1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

toyohtadude's build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by toyohtadude, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    After owning the truck for 5 years, it's time to start modding her. It is a 2007 and I just turned 34,000 miles on it today. Most of my miles are on my Yamaha FZ1. ;)

I'll try and keep my list growing below for what's coming vs. what's done.

[​IMG]

I also ordered a Black Friday deal from Autoplicity.com for the N-Fab (Smittybuilt) wheel to wheel Nerf Steps. $296.65 and only $16 freight to ship them... couldn't pass it up.
    [​IMG]

It does have some dings and needs cosmetic work. I was rear-ended twice in one week when the truck was just 2 months old. (Drivers NOT from New England trying to drive in snow.... jeeezzzz!)

This will be a slow build but I thought I'd carve out my spot here.

Truck pretty much in stock form:
    [​IMG]

As she sits today:
    truck 003.jpg

Plans for the future and not necessarily in this order:
    • larger tires when the Michelins are used up.
    • wheels
    • stereo with bluetooth and mp3 capabilities
    • aftermarket rear bumper
    • additional d-rings in the bed
    • hard tonneau cover
    • Eyelids pained to match
    • color-match the grill frame (hate the chrome look)
    • Westin Bull bar

DONE:
    • TSB Rear Leaf packs
    • Hell Bent Steel 2.5" leveling kit
    • Derpa-Lids (to see how it looks)
    • N-Fab Nerf Steps
    • BORA 1.25: wheel spacers
    • Satoshi Thin Lip using HomerTaco's custom cut mesh including triangles
    • Andres Devil Horns (Raw finish)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Nov 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Looking good Eric...still running the Hell Bent leveling kit for now. Want to do the OME 3" kit soon! Post up some pics as you progress! :thumbsup:

3. Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Thanks Greg. I think I'm about out of mods for the Yamaha so it's time to give the Taco some love.

I've been looking at some of the fixes people have done for common issues and working on getting materials to resolves a lot of those annoyances. The two that are driving me crazy are the vibration from the air intake at the inner fender and the crappy blower motor for the heater and the eff'n cricket sounds (only on low at this point).

With the TSB and the leveling spacers, my wife and daughter will need the Nerf steps... they almost need them now. :D

4. Dec 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Here's some cell shots.... it was foggy this morning and these were mounted last night. The truck needs a wash because it went through 10 miles of muddy dirt roads to get to the Xmas tree farm. :D I don't know if anyone else had an issue with these installing or not but.... the driver's side was perfect. The passenger side needed a pry bar wrapped with rubber hose to pull the bolt holes into alignment after loosely hanging it with one center bolt and the only front bolt. Then the center mounting bracket slots were too close and I had to file some metal away and shoot it to prevent rusting to get those two bolts to go in without cross-threading.

passenger.jpg
    drivers.jpg

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I have my next mod installed. Joe sold me his Andres Devil Horns and I installed it today. Quick and painless! And yes, the truck is filthy. We're deep in snow with salt, sand and melting run-off so keeping it clean is quite a battle!

On order is some mesh from HomerTaco so I can do a thin-lip satoshi with the triangles. Wish me luck! ;) Since I have the raw horns and the chrome grill, I'm going with no powder coating on the aluminum Mx mesh. I'll post up some photos of my first-ever satoshi experience using Craig's guidance. :D

devilhornssm.jpg

devilhornslg.jpg

6. Mar 17, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I finally got my Satoshi grill done today. Here's the during, after and installed pics. I bought from HomerTaco the Mx mesh for a thin-lip install. First thing is huge kudos for Craig as he had all the mesh cut to fit and I only had to make the most minor adjustments. I painted it with a high-temp semi-gloss BBQ black which is not durable at all, but I have been debating colors and this is easy enough to remove and then go get it powder coated how I want it later. The hard part is done so removal for PC and some new Zip ties and it's all back in place within an hour. Yes, she needs a bath.

