SOLAR SHIET AND ROOF RACK
I sold the Echo the other day. 4 months with me, didn't need anymore since I cut 100 miles off my daily commute
Anyway, with $2,200 in my pocket I had to answer the question "What do I buy now?!"Here's what I just confirmed order of and will be eagerly awaiting:
- Thule roof rack tracks, 60" - these will go on the camper shell
- Rage 62.5" cargo basket, which will mount directly to tracks. LOW PROFILE FTMFW
- Cargo net for basket
- 20w instapark solar panel, to be mounted behind the deflector on roof rack.
- Digital solar charge controller, shows battery voltage on it which I wanted - and great reviews compared to the basic ones
- Some various wiring and quick connects for panels
- Auxiliary battery box, will go in bed, passenger side, towards the front
- $10 LED dome light fixture and bulbs, to replace my cold cathodes in bed
- 75ah deep cycle battery
Was inspired by someone on expeditionportal who came up with this method of mounting cargo baskets directly to tracks to achieve super low profile. Had always wanted solar setup, didn't want to drill holes JUST for the panel, may as well just install tracks.. rack.. and improvise with panel.
I know optimum charging will require proper orientation to the sun. However I mount it will be sturdy, but quickly undoable so I can reposition it if I'm really putting a hurting on the second battery.
I'll piece together a dual battery DIY deal following some instructions off expeditionportal as well, so I can take advantage of alternator charging both batteries and keep play battery isolated from starting batt.
What I plan to do is a) run a fan whenever I'm camped out and not give a crap, b) play a lot of music, and c) run lights whenever, d) feel safer with another fully charged battery. I'll post detailed pics of install once it all arrives