XRC8, UWMS, in-cab winch controls, Grillcraft MX, Brite Box
    Thanks guys!

Greg, great meeting you as well. I was totally impressed that you conquered that mud pit... twice. Btw, the forest ranger called today, your campfire finally went out.

Fightman80, it's the stock chrome emblem from the original grille, hydro dipped by Liquid Innovations.

12. Oct 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    I see... what is Hydro dipped??

13. Oct 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Tioloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
  14. Oct 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Your truck looks familiar :spy:

15. Oct 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Tioloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    Yeah, it's just missing about a quarter inch of dust all over. That trip definitely remedied that 'new car smell'.

16. Nov 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    jjhitchen

jjhitchen Relentless

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 V6
    100% stock Tacoma
    looks well done, cheers.

17. Nov 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    Project510

Project510 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Fremont, Ca
    truck looks great, and those emblems are amazing.

18. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    FarmBoyTaco

FarmBoyTaco Work Hard, Stay Humble

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road DCSB MGM
    I think I might want to recreate this "enhancement" with my truck.

19. Nov 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    Tioloco

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oakland Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    Thanks guys!

20. Nov 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    TechJunky

TechJunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Atlanta Ga
    Vehicle:
    Taco 4X4 6spd
    Ironman 4x4
    Sharp looking '12!!!!