It's not perfect, but this is the first time ever attempting this.... I did not separate the two parts. I did it all with the Dremel and used the black edge mated with the chrome edge as my guide. I set the depth on the Dremel and just went around the whole part like a router. Cut the support pieces inside and the center fell out. I then cut off the triangles... de-burred it all, drilled carefully through the inside layer all around and zip-tied. It took me about 2 hours minus painting (last night).

Satoshi-mid-1.jpg

Satoshi-mid-2.jpg

Satoshi-complete-out.jpg

Satoshi-installed-1.jpg

Satoshi-installed-2.jpg

7. Mar 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I installed these back in January I think? Smittybuilt but say N-Fab on them. Found out they are authorized by N-Fab to build 'em.

passenger.jpgdrivers.jpg

8. Jun 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Got the spacers installed today. Not easy being a one-man show and I should have called on a few of the locals to see if anyone was available.... but, 6 hours in the heat and it is done.

Before shots, then after shots...
    before-helbent2.jpgafter-helbent2.jpg

before-helbent.jpgafter-helbent.jpg

9. Jul 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    The BORA wheel spacer group buy will be shipping this coming week so I took some before shots of the wheels, tires and fenders... This is for reference after I've installed them. Also, derped on some eyelids to see if I like them or not... undecided if I'll get a set but if I do, I'm having the chrome grill painted to match the truck at the same time.

Before BORA 1.25" spacers:

b4spacers-fender-shots.jpg

Derp'a'Lids (Warning, I am not a professional derper... only try this at home.)
    b4spacers-lids.jpg

10. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    BORA spacers are in. Hope to start tonight. I am also replacing all four brakes while the wheels are off. I bought Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic pads for the front and Wagner ThermoQuiet shoes for the rear. If all goes well I might finish it tonight. w00t! Pics when it is done.

wheelspacers 005.jpg
    wheelspacers 008.jpg
    Tacoma_Brakes 004.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
  12. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    I worked on a co-worker's rig most of the day but managed to get the rear spacers on as it was getting dark out... will do the fronts tomorrow. I did 83 ft lbs on all lug nuts.

Found out the GDMF shop that my wife took the truck to for inspection LIED! They said the rear brakes needed to be replaced. The shoes are within 1/16th inch of the new ones! This is obviously one of those shops that tries to take advantage of women. I have pics of the new next to the old shoes. BASTARDS! Well, I have my next set of shoes and pads already bought and paid for.... Wagner PosiQuiet shoes and the same for the pads but in Ceramic.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I finish the front. The back looks GREAT! Hope my test ride doesn't yield the same results as a couple of you. I know I have the lugs all on correctly... dome toward the brakes.

***EDIT*** Added these pics tonight. First, shot of OEM shoe vs. new shoe.... next two are the rear spacers mounted. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Aug 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Love the new stance! Hard to see in pics so close... wished I'd taken them from further away.

Here's a side-by-side of before and after for the BORA 1.25" spacers.
    [​IMG]

Last two shots are before and after...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Nov 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Just getting time to get caught up on TW and see you made some changes. Looking good Eric!

15. Apr 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    After installing the AAL... We went up to Old Town Canoe's factory outlet sale and scored a Saranac 16' canoe for $279.00 (normally $699.00)!

newcanoe.jpg

Sort-Em-Out 519.jpg

16. Apr 21, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    Looks good sir! And congrads on the new canoe! :thumbsup:

17. Jun 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    All de-modded except the grill. She'll be up for sale either later this fall or in the spring. I decided I'm going to get the 2015 TRD Pro instead of putting my money into this one.

18. Dec 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    toyohtadude

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Bone stock
    Goodbye Tacoma, hello T4R Trail. I know I wanted the TRD Pro, but this really caught my attention. Headed over to T4R.ORG for a new beginning. Thanks all!

Black_Beauty.jpg

TacoTexas likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top