Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

STiLL WILL's[Matt] 2013 Super White DCSB Tacoma TX|Pro

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roberto
Robotoco's Tacoma Gallery
damn should be looking pretty sweet be sure to post pics
Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #43
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotoco View Post
damn should be looking pretty sweet be sure to post pics
Ohhh yeah, don't worry I will flood this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Nice build! subd for sure

I've been debating switching to the red-line mt-90 trans oil in my 6-spd. Was the drain and re-fill easy?
Thank you!

Switching to MT-90 is a MUST IMO if you have the 6-speed. It smoothes everything and makes shifts more silky. Drain and fill was SUPER easy. 3 bottles MAX.

I think I'm going to get the TRD short shifter as well. The throws on the 6-speed 2nd gens are ridiculously long......coming from previously owning 1st gen 5 speed v6.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #44
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, I hear ya on the throws. I tried the URD short shifter and thought it made the throws a ton better but reverse was just too much of a bear to get into. It didnt feel like the kind of stress I wanted on my trans. I tried it for a few hundred miles and pulled it. Been happy since just driving it like a truck... PM me if you'd like to give it a try.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #45
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ya, I hear ya on the throws. I tried the URD short shifter and thought it made the throws a ton better but reverse was just too much of a bear to get into. It didnt feel like the kind of stress I wanted on my trans. I tried it for a few hundred miles and pulled it. Been happy since just driving it like a truck... PM me if you'd like to give it a try.
Yeah my friend has the URD on his '07 6sp and I really didn't like the engagement(or lack-thereof lol) for reverse. When I bought my truck in March, I sat in another lot pickup outfitted with the optional TRD short shifter. I liked that one better, and I should've just bought it then!

Long throw 6 sp + drive by wire + high clutch engagement definitely work against you when you're trying to row quickly lol.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #46
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was bad.
I agree that the combination you noted above makes for a tough setup to move quick with. Keeps me driving responsible i guess.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #47
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
Picked her up from the dealership today....TRD SUPERCHARGER IS OFFICIALLY IN!!!

Impressions(initial):
-torque for DAYS
-I <3 supercharger whine
-much less throttle input needed to achieve same speeds
-don't ask me about MPG's right now, I am enjoying blasting through this tank currently
-can't wait to install the URD goodies I have waiting!

Congrats! I'm one jealous mo fo.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #48
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought it was bad.
I agree that the combination you noted above makes for a tough setup to move quick with. Keeps me driving responsible i guess.
Yeah, not too impressed with the 6-speed in the 2nd gens, but being this is my 3rd Toyota pickup I've ever owned(all manuals)---I could not see myself driving an automatic one EVER! *sigh* If only they made the 1st gen double cab/short beds in a manual I would probably be singing a different song. Gotta love the additional size though over the 1st gens for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
Congrats! I'm one jealous mo fo.
haha thanks man, the additional lower end grunt is ADDICTING.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #49
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

A couple things done today.

"FPR mod"

Got a brand new OEM TRD Sport grill then Plasti-DERP'd the emblem. No more chrome in the front!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #50
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
He's getting URD "goodies"
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #51
Get Boosted
ToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the roughToyotaTacoma4Ever is a jewel in the rough

Name: Eric
ToyotaTacoma4Ever's Tacoma Gallery
Your running th stock pulley right?
I don't see a reason why you needed the FPR Mod unless your plannin to go to a smaller pulley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
He's getting URD "goodies"
Deleted my post by accident and I was making sure if he was getting a smaller pulley and he didn't list it in his "goodies" yet lol
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #52
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaTacoma4Ever View Post
Your running th stock pulley right?
I don't see a reason why you needed the FPR Mod unless your plannin to go to a smaller pulley?

Deleted my post by accident and I was making sure if he was getting a smaller pulley and he didn't list it in his "goodies" yet lol
Haha yeah prepping for the 2.8 stealth URD eventually.

URD fuel pump & external filter go in next Saturday and hopefully the URD 170° t-stat as well.

Y-pipe & AFE SI intake going on this week.

Also hoping to get the TRD quick shifter installed soon as well.

