1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best looking plate bumper build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by mightytacoman, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Ok maybe I'm completely biased on this matter but it does look pretty amazing. I'm so happy with how it turned out. This was a gift to my dad for Christmas. Not a surprise gift, I needed his input on what he wanted for different things but none the less. Also I gotta give credit where it is due- This bumper build was influenced alot by brute force Billy's bumpers. So without further a due... Here is the build. Enjoy.

The initial draw up was on a CAD program by torchmate. I'm lucky enough to have a great friend with more shop tools then I would ever know what to do with. For example- plasma cutter/table/ CAD program, multiple welders.
    [​IMG]

I spent a couple days working in the cad program to get it just right and doing minor tweaks. I was never really trained in CAD so it takes me some time but this is how the sheet metal came out.
    [​IMG]

I'm missing some pics here that I'm kicking myself for. Anyways as you can see, I bent the metal where I had originally cut the slots out. After the angles were right, I filled the slots in with weld and ground everything smooth. Also I have finished the sides at this point and have cut spots out for oem style fogs. His truck didn't come with fogs so this is just an extra perk to his Christmas present I guess.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then added some baja style tube to the front. We spent a very long time getting it just right. Ended up renting a pipe bender/roller and really had to take our time or else we kinked/crushed the pipes. After a long weekend playing with pipes, it was right and welded up.. Here it is test fitting on his truck
    [​IMG]

To finish it all off, we got the bumper galvanized and powder coated in a color call copper vein. It goes great with a spruce mica green and really makes it stand out. You might think galvanized and powder coated is extreme but we live in the north east and the salt on the roads is murder.

Here's the bumper after being galvanized but before powder coat. I was almost tempted to just put clear powder coat on it. It looks pretty good like this after all.
    [​IMG]

About a week later it came back from powder coat and we put it on the truck. No fog lights yet. they were another week away or so
    [​IMG]

If you take a closer look at the center, you can see we put a 2" receiver hitch hidden inside the deer head. Also this is a nice up close pic of the copper vein finish.
    [​IMG]

Ended up getting some 35w HID fogs from ebay and put them in. A good fit with good light output. Cant complain.
    [​IMG]

note how tight the fit is, we didnt plan on it being this tight by any means but of course we neglected to think about the mill thickness of it being galvanized and powder coated [​IMG]

Here is the Hoyt logo. Not visible directly from the front. You gotta move a little closer to see it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Please tell me what you think. In the end my dad loves it so that's what matters to me.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    LarryDangerfield likes this.
  2. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Awesome work! Working on designing my own now!

3. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Very impressive!! :thumbsup:

4. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Gimmick

Gimmick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Sweet. Could just imagine all the work that went into it

5. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    love the finish.
    good work man.

6. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    Well done. The upper loop and receiver are masterful work. Damn,...Hoyt should be paying you for that!

7. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Tacomayco

Tacomayco Tacomayco

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Az
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    K&N Intake, Flowmaster Thunder Exhaust, Jet MAF Sensor, Back Cats Delete, 5100 Blisteins, Moto Metal on 33" Muds, Debadged
    Sweeet!

8. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:
    That is sick! I'm partial to Diamond myself :rolleyes:

9. Apr 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    R09ster

R09ster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM DCSB TRD Sport
    debadged, Bilstein 5100 all around (fronts at 1.75" sport coils), Skyjacker softride 1.5" AAL, Firestone Ride Right Airbags, 17X8.5 Method NVs, 285/70/r17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, US Offroad hidden winch mount, grillcraft grill, Sypder Auto projector headlights, blackedout LED taillights, bed extender, bedrack w/CVT Mt Shasta tent,
    Epic! :thumbsup:Very nicely done. I need some friends loaded with cool tools.

10. Apr 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Outstanding ! I just bought a hoyt carbon element! Hoyt 4 life!
    Way to make CAD concept a reality , nice job!

Az

11. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    mjm540ii

mjm540ii Ding Dang Dee

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oxford, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport AC V6
    Fog light mod, interior LED's, illuminated switch, B110 5100's in the rear, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500's, 4X Innovations sliders, rear diff breather mod, painted rocker panels, bhlm, yellow wire mod, CB, Wheeler's 2"aal, Allpro diff skid, ubolt flip, LR UCA's, 885X's w/ 13mm spacer on 5100's, Spydertrax spacers, Relentless IFS/ mid/ T case skids, 255/85/16 KM2s, block heater, DTRL mod, T2 eyelids, Wheelers Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines, ATO shackle flip kit,1" 4Crawler BL, Elite fr plate bumper, Flyzeye LEDs, Drilled and slotted rotors, 20" LED bar
    Not really my type of thing, but it is nice. Good craftsmanship there

12. Apr 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    thanks for comments guys :)

13. Apr 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    magnetic11

magnetic11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    "some nuke plant"
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport
    Fab fours front and rear bumpers, B.A.M.F. weld on rock sliders, softopper, removed mud flaps and D-Badged everything. Icon 2.5 Extended Travel coil-overs, Total Chaos upppers, 2.0 Icon extended travel shocks with the resi's and Dekar Leaf packs.
    it makes it that much more cool to me, that its your own creation. great job.

14. Apr 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    m1k3gentile

m1k3gentile Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    fog light anytime, ultra-gauge
    That came out fucking awesome!!!

15. Apr 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    Not a fan of compounds, but a damn fine bumper nonetheless

16. Apr 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    seems like lots of love for the bumper build- thanks guys. For the record, hoyt does make some recurve bows too. but now were getting off topic haha

17. Apr 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
  18. May 27, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    [​IMG]
    build pg on my truck to come soon

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Feb 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
    Baja1981

Baja1981 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlus
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Awesome man. Very nice.

20. Feb 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Very Cool!

Products Discussed in

To Top