Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Yak Runner - the 'ehnacement'

Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Tioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Richard
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
Yak Runner - the 'enhancement'

IMHO my truck does not qualify as a 'build', particularly when compared to so many on this site, so let's call it an enhancement. There are scores of people on this forum that deserve a big thanks for inspiration, ideas and how-to's, you all rock!

Yak Runner is a 2012 PreRunner Sport, with Bilstein 5100's in the front set to .85", Konig Countersteer X Bronze wheels sporting 265-65-17 Nitto Terra Graplers.

She has a split personality, sometimes sporting an Extang Trifecta tonneau for her role as a DD, and sometimes wears TracRac G2 bed racks with custom canvas pads for hauling the yaks. Both are super easy to install/remove, so she can change personalities in about 15 minutes.

She's debadged except for the hydro dipped grill emblem on a Grillcraft MX grill and custom tailgate emblems both done by Liquid Innovations (www.Liquid-Innovations.net)... these guys are great!

A pair of KC Slimlite driving lights are wired to an FJ offroad light switch (thanks Johnh7 for that tip) mounted behind the grill on a BAMF light bar.

I built a shelf for a Blue Sea circuit breaker and aux. fuse panel from Home Depot angle bar and scrap plexiglass that I had laying around.

A Smittybilt XCR8 winch is mounted on an UWMS hidden mount. I read several threads where members asked about mounting a winch on a PreRunner, but did not see any who followed thru with it. I often camp solo, so I wanted the capability to self recover if needed.

I really liked MadToy's 'twist' of adding shackle mounts to the UWMS mount, but then saw Trailotter's idea of having the shackle mounts welded to the winch mount. I believe UWMS is now offering this as an option.

I don't really recommend doing this install by yourself, not a one man job if you can avoid it. Once it is bolted in place, then it's just time consuming trimming the lower grill and valance for the mount and fairlead. I was probably overly cautious but didn't want to cut too much, so there were a lot of test fittings involved and the shackle mounts compounded that as they add two new openings in the valance. I definitely know how the bumper cover goes on and off now!

I snagged Barlowrs idea of mounting the solenoid in a Home Depot 4"x4"x4" plastic junction box, but I mounted mine passenger side of the engine compartment.

The stock winch wires did not reach to the new solenoid location so I picked up some Stinger 0 gauge wires from a local auto sound shop. Bigger than I wanted, but they did not have 2 or 4 gauge in stock. Better too big than too small I figure.

With the larger cables, the Homer box was really stuffed.

Toyota conveniently provided a hole in the sheet metal that was just perfect. I slit some vinyl tubing and sealed it in place with silicon to insure that the metal did not abrade the winch cables.

Also Barlowrs idea for mounting the winch remote socket under the dash.

Switches for the winch from OTRATTW went into the dash as well... I could not resist a bit of whimsy for the winch power switch.

A few enhancements not pictured include the ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Redline hood struts (way cool) and a Brite Box headlight controller.

Bed lighting is coming soon, and additional power outlets in the cab as well.

Again, thanks to all of the innovative folks on this forum for your ideas and expertise!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
NICE!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
The truck looks outstanding! +1 for liquid innovations!

Well thought out and executed ! I say sweet "build" for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Az
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Adam93921 is on a distinguished road
Adam93921's Tacoma Gallery
One of the best looking....ahem....enhancements I have ever seen- great job!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
2nd pic in the OP is really nice!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck. I have the same wheels.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
great looking truck dude it was great meeting you and seeing the rig in person.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fightman80's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Nice truck man! I love the winch mount tucked behind the front bumper like that.... kinda stealthy!

That grill emblem intrigues me..... is that actual wood? OR a Vinyl overlay??? EIther way.... looks awesome man!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
Tioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys!

Greg, great meeting you as well. I was totally impressed that you conquered that mud pit... twice. Btw, the forest ranger called today, your campfire finally went out.

Fightman80, it's the stock chrome emblem from the original grille, hydro dipped by Liquid Innovations.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fightman80's Tacoma Gallery
I see... what is Hydro dipped??
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
Explained here...
http://www.liquid-innovations.net/hydrographics.html

There are kits available to do it yourself, but they are more expensive than what it cost me to have it done, and I know I would have messed it up a couple of times, so for me it was a no-brainer to pay Liquid Innovations to do it right.

Here's a demo video:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wj6W7...%3Dwj6W7NQWPQo
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck looks familiar
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Your truck looks familiar
Yeah, it's just missing about a quarter inch of dust all over. That trip definitely remedied that 'new car smell'.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
looks well done, cheers.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #17
Project510 has a spectacular aura aboutProject510 has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
Project510's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks great, and those emblems are amazing.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
KCCO
FarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud ofFarmBoyTaco has much to be proud of
FarmBoyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think I might want to recreate this "enhancement" with my truck.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
TechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant futureTechJunky has a brilliant future

Name: Eric
TechJunky's Tacoma Gallery
Sharp looking '12!!!!