Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

2013 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD - Gitout Adventure Vehicle Build!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
montypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to all
Name: Peter
montypower's Tacoma Gallery
Smile 2013 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD - Gitout Adventure Vehicle Build!

This is the new project: 2013 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD, 4x4, Auto! I picked it up with only 7 miles on the odometer.

The goal is to have modifications completed and be on the trails by the end of January (about 45 days). The primary objective is: reliability, comfort and expedition capability. This isn't going to be an "extreme" truck... The 92 Isuzu proved that extreme suspension articulation isn't required for trail driving here in the Northwest (rock crawling is a different story). That being the case this truck will get the complete heavy duty OME Suspension. It provides solid on road handling, reasonable articulation and durability that's unmatched. The front will have a steel bumper with Warn Xeon winch and wireless controls. The underside will be armored with skid plates and the body panels protected with rock sliders. The rear is getting some custom tube work to protect the quarter panel and rear bumper; yep I'm keeping the factory bumper and tow hitch. The Thule hitch rack and will be used to carry my mountain bike.

There will be a bed rack that will sport a roof tent, high lift jack, shovel, table, gas, water... And... there will be a ARB fridge! That's what I'm most excited about. No more ice and water logged food. The remaining space in the bed will be for camping gear and travel supplies. My goal is to be able to take 1 week long trips to the outback with reasonable comfort.

The truck already has the tow package with 130 amp alternator and it will be storing the juice in two Odyssey batteries.

Originally, I wanted to keep the factory wheels but they won't clear after installing the spindle gussets. So I'm replacing them with some 16" TRD wheels which have slightly less backspacing. 32" mud tires will wrap the wheels and provide slightly more ground clearance and improved traction. Yes, I've debated 33s but decided against them as power, braking and gas mileage (ie travel range) are more important to me.

This is going to be a fun project. I'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely want to see this progress. Sounds like a solid plan. Good luck with the build, let me know of you need anything.

Shameless post, I know
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Pete! What happen to the 4Runner?

Looking forward to your build. As for the rear, isn't is better to have a custom bumper to accommodate the tow hitch as well?

For tires..what are you wrapping those TRD rims with? Fat or skinny?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
montypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to allmontypower is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Pete! What happen to the 4Runner?

Looking forward to your build. As for the rear, isn't is better to have a custom bumper to accommodate the tow hitch as well?

For tires..what are you wrapping those TRD rims with? Fat or skinny?
Sold the 4runner. It was having trouble and I didn't want to deal with it. Decided to go new w/ warranty.
I looked into rear bumpers... but couldn't find anything I liked. I'm not going to cut up the truck to fit the wrap around bumper. It needs side protection so just a rear bumper won't cut it.
Going 265/75. So not really wide or narrow. Sort of middle ground...

Hope to see you on the trails here in the next month or so!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to see future mods. Sounds like a great plan!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
First parts arrived today... Wet Okole Seat Covers & Weather Tech Floor Mats!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looking good!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
20RC13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Randall
20RC13's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Did you just order the 2012 weathertec mats? I looked up 2013 and the website says they dont have them made yet. It looks like they fit great but just wanna make sure before I buy some.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Floor mats are the same for 2012 & 2013.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Started "Project Plastic Wrap" last week. I'm wrapping the entire truck with 3m clear bra. Purchased a 50ft roll of 60" film. My brother is giving me a hand which has been awesome. This is my first time working with clear bra and there's a bit of a learning curve. I think it looks decent so far; half of it is completed! The concept is to protect the paint from tree pinstriping and keep the truck looking new longer. I don't want to be worried about driving the truck on densely forested trails.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
20RC13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Randall
20RC13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by montypower View Post
Floor mats are the same for 2012 & 2013.

Cool thank you!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Smile

First shipment has arrived! All Pro APEX bumper, bed rack, skid plates and other stuff in boxes (haven't looked yet)...

Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #16

Sweet! been waiting for this to be updated for a while!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
The White Knight
Eagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant future

Name: AJ
Eagledynasty's Tacoma Gallery
Subbbbbbbb all day. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
Picked up more parts today... Should have some stuff installed tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
The White Knight
Eagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant future

Name: AJ
Eagledynasty's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
Deathcure is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Deathcure's Tacoma Gallery