1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RedLantern's "Brokanic" build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by RedLantern, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Dec 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    RedLantern

RedLantern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    I'm contacting both of them. I can't have my truck down since it's my daily. Gonna ask them if they can provide the needed springs rather than sending mines in that way I can just send the spare valve body.

As far as videos go, I think I need a body harness for my gopro. I can't figure out where to mount the damn thing in the cab to get a good angle of my gauges. I have the sucktion cup for it so maybe driver window?

2. Dec 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Its more than just springs. There are some check balls in your valve body that need to be removed. Give them a call, I talked to John at IPT who was very helpfull when I did mine. I just wish I went with IPT instead of a third party a-hole.

Also, take note, there are diff versions of the 750 VB so make sure you got the right one. Dont want to pay for the work and not have the right VB :p

IPT Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1XdzmjdsPo

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  3. Dec 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Wait so what has to be sent in? I saw that video awhile back and reviewed it again last night. Thanks for posting it tho. It can be referenced for my thread

4. Dec 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.

For IPT, you have to send in the VB and actuators so you will probably still have to drop your VB to get the actuators... Talk with John at IPT, you may not have to send those in...

Some tips from my experience:

Have four small zip lock bags handy. As you take the actuators out, put them and their spring into a bag to make sure they don’t get mixed up. Don't worry which hole they came out of; they can only fit the correct hole so you can't f that up). Three are orriented down and one is oriented up (the spring will fall out and you have to reach in to pull out the piston).

Have a camera handy to take pictures. I took a picture of everything I removed, unplugged, etc... Probably overkill but it did help a little when putting everything back together. Gave me peace of mind.

Lower the VB VERY SLOWLY when removing. That check ball in the video will fly out if you’re not careful and the spring is very easy to lose. During re-install, it’s recommended you have an extra pair of hands to hold that checkball and the actuators in place as you raise up the VB. Even with the grease (IPT will send you the grease with the kit), they tend to fall out.

The VB will have a lot of fluid in so make sure you wrap it and seal it very well before shipping so it doesn’t soak the box.

Consider a face shield when you do this. You will have trans fluid dripping on your face the entire time under the truck. I got it in the eyes, nose, and mouth; it was a miserable time.

Also, be very careful when you torque the bolts; they are easy to snap. Invest in a small 3/8” drive torque wrench if you can.

Lastly, don’t get overwhelmed. I did this myself with no help. I still have to wisper to myself “lefty loosey, righty tighty” everytime I use a wrench so if I can do it, anyone can :p

5. Dec 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    colbyrainey

colbyrainey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    KC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl TRD Sport
    TSB Leafs, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", K&N Filter, Kenwood DNX 6180, BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror Bracket, Extra D-Rings, Gloss Black Stock Wheels, Grillcraft Grille
    subbed for awesomeness. I have some serious Taco envy now!

6. Dec 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Good info right there. IPT has been lagging to my emails and calls. However Level ten was quick to respond. I'll fish for more info. Might end up using level ten

7. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:

http://youtu.be/FuZnt9YpLYI

Going up a slight slope
    Sorry. Best I've Got. Can't find my sticky mount for the gopro. Lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    The_Black_Pearl likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    i like it. some where in mexico?

9. Dec 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Moves like a sports car. ;)

10. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    I like it. :popcorn:

I've always been a big fan of turbos and FI in general.. Have you had it on a dyno yet?

11. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    This thing pulls hard.
    No dyno yet. Just waiting to do my valvebody first then dyno will be next.

12. Dec 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.

Gotcha. Looks like it'll give some pretty impressive numbers though based off of that video.

If I ever do go forced induction on my truck it'll be years down the road, but I've always been curious.. With the URD S/C costing so much, I wonder if a low boost big turbo is the way to go? Might not be AS reliable as the supercharger, but more bang for your buck and I can't imagine a functioning low boost turbo system like yours could cost much more than the $4k for a new supercharger. :notsure:

Who's gonna be the guinea pig for twin charging like an old school VW? :p

13. Dec 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Actually I'm in deeper than the URD SC system. Due to this being a custom kit and having limited resources here in hawaii I'm well over the 7k mark maybe even 8k. The only reason I went this route is cause the majority of boosted trucks are all SCd here in hawaii. I only know of a few that are turbo'r. Plus I've felt the power difference in both turbo and sc applications (roots and centrifugal type). Sky's the limit with a turbo system just depends how you go at it. Like for me I had big plans for this truck but will now be my daily. I'm choosing to build a different vehicle due to the cost being less and still having all that power.

14. Dec 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM
    SpoilsofWar

SpoilsofWar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport Super Charged
    Very nice build

15. Dec 16, 2014 at 1:03 AM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it!

16. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    :woot: for Boost!

Sub'd. nice work man.

17. Dec 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    So I ended up going with Level 10 for the valvebody upgrade since they did a core exchange and because I use my truck as a daily. The one spare I bought off of eBay got shipped to me damaged by the carrier(connectors were all cracked and unable to use) so I filed a claim to get it squared away and it was quick too. With level 10s core program, it was $698 + 50 for shipping. Core charge was $500 which will be refunded after they receive the valvebody that comes off the truck.

For those that choose to go this route, there is a few things you need to do. According to dave from lvl10, Each a750e transmission uses different valvebody applications and Because of this, You will need to drain and drop your transmission pan and remove the trans filter since the ID# is behind it. They will need a photo of your VB with this ID# to provide you with the correct upgraded VB for your application.

I however took a photo of the VB with the filter still attached and had to drop and refill my pan twice. Please learn from my mistake cause that was time wasted on my part lol.

Anyways just got my tracking number for it and it should be here first week of January. Then will hopefully setup a dyno day hopefully before I leave for my trip.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    M192

M192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Cambria county PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma trd sport, 88 4runner
    Alot
    Duuuude that's sick. I have a nice rebuilt holset hx35 I was gonna put on my old DD. Now it's just a cool paperweight. Some day I would like to put it on something. My old car came factory with a Garrett t25. I bumped up to a Mitsubishi TD04-15G Nice thing was the only thing I needed for the holset was new manifold fuel pump and injectors plus a tune but I was gonna tune my self. Btw if u need a external waste gate I have a tial mvs I think NIB.

19. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Good deal man!

20. Dec 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Lol that's almost needing everything minus tune. I wish I had the knowledge to tune. I have the PRecision turbo WG 46mm. Thing works great. Regulates the boost at 7.5psi very well with no spikes. Thanks though.

Amen brother. I just got thinking while I was looking at my headers, they got vbands. Then the thought of making a one off twin setup crossed my mind. What do you think?

Products Discussed in

To Top