Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Starting 09 Buildup Need Help

Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
southerncreation is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
southerncreation's Tacoma Gallery
Starting 09 Buildup Need Help

I've had my 09 Tacoma for a few years now always been a great truck no problems but i've decided that it now needs a few upgrades and I wanted to ask what people would recomend. First things first I want to lift it roughly 3 inches I've talked to a local Toyata dealership and basicaly there 3 inch lift they install on there vehicles is about $600 installed. But i havent checked with any local offroad shops to see what they have to offer yet. I was wondering what ya'll would recomend on brand, quality and price? Second thing is something that I should have done years ago to prevent disrespectful people from slamming there doors into mine is put some sort of rocker protection on my truck as well as protect it from scraping along rocks and stuff when I was hunting in Virginia. Now this is what i'm looking for something that I am able to bolt on but still very strong even if I have to drill a couple extra holes to increase strength dont really like welding stuff like that to vehicles in case i have to take off later. Also must be strong enough to where i can put a high lift jack under it and jack truck up if i have too and also stick far enough out from truck to prevent disrespectful people from slamming there doors into mine also must be strong enough for me to weld additional parts onto I have an idea for payback on the door slamming people. Third and final thing for now the bumpers I've looked at a couple but want opinions or if anyone has other ideas. First off must be strong and dependable and usefull it does me no good if it looks good but gets destroyed if i hit a sappling at low speed with it. I've looked at the ARB and the new Fab Four bumpers like both of them but i want opinions on what people think or if someone knows of a bumper that is just as good or better. Not real for sure what i wanna do with the back bumper yet but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you all and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of lift is the dealership's..suspension or body??.. I would go with OME (old man emu) suspension if you plan on going with ARB bumper.. it will give you a 3in lift in suspension..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
It was a suspension lift not for sure who it was made by though but i have looked at the old man emu lifts and they do seem more practical than some of the others that i've looked at.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
if u want a ARB bumper or a heavy duty bumper as well as a winch no doubt go with OME.. w/ 886 coils..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Ok that sounds like it would work good then i'm just trying to get some of the cheaper mods out of the way first since most bumpers that i've seen start at like $700 and go up. Mainly wanting to get it lifted with the rocker gaurds and probaly a new set of wheels and tires was kind of waiting for what i have now to wear out before i bought new ones. But thank you for the info on the lift and coils on that one
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
if u want a ARB bumper or a heavy duty bumper as well as a winch no doubt go with OME.. w/ 886 coils..
That's good advice. The ARB/winch combo will definitely conquer saplings. It doesn't look as "pretty" as some bumpers, but it is meant for business. ARB will put a load on your front end, especially with a winch. I'm running stock suspension with a leveling kit with the ARB. A suspension upgrade is definitely needed to handle the weight.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
I was wondering what you all that about the rough country 3" lift kit a freind of mine had actualy told me they make one and i could buy it and have it installed for $400. I know they make good lifts cause i had just bought a 4" lift for my 85 silverado.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncreation View Post
I was wondering what you all that about the rough country 3" lift kit a freind of mine had actualy told me they make one and i could buy it and have it installed for $400. I know they make good lifts cause i had just bought a 4" lift for my 85 silverado.
There is definitely better options. That uses spacers up front for lift right? If you offroad dont do a spacer lift. I recomend old man emu or a cheaper option would be 5100s with stock coils, but your not going to want stock coils with added weight of armor. Speaking of armor check out bamf sliders http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...ll-trucks.html
Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Yeah I just had a chance to look at there lift for the tacoma not real impressed and not a real big fan of using lift blocks and spacers anyways. And thanks for the tip on the sliders i've now found 2 that i like
Old 03-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Has anyone used the 3" pro comp lift? Just trying to weigh my options right now I've looked at the OME lift and that will probaly more than likely be the one i go with. Just want an opinion on the pro comp cause im not real for sure if I really want to add an ARB bumper to the truck since it will still be a daily driver and i know the more I add the less gas milage I'll get and not to mention if I do decide to do any heavy wheeling thats what i've got my 85 silverado for anyways.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Try searching pro comp lift, people have it here. They use 700lb springs which is very stiff but might be good with a plate bumper