Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Airdog's 2012 Prerunner Access Cab (slow) Build

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Airdog's 2012 Prerunner Access Cab (slow) Build

This is how she sits as of 04-28-14:

Mods as of 4-8-2014

Suspension
Icon 2.5 Extended Remote Resi Coilover's
King 2.5 2 Tube Remote Resi Bypasses
Icon Tubular Upper Control Arms
Total Chaos Stock Length Lower Control Arms
Total Chaos Dual Shock Hoops
Kartek 10 Inch Limit Straps
Maxtrac Spindles 4 inch lift
Icon 2.0 Rear Resi's
OME Dakar Leafs with D29XL leaf
AllPro U-Bolt Flip Kit
Extended Brakelines
Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets
Total Chaos Coil Bucket Gussets

Exterior
E&G Grill
Trailer Products Fibergalss fenders 3 inch flair 2 inch rise
BHLM
TRS Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S)with Halo's
CsJumper LED's- DRL switchbacks, parking lights, Tag Lights, Reverse Lights 55w, Dome and maplights
ProComp Wheel Series 7089
Hankook Dynapro's 315/75-16
Rigid Industries 20" LED lightbar
Rigid Industries Dually's 20* Spot Pattern
Trailer Harness Relocated to Rear Bumper (Standard with the Pelfreybilt HC Bumper)
BAMF Behind the Grill Lightbar bracket
Relentless Bed CrossBars
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Fog Light anytime Mod
Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE Hood Gas Shocks
Rear Diff Breather Mod
Cab Mount Chop

Interior
Sony MEX-GS600BT Head Unit (Hidden)
In-Dash Apple iPad Mini (Controls Head Unit and Navigation)
Alpine MRX-F65 Amp
Alpine SWS-10D4 Sub
Image Dynamics CTX65cs component speakers
Dual Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Yaesu FT-60R 2M/440 with MARS Cap mod

Armor
Pelfreybilt IFS Skid
Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper
Pelfreybilt Rear Hi-Clearance bumper
AllPro Heavy Duty Rock Sliders

12-25-12
Well i've had the truck since last june and discovered TW in December and it's been all downhill for my bank account since.
It started in late December with a Grill from E&G.

12-27-12
Then it rolled right into the stereo. I wanted to keep the stock head unit but still get some thumpin going on:
First I ordered the CTX65cs component speakers from tacotunes with the MDF speaker adapters.

Got me an enclosure with a single Alpine SWS10D4

Remote bass control knob installed into one of the blank covers

Alpine MRX-F65 amp installed under the drivers seat

I am extremely pleased with this installation. The thing absolutely thumps. Mirrors vibrating...people in other cars looking at you like WTF..exactly what I wanted and all with stock head unit!
I installed the CTX65cs speakers myself which was easy enough but got lazy and decided to let Car Stereo and Alarm in Brea CA do the install of the amp, sub and bass control and PAC line converter. The work was excellent and the final product is exactly what I asked for and sounds better than I expected.
The amp is pushing 110 watts rms on channels 1 & 2 to the front component speakers and the sub is getting 320watts from a bridged connection on channels 3&4. I chose to go with only one sub so I didnt lose all my space in the AC and i'm really pleased that I did. On a recomendation of the stereo shop I did not disconnect the rear headliner speakers, as he said there is really no downside leaving them hooked up and that they will provide a little bit of fill behind me. They do not run off the amp just off the head unit.

2-7-13
LED lights from CSJUMPER2003
At this point I did the interior lights, front parking lights and the white/amber Drl's. Real happy with the service and the installation of the DRL's went well with the instructions provided. Got a few pics below and a short video.
Interior Before:

Interior After:

Video of the White/Amber DRL's in action
http://youtu.be/F7oZeQz6qmc

2-14-13:
Then it came time for some Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit projector headlamps from TRS. I also installed the LED halos inside the G37-R shrouds. I did the whole install myself. It really was not the difficult.

http://youtu.be/sun8wHw8jRI

Pics:

Here is a shot of the beam pattern before I made any adjustments.

2-18-13
I just added some new ProComp 7089 series wheels with the stock tires.

Next is a lift...stay tuned
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
2-26-2013
Put on some bilstein 5100's@1.75 to level it out. Took about 2 hours by myself. I used the stock springs and swapped them to the new shocks using my floor jack on the LCA to unload the spring pressure. Super easy and felt safe the whole time. Purchased the shocks from Downsouth Motorsports. Ordered on Sunday night at my door Tuesday morning.
Pic of it all done:

3-22-13
Decided to do the Black Headlight Mod (BHLM) after I saw one up close the other day. Real happy with it. Next is going to be color matching the Grill surround.

