Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

nimrod712's '08 Build Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
nimrod712's '08 Build Thread

So I'm finally getting around to doing one of these. I recently lost most of my pictures, so I'm going to post what I've got and attempt to remember what I've done to it..

Here's pretty much how it sits now:

Truck
2008 Tacoma 4dr TRD Rugged Trail Package
4.0L v6- Auto trans

Armor
All Pro IFS skid
All Pro Trans skid
All Pro Transfer Case skid (with the pan for the exhaust cut out and welded flat)
Shrockworks Sliders
All Pro 4-piece Front bumper (fully welded and reinforced with angle, frame tie-ins, sprayed with Raptor)
CBI High clearance rear bumper
BAMF Rear diff skid
BAMF LCA Skids

Front Suspension/drivetrain
Icon Ext Travel C/Os custom valved w/ 700lb King Coils
Camburg 1.25" uniball UCAs
Cab mount chop
Wrapped LCA bushing mounts & Moog greasable ball joints
Total Chaos cam tab gussets- welded & installed

Wheelers super bumps
Total Chaos Spindle Gussets
Solo Motorsports UCA double shear gussets
Stainless brakelines
Brembo blanks
Hawk LTS pads
Extended studs
4.56 open diff (bought used) w/ ECGS bushing pressed in (tool)

Rear Suspension/drivetrain
All Pro 3" Lift springs
All Pro U-bolt flip
Timbren bumpstops
Bilstein 5100s
Stainless brakelines
AC Delco shoes
Extended studs
4.56 e-locker diff set up by ECGS

Wheels/Tires
SCS Stealth 6 17"x8.5" wheels w/ 305/70/17 MTR Kevlars(current)
stock Rugged Trail black wheels w/ 255/85/16 KM2s (old)

Recovery Gear
Smitty XRC8 w/ Viking Synthetic
Hi-Lift mounted in bed
ARB snatch block
Viking 50' line extension
Bulldog 10' tree strap & 30' extension strap
Several other cheap tow straps

Spares
CV shafts- OEM (3)
CV inner joints (2)
Tie Rods (2)
Outer tie rod ends (2)
U-joints (3)
Front hub with bearing pressed in ("tool" for pressing bearing off)
Front driveshaft
Rear driveshaft
Both rear axles
Both spindles
Both LCAs w/ full set of cams/bolts
Wheel studs/lug nuts
T-case Actuator
Steering Rack

Random Crap
Grillcraft grille (with surround color matched)
Diff Lock anytime mod
ABS off switch
Exhaust re-routed
Rubber bed mat
Midland 75-822 Handheld CB hooked up to 3' Firestik
Clearanced fenders/flares (2.5" cut out)
Salex glovebox & console organizers
Relentless tailgate reinforcement

Wish List for Later
Catskin Seat covers
BHLM
On board air
ARB front locker
BAMF light bar w/ long range lights (have these, just need to install)
SMS rear frame boxing plates (have these, just need to install)
Shock relocation
ATO shackle flip (have these, just need to install)
Add tubing to front bumper
Add kickouts to sliders
Add tube protection on rear bumper
Die Hard 31M
New, more versatile bed rack

A few more recent pics:

Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

So here's the story- I bought it brand new back in 2008 with a plan to add a Westin bull bar, a couple lights, and some 265/75 KOs. And then the first weekend I went and played at a gravel pit and got to thinking that I might want to do a little more than that.

Then the next weekend I decided to go exploring. This time I decided for sure that I needed some armor and a winch.

So I decided that I would pick up some All Pro skids first. I got the whole set and then decided I'd test them out.

Next on the list was the Shrockworks sliders. Right after I got those installed I went to the local offroad park with a friend and slid into a tree and crunched my front bumper.

So next up was the All Pro front bumper and XRC8 w/ synthetic. From that point, I kind of lost track lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Found some pics from TTORA Takeover '09.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man!! Looks like you are hung up bad in that last pic?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Some random wheeling/posing pics.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #6

From the base of Forked Mountain (one of my favorite places)

Just a man, his machine, and the woods

From a couple weekends ago.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

I ordered a set of 5 SCS wheels during the group buy.

I'm hoping that since the center design of the wheel is set back a little that I can keep from gouging them up as bad as my stock wheels.

