Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

RedLantern's "Brokanic" build

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #61
Senior Member
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MadMtnMikey's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #62120
Location: Richmond/VaBeach
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,331
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed to this shit !!!

Funny, I been sitting around thinking about throwing a T3/T4 on my first gen. I've had it wrapped in plastic new in the box for 3 years, it was supposed to be for my old turbo 240sx, but she's history and a diff story.

I'll be keeping up with your progress on this puppy


What are you're plans for engine management and airflow metering ? That seems to be the grey area for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #62
Senior Member
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MadMtnMikey's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #62120
Location: Richmond/VaBeach
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,331
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Doesn't actually look like to much a problem. Can you carefully bend the lines with out kinking them?

Or do you think that you'll need to get braided stainless lines? <<< If so, Jegs likely has the adapter fittings necessary to do so.
Agreed, pretty easy fix it looks.

Never ran into this problem with tranny lines before, but I've ran into brake line issues in other vehicles in my days of turbo-ing import pocket rockets.

Don't know you're experience, so I'll recommend whatever you do to resolve the interference, wrap or cover those lines with some heat shield padding, they're going to be close and that downpipe will be kicking off some major heat when you're spooling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #64
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
Doesn't actually look like to much a problem. Can you carefully bend the lines with out kinking them?

Or do you think that you'll need to get braided stainless lines? <<< If so, Jegs likely has the adapter fittings necessary to do so.

Picked up some R1 Concept rotors for my mom's Hyundai as well.
I might be able to bend them by removing the brackets holding them in place but I think I'll just reroute the lines. There's a shop here I can get some steel braided lines from along with some fittings. A trans cooler does sound nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMtnMikey View Post
Subbed to this shit !!!

Funny, I been sitting around thinking about throwing a T3/T4 on my first gen. I've had it wrapped in plastic new in the box for 3 years, it was supposed to be for my old turbo 240sx, but she's history and a diff story.

I'll be keeping up with your progress on this puppy


What are you're plans for engine management and airflow metering ? That seems to be the grey area for me.
Haha you should put that turbo to good use since you have some experience. As far as engine management, for the beginning stages ill be using the trd reflash once I get everything installed. I spoke to the technician at toyota who's going to be doing my reflash and was able to get my name in the system so he'll be taking care of me.

Once I have enough dough saved up then AEM ems will be used for optimum performance.

For a/f metering a wideband gauge will be used
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #65
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,518
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
I might be able to bend them by removing the brackets holding them in place but I think I'll just reroute the lines. There's a shop here I can get some steel braided lines from along with some fittings. A trans cooler does sound nice too.


Good deal. Should be a snap for that shop to get some lines fitted with plenty of slack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #66
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Tor, did u stop by powerfab? They stuck the goods in the freezer. It melted on its way there lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #68
Senior Member
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MadMtnMikey's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #62120
Location: Richmond/VaBeach
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,331
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
I might be able to bend them by removing the brackets holding them in place but I think I'll just reroute the lines. There's a shop here I can get some steel braided lines from along with some fittings. A trans cooler does sound nice too.



Haha you should put that turbo to good use since you have some experience. As far as engine management, for the beginning stages ill be using the trd reflash once I get everything installed. I spoke to the technician at toyota who's going to be doing my reflash and was able to get my name in the system so he'll be taking care of me.

Once I have enough dough saved up then AEM ems will be used for optimum performance.

For a/f metering a wideband gauge will be used
LOL.... Yeah, I don't want to get rid of the turbo, so you never know. Wideband is definitely good, I don't believe in running turbo without one, it's like playing russian roulette. Give some thought to running an EGT guage as well, it's a nice backup to the wideband, but not critical.

I never spec'd out our trucks, which is what makes me curious. But some important questions come to mind when I think about turbo'ing.

What size injectors are the factory ones ? They might hit 100% duty cycle quickly if they're not oversized by much.

How much is the factory MAFS capable of metering ? (Which was what I was getting at when I asked you about metering, lol) and what is a compatable replacement if it's maxed out easily.

I'm really curious what these engines can do with a turbo. I try to keep myself away though because I had a really bad addiction to spending money on my old 240 and it cost me a divorce . It's like doing drugs for me, it gives me a high when I upgrade something and then experience the performance of my efforts and money spent and I get addicted. Since I've been doing the 4x4 thing I seem to be controlling it better than when I was into racing little rice rockets, lol. Plus I have a son now so it helps keep me controlled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #69
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Joined: Sep 2009, #22958
Location: Houston
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,518
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMtnMikey View Post
LOL.... Yeah, I don't want to get rid of the turbo, so you never know. Wideband is definitely good, I don't believe in running turbo without one, it's like playing russian roulette. Give some thought to running an EGT guage as well, it's a nice backup to the wideband, but not critical.

I never spec'd out our trucks, which is what makes me curious. But some important questions come to mind when I think about turbo'ing.

What size injectors are the factory ones ? They might hit 100% duty cycle quickly if they're not oversized by much.

How much is the factory MAFS capable of metering ? (Which was what I was getting at when I asked you about metering, lol) and what is a compatable replacement if it's maxed out easily.

I'm really curious what these engines can do with a turbo. I try to keep myself away though because I had a really bad addiction to spending money on my old 240 and it cost me a divorce . It's like doing drugs for me, it gives me a high when I upgrade something and then experience the performance of my efforts and money spent and I get addicted. Since I've been doing the 4x4 thing I seem to be controlling it better than when I was into racing little rice rockets, lol. Plus I have a son now so it helps keep me controlled.
You should check out this thread.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=49189

That will give you some turbo graphs.

