1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JNome's SR5 Tacoma “North Woods” Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by JNome, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Dec 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    JNome

JNome [OP] Made in Maine.... Yessah bub!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    WeatherTechs, TRD Skidplate, Hidden Hitch Reciever, Tractor Supply Toolbox, Bedmat, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Leer 100R cap, yakima roof rack, Bilstien 5100's all around, Eibach lift coils, Toytec AAL w/ TSB springs, All Pro Flip Kit w/ Timbrens, Line X'd Rocker Panels, Magnaflow 17115 Exhaust, Cobra CB w/ PA Horn, Hi-Lift Jack w/ custom mount, Relentless Fab Sliders, Satoshi Grille w/ Hella 700's HID mounted behind
    2010 Access Cab Tacoma – North Woods Build -“Made in Maine”

Figured I’d start a build thread to share some of my progress with others on here. What started off as a stock 2010 SR5 Tacoma Access Cab has become much more…. and is still growing. All work and installation on this truck has been done by me, with the exception of a few items like the Line X and Ziebart, after many hours of research and learning from all of you out here on TW. Gotta love the expression... built, not bought.

My ultimate goal is to build a capable expedition/overland rig for use on fishing, hunting, and camping trips. Born and raised in Maine so I have spent many hours in the north woods on fishing and hunting trips and have always wanted a capable trail rig for trip use.

The Parts List:

Suspension
    •Bilstien 5100’s all around set at 1.75
    •Toyota Leaf Spring TSB
    •Toytec TSB 1.5” Add A Leaf
    •All Pro U bolt Flip Kit and Timbren Bump Stops

Wheels and Tires
    • 265/75 R16 General Grabber AT2’s
    • TRD Aluminum Alloy Rims
    • Stock Steel wheels (for winter use)

Exterior
    • Leer 100 R Cap
    • Pop N Lock Tailgate Lock
    • Yakima Rack System
    • Tractor Supply Cargo Box (misc. tools, recovery gear, tie downs inside)
    • Hi Lift Farm Jack
    • Line X’d Rocker Panels
    Relentless Fabrication Sliders
    • Relentless CB Antenna Mount
    • TRD Skid Plate
    • Ziebart Rust Proofing and Undercoating
    • Hella 700 FF (HID Converted, mounted behind grille)
    • Anytime Fog Light Mod
    • Hidden Hitch Receiver
    • Partial Tailgate DeBadge
    • Misc Decals/Stickers, BHLM, Satoshi Grill

Interior
    • Weather Tech Floor Liners w/ Tacoma Mats
    • Cobra CB w/ PA Horn and firestik II antenna
    • Cabela’s Seat covers with rifle/shotgun slings

Engine/Transmission
    • Magnaflow Off Road Pro Series Exhaust 17115
    • Hayden Transmission Cooler
    • AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter

Here’s how my truck sits today….

[​IMG]

The day I brought it home…. Went right into installing skid, hitch, and weather techs that afternoon.

[​IMG]

After sitting in the garage for a few months… and researching Tacomaworld… decided I wanted to go with the Bilstien 5100 lift, new wheels, and tires

Before

[​IMG]

Installation

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Purchased a Leer 100 R Cap for the back…. Missed the bare pick up look but really liked the functionality of it. Added the yakima cross bar system to the cap and also installed the Pop N Lock for the tailgate .

Loaded for a fishing trip

[​IMG]

After pounding my Tacoma up and down woods roads over my summer leave, I noticed that the black rockers didn’t responded too well from being sandblasted my General Grabbers… only one solution… Line-X

[​IMG]

Thanks Line- X of Augusta for doing a great job!

Deer season was soon approaching…. So we needed lights… Hella 700 ff… later to be converted to HID

EDIT: Now converted to behind grille w/ satoshi

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of them fired up

[​IMG]

Cobra CB was also wired up coupled with a Relentless CB hood mount

[​IMG]

Changed out the stock Exhaust for the Magnaflow Off Road Pro Series…. Despite what people say, I found the exhaust to be loud at first, but after 300 miles or so, it really mellowed out and has since taken on a nice throaty rumble… great product IMO.

After a several month wait…. It was long but worth it…. I finally got my sliders in from Eric at Relentless Fab… Bolted them up and had the protection I wanted from logs, rocks, etc pounding woods roads for deer and ducks in the approaching season.

Relentless Fab Sliders

[​IMG]

With winter approaching…. And already seeing the beginning of the rusty frame syndrome beginning to take hold of my frame… called Ziebart of Shrewsbury, MA to set up an under coating.

