Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

+SconnieHailer's Build & BS+

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #81
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed. It does roll a bit more on road but it doesn't outweigh the benefits I see offroad... I remember seeing a thread on sway bar disconnects but never really followed it so i don't know if it ever really happened.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #83
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yea, the roll keeps me from driving like an asshat on the road, so I actually like that part of it. I bet you do with all that weight!

Howd the recovery go? Was his truck home to critters by now?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #85
stephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
stephen11ty7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Thanks Stephen! sooner or later it'l happen, I'll likely be doing a ball joint UCA though since i'm not a fan of all the uni-ball maintainence and I dont have extended travel so i dont really need em.

On the shortlist is all-pro standard leaf pack, burg or LR ball joint uca and 285/75 16 Fierce attitude M/T tires Then i'll be pretty much settled for this year
You'll actually find that, the TC uniballs require very little maintenance, and are stronger than a balljoint... I've seen the balljoints on LR UCA's go bad and the boot around them rip open getting grease everywhere.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #89
stephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedstephen11ty7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yea my dad has had his TCs for a year or so now..hasn't even regreased em yet
Exactly, they don't need to be greased, they're Teflon lined stainless steel, mine have seen the salty roads up in big bear with dirt, mud and rocks allover them... I just spray them with the hose and wipe them clean.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #90
PutterClutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen11ty7 View Post
You'll actually find that, the TC uniballs require very little maintenance, and are stronger than a balljoint... I've seen the balljoints on LR UCA's go bad and the boot around them rip open getting grease everywhere.
Hmmm, well i'm still in the research and decide phase so i'll have to take a closer look I just have a hard time thinking that the open joint will do well with all the road slop that will get in there in the winter... Anyone in snowy regions have a comment on uniballs and wet winters with gross road slop?

Edit: you beat me to it...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SconnieHailer View Post
Hmmm, well i'm still in the research and decide phase so i'll have to take a closer look I just have a hard time thinking that the open joint will do well with all the road slop that will get in there in the winter... Anyone in snowy regions have a comment on uniballs and wet winters with gross road slop?

Edit: you beat me to it...
Check out my build, I'm pretty sure some of my recent pics show some of the mud and slop that got on them, but they only sit superficially on the uniball, the dirt doesn't seep in or get stuck.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #92
PutterClutch

A co-worker and I tried out some new area for spot and stalk on a black bear yesterday. He's got a bait barrel but it's further south and wasn't getting hit so we decided to explore. Put on a ton of mountain miles yesterday and saw just about every kind of road condition, almost got stuck and had a blast. No bear down yesterday but saw some great sign including the track i took a picture of below, it was about 10 feet in front of the truck where we parked and started the hike in to south fork of fish creek (near cont. divide/brooks lake above dubois).

Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #93
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #94
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking truck OP. I've got Countersteers as well and they are awesome wheels.

Curious why you went added the high clearance rear bumper before the front?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #96
PutterClutch

Thanks Monte! I've tried to keep it clean and simple so far...
Thanks James, I love my wheels too!!!
I went with an HC rear before front because I was tired of watching the rear coming off obstacles all the time and I hadnt had a problem with the front...yet. And like Monte said, the second gens rear is just really low to start with. The hitch unit gets hung up real easily. I may go with a nice front someday but for now I don't need it and I'm focusing on more functional parts (for me) of the truck.

With that said, i've got some parts on the way from all-pro thanks to their awesome free shipping weekend deal (new leafs and brake lines)! I'll have some parts coming from Wheelers as well (DSM UCA's and Superbumps front and rear) And likely in the not too distant future an RTT and some sort of bedrack for it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #97
PutterClutch

Also big shout out to Monte for showing the soon to be wife how much better an RTT is than the ground! Lol she didn't believe me when I tried to sell it to her back when the GB was happening
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #98
PutterClutch

Got the tape out tonight. Based on what others are getting out of the AP expo packs this is about where i'll sit unloaded. It doesn't look to bad, I'll crank the fronts a bit and call it good.
Sorry about the garbage pic...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #99

Looks great Marc!