Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Toyotacrawler's Not a Crawler Build

Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Saturday morning I went down to Advanced Fabrication Solutions so that Travis could tack up my All Pro Pack Rack.
I'd like to thank Travis for letting me help and also working with my picky ass.
There were only a couple of issues with the All Pro kit. One of the side rails was bent so we had to hammer it back out semi straight. You can see the bend in the third picture. At about the 5th bolt hole from the rear of the truck you can see the bend on the lower edge of the bed rail.
The other issue was that one of the hoops was a little kicked out. Travis had to get pretty good weld on a few locations then we pulled on the hoop so he could get a tack on it. It's not perfect but it's close enough to square where I can live with it.

If anybody around the Auburn/Opelika area needs some welding done call Travis Mellons at Advanced Fabrication Solutions. (334)741-7387
He will work with you until the job meets your satisfaction.

Travis will have it fully welded up today and ready for me to pick up. Depending on the humidity, I hope to have it primed and painted by the end of the week. I'm using Rustoleum Red Oxide as my primer and for my top coat Rustoleum Matte Black.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the threads started on the square nuts that All Pro provided for the bed rail attachment to the truck. There is no way to hold the nut in place. They need a spring tacked to them!
We tried to bolt the rails in Saturday but only managed to get 2 bolts in at the rear. The only way we accomplished that was to start the nut on the bolt then slide the rail onto the truck. This will not work for the other 3 bolts for each side though. Maybe All Pro has a trick or something...
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Andy! We have been dreaming about one for 2 years and finally had the opportunity for it to become a reality. I can't wait to get it mounted up there and test it out!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
She's got the jimmy legs

Just picked up my Bed Rack. I'm very pleased with it! Thank you Travis from Advanced Fabrication Solutions for the welding and All Pro Offroad for the kit!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #25
She's got the jimmy legs

Managed to get a coat of primer on the rack last night. I'm going to use 1000 grit sandpaper to remove some of the over spray tonight and apply one more coat of red oxide primer.
I'll let that sit until Friday and begin to apply the top coat of Matte Black.
Hopefully it will turn out pretty good.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #26
She's got the jimmy legs

Top coat applied! I'll let the rack sit until Saturday then install it and the RTT.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
She's got the jimmy legs

I got the RTT mounted! It's pretty kick ass and I cant wait to try it out. I might get drunk as piss and see how it sleeps tonight.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #28
She's got the jimmy legs

Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
She's got the jimmy legs

Haha nah I didn't. The possibility of that happening will increase over the 4th of July holiday though!
Weather permitting....Helen GA is looking wet until sometime Friday
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #32
She's got the jimmy legs

That sounds awesome. I think the weather is going to clear out over that way for the 4th. Hope it does!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
She's got the jimmy legs

Well, we had the opportunity to try out our Tepui Tent over the 4th. The rain SUCKED! It rained the entire time we were there minus the 15 minutes of sun from the picture below. The 10+ inches of rain eventually saturated everything. After 12 hours or so the seams started to weep a bit. The main thing is it held up to the rain for the most part and we slept dry and comfortable. I was pleased with the way the tent performed during the constant deluge of water thrown at it.

Here is a pic of our setup during the 15 minutes of sun
Old 07-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #34
She's got the jimmy legs

I knew that sliding the RTT on and off the Bed Rack would more than likely scrape the paint off. We tried not to slide as best we could but nobody's perfect ha ha. The harsh edges of the RTT mounting tracks took the paint right off in some spots.
Well, I figured I would give this a shot. I purchased some foam pipe insulation at the hardware store and trimmed it to fit. I haven't tried it out yet but I think it will do the trick. I need to find some Velcro straps to lock the ends of the insulation down when the tent is mounted. I just store them in the garage when they aren't in use.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
She's got the jimmy legs

Rotated my tires today and put a fresh coat of paint on the drums. Strange thing happened. Now my steering wheel shakes violently when I hit 45mph.
It feels like the vibration is coming from the left front but I'm not sure. I guess all I can do is take it to get the balance checked on the front. I didn't feel the shimmy when the tire was on the rear. This leads me to believe that I lost a weight or something. Has anybody else had this issue when rotating tires?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
She's got the jimmy legs

Anybody got any ideas? ^^^^
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with you, wheel weight.

If you don't mind I'd like to check out your tent sometime when you have a chance.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #38
She's got the jimmy legs

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the front tires balance checked. Hopefully it's that simple.
I don't mind at all if you check out the tent. I think we are going to head up to a campground at West Point lake this weekend and put it to work. I'm sure we can figure out a time at some point. Just let me know what works.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #39
She's got the jimmy legs

Well the verdict is in. I have a bad tire. Pep boys is replacing it. Hope they don't muck the wheel up.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #40
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
I knew that sliding the RTT on and off the Bed Rack would more than likely scrape the paint off. We tried not to slide as best we could but nobody's perfect ha ha. The harsh edges of the RTT mounting tracks took the paint right off in some spots.
Well, I figured I would give this a shot. I purchased some foam pipe insulation at the hardware store and trimmed it to fit. I haven't tried it out yet but I think it will do the trick. I need to find some Velcro straps to lock the ends of the insulation down when the tent is mounted. I just store them in the garage when they aren't in use.
Zipties.

Matt