3-30-13
Picked up a lift kit from Headstrong Offroad Highly recommend them for great prices and service!!

Painted the Maxtrac Spindles I picked up on Friday. Used 2 coats of Krylon primer...2 coats Krylon matte black then 2 coats of Krylon matte clear over where I polished up the MT logo. Hopefully this will mitigate any surface rust issues.
Installing the spindles, OME Dakar leaf packs, OME nitrocharger rear shocks and extended brake lines at all 4 corners on Monday. 33 inch tires shortly after that!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #3

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
4-1-2013
Today I installed my Maxtrac Spindle and set the 5100's to .85. I also installed OME Dakar Leafs with nitrocharger shocks. I also put in extended brake lines at all 4 corners also. Install took about 8 hours working by myself except for bleeding the brakes. Gotta get some new rubber to fill in the wheel wells now.

4-2-13
Put on some BFG AT KO 285/75/16

4-16-2013
The money pit continues with a set of AllPro Sliders!

4-18-13
Getting my sliders welded on. Even though the sliders are bolt on I decided that I did not like that the front was mounted with self tapping screws and the single bolt for the rear. So off I went to Sick Nick Fab in Stanton CA and let him do his magic, he does excellent work and has great prices. I had him weld the front support and the rear support area. I also had a few stitch welds along the bottom of the plate that wraps around the bottom of the frame.
Nick at Work

5-11-13
Installed Relentless Fab crossbars with Hi-lift mounts and a Garvin Wilderness rack for my full size spare.

5-15-13
BAMF behind the grill Light bar

Fabricated up a Aux fuse panel plus support bracket. Will be adding relays to the panel when they show up and then wiring in the lights and room for future mods. I used a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse panel and a 100 amp circuit breaker.

Red arrow below points to the support bracket

All wired up.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
5-18-13
Well I went to the SoCal Tacoma truck meet at the 4 Wheel Parts in Chula Vista CA bought myself $25 in raffle tickets.....and this is what I won!!!
Pelfreybilt IFS Skid

AND a Rigid Industries 20 inch lightbar. It is a flood/spot/flood style.

Thats right folks....$1000+ in truck swag for $25 bucks...well worth the 200 mile round trip I drove.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
m32 has a spectacular aura aboutm32 has a spectacular aura aboutm32 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Edwin
m32's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post more pics of the retrofit? I'm about to do mine this weekend and don't know if I want to do the BHLM and your;s is the first 12/13 I've seen with the stock surrounds. Any extra pics is appreciated. Thanks!

Edwin
Old 03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
Can you post more pics of the retrofit? I'm about to do mine this weekend and don't know if I want to do the BHLM and your;s is the first 12/13 I've seen with the stock surrounds. Any extra pics is appreciated. Thanks!

Edwin
Probably easier for you to just go thru my Flikr page HERE Tons more pictures in there.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
m32 has a spectacular aura aboutm32 has a spectacular aura aboutm32 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Edwin
m32's Tacoma Gallery
thanks! Appreciate the link

Edwin
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
love the lights bro, they came out really nice
Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery

Your truck looks awesome man, nice work!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great! Are you running wheel spacers? I want to run some spindles on mine but don't want to go bigger than 16" on wheels cause I just got new tires.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #13

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Truck looks great! Are you running wheel spacers? I want to run some spindles on mine but don't want to go bigger than 16" on wheels cause I just got new tires.
Thanks for the compliment!
I am not running spacers. I have aftermarket rims that have 4.5 inches of backspacing, they do not require spacers with these spindles. That being said, stock rims are 5.5 inches of backspace so they would require spacers. Hopefully this makes sense.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Finally an answer! So anything with 4.5 or less will work with the spindles? I thought it had to be 3.75 on 16" for the spindles to work. Thanks man! Time to start saving!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
Clean man. Looks killer
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #16

Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Finally an answer! So anything with 4.5 or less will work with the spindles? I thought it had to be 3.75 on 16" for the spindles to work. Thanks man! Time to start saving!
Yes anything 4.5 or less and at least a 16 inch wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRed06 View Post
Clean man. Looks killer
Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Sick build!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #19
Kuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really niceKuhl29 is just really nice

EMS: Emt-I
Name: Ian
Kuhl29's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks sick man! and those maxtracs look sick up close.