So I got one of them wrapped in a 305/70/17 MTR (34.2 x 12.2) for fitment purposes. Plus, I can only afford to buy one at a time lol. Maybe within a couple years I'll have a full set.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

So the first thing to do to make the 305s fit is the cab chop. Don't be making fun of my booger welds lol. They'll ride..

And, testing to make sure the cab mounts clear after.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
Looking good man!! Looks like you are hung up bad in that last pic?
Actually the rear tire was up on the rock, so I drove right off it. You can see it a little better in the pic below. It really wasn't that bad, just made for a pretty cool wheel stand pic lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good so far man Are you going to have to cut some of the fender with the 305's? Looks like your gonna hit the fender when you flex
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

Yep, definitely gonna have to cut the fender. As a few others on here have done, I plan to cut 2" out of the fenders and flares, and put the flares back together. Right now I'm planning on using Max's method. Here is the glue and the gun.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, I can't wait to see all four mounted on there! Great job on providing info and pics needed to fit that tire size. I'm sure it will be useful for many other members.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #13

So I'm on vacation all week and decided I would do a little work on my All Pro front bumper. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I would like to get a more solid bumper, but I can't justify it. So, I decided I would *attempt to beef the AP up a little.

Up first, remove the lights and fill in the holes for a few reasons:
1. I never use the lights.
2. I can sell them and buy other parts.
3. The holes just make a place for mud, sticks, etc. to get.
4. They were in the way of adding some bracing to the bumper which should add some strength.

I also filled in the other holes on the bumper from the AP badge and winch plug. Anyway, on to the pics!

Then I decided that I needed some way to tie the bumper into the frame a little farther back to avoid the issue of the bumper pulling away while winching. I tried and tried to come up with a way to weld some brackets to the bumper, but I could not come up with a way to do it and still be able to install/remove the bumper. So, I added some 1/8" plate to the lower part of the bumper (see pic) for a solid mounting point. This should make it 1/4" in effect, which I think should be sufficient.

Then I came up with a bracket to do what I want it to. It ties into the bumper with 2-3/8" bolts and ties into the frame with 1-1/2" bolt.

I also decided that I needed to add some bracing to the wings. After consulting with a couple of friends, I decided to add some angle on the inside of the bumper. I'm still thinking this one through, but the pic below is where I'm at so far. I'm also thinking I may add some angle on the bottom and then put 2 or 3 braces between. Not sure yet..

Oh, and everything is just tacked in place right now. It will all get completely welded before I'm done. The bumper will also be completely welded together and sprayed with Raptor Liner.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

So this is kinda what I'm thinking as far as the additional bracing on the wings...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Awesome, I can't wait to see all four mounted on there! Great job on providing info and pics needed to fit that tire size. I'm sure it will be useful for many other members.
Thanks, Vin! I don't think I'll get everything done and the 305s installed until Feb or March next year, but you'll be one of the first to know when I do. Thanks for the killer wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTEA View Post
Great build! Your cab mount chop looks good.
Thanks, man! I cut the maximum that I could. I'm actually not even sure that I could change the body mount without cutting it out lol.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
did you try to flex with the 305s on to see how bad it hit?

& you take any pics of the clearance to the frame on full turn?

i have little more backspace than you and the frame rub is a concern of mine in addition to how much fender work i have to do...fender can be fixed, but frame rub can't without new wheels

they're going to be bad ass once you get them on tho!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
did you try to flex with the 305s on to see how bad it hit?

& you take any pics of the clearance to the frame on full turn?

i have little more backspace than you and the frame rub is a concern of mine in addition to how much fender work i have to do...fender can be fixed, but frame rub can't without new wheels

they're going to be bad ass once you get them on tho!
Nope, didn't try to flex yet, but just from looking at it, I think I'll be fine. I'll be putting the 305 back on here pretty soon for some more testing, and I'll try to stuff them and get a pic or two. I'll let ya know.

The only rub I think I will have is on the UCA. They were rubbing just a little at full lock on level ground. I currently have the DSM UCAs installed, but I have a set of Camburgs sitting in the garage. I think they may have a little more clearance because of the tubular vs. square design. Either way, I don't think that they will rub the UCA enough to cause any problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
cool, curious to see the full fitment on them. leaning towards the 305 mtr in the spring before Moab. hoping to get by without adding spacers. I have 4.5bs so I'm close to your wheel bs with those sds... which are sick BTW!