Factory injectors are 295 or 310cc. So they have to be upgraded. If Redlantern gets the AEM, it will be MAP based, so it won't use the factory MAF sensor. Either way I cannot remember the exact number, but I believe our MAF sensor is between 425 - 475 g/s. I would have to do some digging on that one.

The X-1 (expired) and UCON both continually use the MAF sensor. So they will at one point in time come to the need that the MAF sensor will have to be upgraded to one with a larger range for 0-5 VDC. I think some time ago that there was an idea of which would fit but I do not remember that either.

With all of the engine builds going on lately, including people who are running the URD MKIII, it shouldn't be too long before someone starts maxing out the MAF sensor.

MAP sensors are sooo much easier to upgrade versus our MAF though. Simply because there is a broad selection available.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #70
Senior Member
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MadMtnMikey's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #62120
Location: Richmond/VaBeach
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,331
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
You should check out this thread.

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=49189

That will give you some turbo graphs.

Factory injectors are 295 or 310cc. So they have to be upgraded. If Redlantern gets the AEM, it will be MAP based, so it won't use the factory MAF sensor. Either way I cannot remember the exact number, but I believe our MAF sensor is between 425 - 475 g/s. I would have to do some digging on that one.

The X-1 (expired) and UCON both continually use the MAF sensor. So they will at one point in time come to the need that the MAF sensor will have to be upgraded to one with a larger range for 0-5 VDC. I think some time ago that there was an idea of which would fit but I do not remember that either.

With all of the engine builds going on lately, including people who are running the URD MKIII, it shouldn't be too long before someone starts maxing out the MAF sensor.

MAP sensors are sooo much easier to upgrade versus our MAF though. Simply because there is a broad selection available.
Oh ok, good deal, not too familiar with AEM, that makes things a little easier if it replaces the MAF. I sorta figured the injectors probably didn't have much room. He'd probably be straight with a 450cc, but if you're gonna spend the money, might as well allow safety margin and get 550cc.

Over in the Nissan realm, the SR20DET guys would upgrade the MAFS to a 300zx or 5.0 Mustang OEM model. I used to just use Apex piggyback stuff because I piece milled everything together a little at a time. The AVCR for boost control, and the SAFC for fuel control, and an Innovate wideband. You could modify the output voltages with the SAFC so the ECU would never know, SAFC did all the calculations and just told the ECU what it needed to know but making it think it was running stock sized MAFS and Injectors, but you could only go 50% bigger than stock, but you could run just about any damn MAFS you want to. Full standalone is obviously better, it actually takes into account the wideband data input in most cases...... You sound like you already know all this, I'm just rambling and remembering shit. I haven't tweaked on anything in years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #71
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Everything torspd speaks is truth and he really knows his stuff. He pretty much paved the way so we can learn from his experience which is what I'm doing Just reading through his build. Made it a lot easier on my end. Thanks again Tor!

As far injectors, I just traded my oilpan spacer for some URD injectors with another member on xru that are rated at 668cc. Will work well for my goals on the stock motor. I will upgrade in the future to ID 1000cc once I have the spare engine built up to handle higher psi.


Sorry to hear about your marriage but I think boost in MODERATION is good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #72
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Mike, maybe this would interest you....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...it-3-4l-2.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #73
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: May 2011, #56389
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,995
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna spool while crawling......
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #75
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Another piece of the puzzle that came in this week. Some urd injectors.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #77
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
Haha! Jeremy emailed me that it was melted. He said he stuck it in the freezer. I maybe I shoulda packed it with some dry ice to keep it in tact. Did he give u the cookies?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #78
RedLantern [OP] RedLantern is online now
Senior Member
RedLantern is on a distinguished road
 
RedLantern's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2012, #92641
Location: Honolulu, Hi
Gender: Male
Posts: 264
RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
I had time to dip the front end before the sun went down.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #79
Senior Member
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MadMtnMikey's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Aug 2011, #62120
Location: Richmond/VaBeach
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,331
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post
Everything torspd speaks is truth and he really knows his stuff. He pretty much paved the way so we can learn from his experience which is what I'm doing Just reading through his build. Made it a lot easier on my end. Thanks again Tor!

As far injectors, I just traded my oilpan spacer for some URD injectors with another member on xru that are rated at 668cc. Will work well for my goals on the stock motor. I will upgrade in the future to ID 1000cc once I have the spare engine built up to handle higher psi.


Sorry to hear about your marriage but I think boost in MODERATION is good.
No doubt, sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

1000cc injectors ?!?! Good god, lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5280EM!: SWB DC LB Build "Blue" 5280EM! 2nd Gen. Builds 30 04-11-2014 09:24 AM
"Knight" Build. '06 Doublecab Tactical Taco, or "Help me Build my Truck!" Fortunateson1969 2nd Gen. Builds 1 12-18-2013 01:19 PM
B.est B.ang for B.uck B.uild "4B" Interactive build off. mdcdave New Members 0 05-11-2011 08:06 AM
Kilted Chiken's (aka Banshee) build. Codename "EVO". ForeRunner Other Builds 43 10-29-2010 08:35 PM
09 Black Access Cab "Build Thread" Tim1968 2nd Gen. Tacomas 27 03-25-2010 08:24 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.