Called Doug Thorley last week to confirm CARB exempt cert on their '12-'13 short tube headers so those will be next....then will wrap up powertrain mods with the 2.8 pulley.

Then she goes on beefy midtravel suspension!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
SiLkk is on a distinguished road

SiLkk's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build!!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #54
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLkk View Post
Awesome build!!
Thanks man!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #55
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Almost finishing up the engine mods!

This weekend I got these done:

-URD fuel pump(Walbro 255 HP) & external filter
-URD y-pipe
-AFE Stage 2si intake w/ProDry S filter

pics..........

DEFINITELY woke up the supercharger more. The truck roasts them all through 1st gear now lol---bumping off redline INSTANTLY haha it's ridiculous. 2nd gear is loose in the beginning as well lol.

Up next waiting to be installed:
-URD thermostat
-TRD short shifter
-Innovative AFR guage
-Defi boost guage
-Cravenspeed Flexpod(for guages)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #56
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
So I know you were saying you haven't noticed if the SC has helped with your mileage, but hypothetically speaking shouldn't it help improve your MPG if you drive with a civil foot? While giving you that absurd amount of power?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #57
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
So I know you were saying you haven't noticed if the SC has helped with your mileage, but hypothetically speaking shouldn't it help improve your MPG if you drive with a civil foot? While giving you that absurd amount of power?
I STILL have yet had the discipline to do the "right foot in moderation" mileage study, but hopefully I can calm down through the next tank of gas lol.

What I will say is this...

With the SAME clutch/gas inputs I had when the truck was completely stock, I am now driving waaaaay too fast. So basically, I've had to dial back my touch on the gas a bit to keep it "normal" around town.

So I will concede that HYPOTHETICALLY () yes, with moderate/civilized driving, your MPG's >may< improve since you can get going along with much less gas pedal input.

Dotted line passing on 2-way traffic roads no longer needs a downshift from 6th gear now. It's really that responsive!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #58
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
I STILL have yet had the discipline to do the "right foot in moderation" mileage study, but hopefully I can calm down through the next tank of gas lol.

What I will say is this...

With the SAME clutch/gas inputs I had when the truck was completely stock, I am now driving waaaaay too fast. So basically, I've had to dial back my touch on the gas a bit to keep it "normal" around town.

So I will concede that HYPOTHETICALLY () yes, with moderate/civilized driving, your MPG's >may< improve since you can get going along with much less gas pedal input.

Dotted line passing on 2-way traffic roads no longer needs a downshift from 6th gear now. It's really that responsive!
It is times like this that I am kicking myself in the head for not getting a stick.... Stupid automatics.

But one day, one day... I am hoping to go for either a SC or new tranny and get a 6spd. I know those are crazy things to say, but I am determined.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #59
Beating Anorexia since 1976
OmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OmahaStylee's Tacoma Gallery

Sub'd

I'm enjoying this one.
can't wait to see more
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
It is times like this that I am kicking myself in the head for not getting a stick.... Stupid automatics.

But one day, one day... I am hoping to go for either a SC or new tranny and get a 6spd. I know those are crazy things to say, but I am determined.
Haha, hey man more power to you!!!! I say DOOO ITTTTT.

Honestly,

The 6-speed in the 2nd gens, although vastly improved since it's 1st iterations on the 2005's, are definitely not as nice as I had imagined. Coming from owning a '94 22RE Toyota pickup 5-speed, and a '95.5 3VZFE(3.4 v6) Toyota Tacoma 5-speed[in my sig], the 6 speed feels really unrefined---even in it's latest form in my '13. I was really disappointed, but it's whatever.

I will NEVER own an automatic Toyota pickup unless it's a Tundra. Just personal preference. I think it's the combination of the drive-by-wire throttle, high(relatively speaking) clutch engagement, and HUGE rowing gaps between the gears of the 6 speed that makes it a little less than ideal for me. Don't get me wrong, the gearing is REALLY nice to have though. Being able to let 'em loose to redline will always be why I come back to a manual trans.

Products Discussed in this Thread