Under coated frame

[​IMG]

Drilled rockers and door panels…. Ziebart was sprayed on so heavy it was leaking out…. Made a mess at first but no rust will penetrate it.

[​IMG]

Just this past week installed the Toytec TSB AAL and All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit with Timbrens… all set to tow now. Followed Chris 4x4’s write up… get thread man.

Installation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was surprised at the rake I gained from the AAL... bout 2.5" lift in the rear … I’m thinking it should settle out a bit though.

[​IMG]

Will update as more mods and pics are added.....:D

Future Mods:
    • 285/75 R16 Toyo MT’s
    • Steel Front and Rear Bumpers… any good recommendations?
    • Skids
    • Winch
    • ARB Roof top tent???

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Dec 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    Great looking truck, nice job!

3. Dec 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    WeatherTechs, TRD Skidplate, Hidden Hitch Reciever, Tractor Supply Toolbox, Bedmat, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Leer 100R cap, yakima roof rack, Bilstien 5100's all around, Eibach lift coils, Toytec AAL w/ TSB springs, All Pro Flip Kit w/ Timbrens, Line X'd Rocker Panels, Magnaflow 17115 Exhaust, Cobra CB w/ PA Horn, Hi-Lift Jack w/ custom mount, Relentless Fab Sliders, Satoshi Grille w/ Hella 700's HID mounted behind
    Thanks man

4. Dec 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    uscg2008

uscg2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    San Diego, CA originally from Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    That's a good start... How the u liking the generals in the snow?

5. Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    So far so good... went driving around in the storm yesterday and they didn't slip at all on the roads... easily took over a foot of snow in some fields by my house as well.

6. Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    Nice. I just wish I could find them in 285/70/17

7. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Yeah they are though to come by at times... the 17 in rim makes them even harder to find as well. Not interested in running something more aggressive?

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    uscg2008

Member:
    First Name:
    coby
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sr5 four door 4x4
    CLICK ON SIGNATURE>>>>
    Would have gotten them if they had that size so is had to go with dura tracks

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    I like the look of your truck, and that you've done pre-maintenance items like the Zeibart before spending cash on other things!

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    ^ Yup.... trying to do "functional" mods before I get carried away with other stuff.

11. Jan 31, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Added AFE ProDry S air filter the other day... noticeable change in idling rpm as well as highway rpm... haven't noticed a significant change in mpg's but will test on a long freeway trip coming up.

12. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    charliepff

charliepff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    RAM 1500
    JNome,

I am looking at doing something similiar since I do a lot of fishing trips. I was wondering what you all had sprayed with Line X, and how much the undercoating cost.

13. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    I had the lower door, rocker panels sprayed, and front of the rear flare spayed with linex. Take your truck down a muddy road and see where most of the drt impact on the side is, my goal was to cover those areas with linex. Its done good so far. The shop I went to offered to do the flares at no extra cost but I kind of like the color matched flares so I opted to not get those sprayed... those are plastic anyway so rust isn't a major concern there.

As for the undercoating... I went to a Ziebart dealer and had the whole job done for around 500

14. Feb 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Hey guys, since I have the TSB and AAL in the rear, I want to upgrade the front coils next.... anybody have any experience running the Eibach's, or OME 885's.... I've heard the Eibachs pair better with the 5100's but I like the option of getting heavier coils incase a steel bumper ends up going on the truck in the future.... Thoughts?

15. Feb 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Back ordered some Eibachs today to finish the lift for the front... anybody else have some on order and heard of a recent turnaround time on them? :confused:

16. Feb 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Loaded for a weekend of ice fishing and riding with my buddy's sled

[​IMG]

17. Mar 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    NCTacoma

NCTacoma Rather be in the mtns

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    CLT, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sold- Searching for 1st gen
    Looks good man. Almost exactly the height I want mine to be. Might hit you up when it comes time to start building.

18. Mar 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    briinh

briinh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    08' Tacoma sr5
    I see your from central Maine, don't you mean central Maine woods? Lol im also from Maine...but the real north woods...prob 5 hours north of you :) nice looking truck!

19. Mar 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    good start man!!!! all the after market companys on here are great bruteforce and cbi are my personal favorite but relentless and demello and even the newer allpro expo stuff is pretty good...also keep an eye on B.A.M.F for some armor stuff :)

20. Mar 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    JNome

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Pace, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP SR5 4wd
    Alright... you got me there... when it comes to Maine though I like to call the Allagash and the West Branch my real home... love it up there

Products Discussed in

To Top