Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

FloridaOccifer's Budget Build

Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
FloridaOccifer's Budget Build

I have had a ton of PM's lately asking about the mods I have made to my newest truck. After having 4 Tacomas (counting my current), I have learned a ton of things from not only members on this forum but others as well.

My biggest concern is trying to balance a nice build with good parts without breaking the bank. Of course there are a lot of directions I would still like to go but when you are trying to balance a job/family/life choices have to be made that do not involve a fancy truck... Well I feel that my ride is still unique.

With that being said, my newest truck was ordered (first one ever) in January of 2012. I was in my 2008 at the time and went my dealership just to check out the new front end. After 3hrs I was awaiting a Silver SR5 4x4 with a few accessory packages. Most of my other Tacomas were always TRD offroad but I never saw the real value in the package price.

First day.

I was not willing to part with my wheels/tires (16" Dick Cepek Torque with Pirelli Scorpion 265/75/16 E)from my previous taco so as part of the sales deal I swapped after delivery. I then installed my trifold bedcover, AVS in-channel vent visors and tinted the windows to 5% all the way around.

5100's ordered and after a long discussion I decided to set them at 1.75" (my previous truck was at 2.50" without upper control arms. Bad move because my alignment was never dialed in correct). I also contacted a member here and purchased a set of TRD sport springs / TRD Bilsteins (yellow) for next to nothing. I took the springs to my local powder coating shop and had then coated red for $25 a spring.

After installing Bilsteins I noticed the rear end was starting to settle, bringing the front-rear measurements too close for my taste. I have never been one to like the "nose up" look so I ordered a set of 1" rear blocks and installed the yellow Bilstein rears to make the stance more my style. I also ordered a set of Nokya yellow fog bulbs (anytime mod) along with some Sockmonkey style!

I then started looking for a set of step rails... Craigslist is by far the best resource for parts out there and sure enough I found a set of NFab rails for $200 that were taken off of a new truck after purchase. I also sanded and painted the Toyota symbol along with starting to remove badges.

If anyone has ever seem the factory mudflaps in action while the truck is moving you will understand why I also purchased a full set of Husky flaps ($60) and sold my factory flaps for $160ish.

I was enjoying the red accents so I picked up some caliper paint...

Mods stopped at that point for several reasons and I almost came to the point where I had to sell my new Taco... Luckily everything worked out and about 6 months later I started the process again... With some unallocated tax returns I started my next phase. I was wanting a more aggressive tread but could not deal with the E load ride. I also figured if I was going to upgrade the tire it may be a good time to go up one size on the wheel.

Goodyear Duratracs continuously came out on top when I compared what I wanted but didn't want to sacrifice ride, comfort or handling.

When I originally purchased my Dick Cepek Torque wheels (for my 2008) I went with 16" because due to budget reasons I could not get new wheels/tires. I LOVED the Torque wheels and received tons of compliments but the entire time I wanted Jesters... Well now was the time to get some.

I also wanted to protect the carpet so Weathertechs were installed...

Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Mods to date:
2012 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 SR5 6spd Tow

· Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 C load

· Ballistic Jester 17x9 (4.5BS -12 offset)

· TonneauPro trifold cover

· Limo Tint (5%)

· VentVisor inchannel visors

· Nokya yellow fogs

· Powdercoated TRD front springs

· Sock Monkey bedside decals

· Anti-theft tailgate mod (hose clamp)

· TRD front tow hook (taken from my 2008 during trade in)

· TRD Bilstein rear shocks (acquired from TW member)

· TRD sill guards

· Anytime Fogs mod

· Husky mud flaps

· Bilstein 5100 front shocks

· Rear 1” Blocks

· Red Calipers

· Weathertech Floorliners (Front/Rear)

- Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares

- Sockmonkey Bedside Decals

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
Clean clean clean! I like the red accents everywhere, especially the wheels.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylay View Post
Clean clean clean! I like the red accents everywhere, especially the wheels.
Thank you!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
BigD91 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Emergency Medical Technician
Name: Andrew
BigD91's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome man!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Love the build!

I'll ask the one that everyone asks:

Did you have to do any trimming with that wheel setup?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
Love the build!

I'll ask the one that everyone asks:

Did you have to do any trimming with that wheel setup?

Thanks,

Trimming... not really but yes.

The wheels are -12 so they stick out a bit... With that being said the "front" flap would rub in full lock and sound like the bumper was being ripped off. I took both sides off (10mm bolt x2) and the noise was no more

Everything thing else fits like it was made specifically for the truck.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaoccifer View Post
Mods to date:
2012 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 SR5 6spd Tow

· Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17 C load

· Ballistic Jester 17x9 (4.5BS -12 offset)

· TonneauPro trifold cover

· Limo Tint (5%)

· VentVisor inchannel visors

· Nokya yellow fogs

· Powdercoated TRD front springs

· Sock Monkey bedside decals

· Anti-theft tailgate mod (hose clamp)

· TRD front tow hook (taken from my 2008 during trade in)

· TRD Bilstein rear shocks (acquired from TW member)

· TRD sill guards

· Anytime Fogs mod

· Husky mud flaps

· Bilstein 5100 front shocks

· NFab Wheel to Wheel Steps

· Rear 1” Blocks

· Red Calipers

· Weathertech Floorliners (Front/Rear)

- Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares

- Sockmonkey Bedside Decals

I know that spot, small but fun.

Your truck looks great!

GH
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
I know that spot, small but fun.

Your truck looks great!

GH

Thank you sir!

The H-pit is nice and it gives me just enough to keep me happy
Old 04-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #13
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRunner View Post
Nice build. Are those flares wider than the stock flares?

Thank you, the bushwackers are a little larger than stock. We had an entire thread posted about the width and I even posted some pictures on it.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Nice looking truck. I always enjoy the little details. The red accents really stand out.
Thank you, I have been planning out the red for a while and just trying to make sure I dont over do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz4back View Post
Your truck is looking great! The Jesters look good on silver
Thank you sir!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
Bat is on a distinguished road

Bat's Tacoma Gallery
Real nice. How do you like the 5% tint? I wanted to go that route also but they said it's illegal in Florida for the front.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
Real nice. How do you like the 5% tint? I wanted to go that route also but they said it's illegal in Florida for the front.
Love the tint. I have only had issues with the Florida Highway Patrol (go figure). If you are not used to it at night it can be a HUGE issue
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Sold the NFab steps and picked up a set of Trail Gear Sliders

Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Civil Servant

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
LOL