Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

aphex's functional build

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
aphex's functional build

OK, so right off the bat I admit that it's not 100% functional... there is definitely a little fun mixed in. But I've always thought of the Tacoma as kind of the swiss army knife of trucks, and I suppose I've tried to expound on that a bit. Also, beside the other beasts on this forum, this is a pretty tame "build", if you can even call it that. It's just nice having a little timeline of mods in a single place like this.

Current List of Mod's:

EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector
Undercover Classic Tonneau Cover
Console Vault Custom Safe
Britax Boulevard 70 Baby Seat (Mmmm Hmmmm!)
Retro TRD Shift Knob
Factory Bed Mat
Rear Leaf TSB
TRD Grille Emblem
265/75-16 Load Range E BFG All-Terrian KO's
Matte Black KMC Enduro Wheels
Front and Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks
Eibach Coils (w/ Front 5100's set @ 0")
OEM Roof Rack
Antennax 14" Billet Antenna

This is how she sits today:

The day I said goodbye to my beige baby. The photo below is the last time I saw her. It was sad, but necessary with a baby on the way. Jamming an infant in the tool box didn't seem quite... appropriate.

The good news is that I was able to compromise on a 2011 double cab, short bed TRD Offroad Tacoma as a good baby-friendly substitute (could not comprehend a mini-van purchase). Shortly after the tsunami/Fukushima event, however certain pigments of Toyota's paint (specifically black) were no longer being produced by the Japanese suppliers, so I couldn't find a black Tacoma with these options in Western PA believe it or not. I had to drive to a dealership in Maryland (Laurel Toyota), but it actually turned out to be a fun road trip with the wife. The day I bought her...

First addition was an EGR Aerowrap bug deflector...

Then came an Undercover Classic Tonneau cover...

Next up, maybe the most important mod in many ways... The Britax Boulevard 70 baby seat ...

I wanted to be able to have a way to securely keep "things" in my truck so I opted for the console vault. Love it!

Did not like the factory leather-wrapped shift knob. Especially the shape of it. Replaced it with this retro light grey TRD 6-speed knob, which is amazing IMO...

TSB leaf springs came next (replaced at a local dealer under warranty)...

Threw a TRD emblem on the grille to set it off a bit. Just a lil sumpin sumpin. Thanks to Benson_X for giving me the idea in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ort-grill.html ... Used his "plumber's tape" brackets" technique

And finally the good stuff. BFG All-Terrain's in 265/75-16 (white letters out baby!), matte black KMC enduros, 5100's x 4 with fronts set at 0" and Eibach springs. All put on at the same time. Can you imagine the anticipation when I had all this crap laying in my garage??

Leveled the truck out quite nicely. Last measurement showed about 0.5" higher in the rear max. Eibach's gave right around the 1.6" of advertised lift. Love the ride...

The wheels (steel) and tires (load range E) are a much heavier set-up than what was on there previously, and the offset pushed the tires out a bit as well. The handling difference is amazing.

Next the good 'ol factory Tacoma roof rack (an early Christmas present!!) ...

And that brings us up to date...

Stay tuned...
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
aphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shedaphex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Nice looking rig

Is your username inspired by Richard D. James per chance?
Thanks! I've actually used the name 'aphex' for a long time for internets/gaming. I suppose the idea probably originated with 'Aphex Twin' since that's the only other place I've heard it used. I used to listen to them a little bit.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet looking rig and I really like the look of those wheels with the BFGs. With the lift and all it's time that you hit the trails!

Oh and BFGs with "white letters out" ftw! Love it!!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Agree about the trails. Western PA doesn't seem to have a ton, but I'm starting to look around. Seems like all of the "off-road" people around here drive jeeps...
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Great buildup man Your thoughts on the suspension setup? rough, smooth, or firm? How does it feel offroad and on the street?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

aphex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
Great buildup man Your thoughts on the suspension setup? rough, smooth, or firm? How does it feel offroad and on the street?
Definitely firm. Love the ride. Handles much better on road. No heavy off-roading yet but it seems to eat up rough terrain.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Love it. Looks great.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice truck! Gotta throw some mods in for fun now and then, or it wouldn't be as fun!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
fourpointTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
fourpointTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
J4m3z420 is on a distinguished road
Name: James
J4m3z420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphex View Post
OK, so right off the bat I admit that it's not 100% functional... there is definitely a little fun mixed in. But I've always thought of the Tacoma as kind of the swiss army knife of trucks, and I suppose I've tried to expound on that a bit. Also, beside the other beasts on this forum, this is a pretty tame "build", if you can even call it that. It's just nice having a little timeline of mods in a single place like this.

Looks great! I am looking to do this same setup with the suspension. Bilstein 5100 and Eibach at "0". I have a 2009 DCSB off-road with 3-leaf in the rear. NO TSB. Which aftermarket leaf pack would you recommend to achieve the same lift on the rear you have? Assuming the Dakar leaf pack would make the rear too high?