Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

On An Island's Sort Of Build

Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
On An Island's Sort Of Build

I'm not sure this is really a "build". Starting out, it's going to be simple mods that add to the functionality or looks of my black 2012 TRD Sport DCLB and we'll see where it goes from there. She came off the lot with the JBL/Entune system, and was bought at Foothills Toyota in Mt. Vernon, Washington.

The first thing I added was a Leer 100XQ cap primarily to allow us to haul our three dogs around.

We relocated from the PNW back to the Houston area (dammit )

With kids running around bending antennas into pretzels, I decided to get a shorter, flexible one. I went with the AntennaX Eurostyle 13". It's given me good reception with everything I listen to, and looks better, too.

I've run K&N high-flow air filters on all my cars and the Taco is no exception.

I saw the thread on the TRD wheel spinners from the FJ and had to have a set. They look good.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here Comes A Console Vault

I put a Console Vault in this weekend. It was a snap to do.

Tool-wise, all it takes to install are a #2 Phillips screwdriver, a #3 Phillips and a 10mm socket with extension (I used a 14" extension to clear the entire housing). Note that the instructions show the vault fits a 2005-2008 Tacoma. Don't worry, it fits the 2009-2013 just fine. Also, the instructions show that you need a #1 and #2 Phillips. Uh, no - see my earlier tool list.

Here are some pics I took during the process. First remove the 5 small screws from the underside of the armrest lid. I've highlighted two of them - the other three are on the other edge (out of frame). Remove the inner shell - it comes right out.

Remove the 4 screws holding the armrest to the spring loaded arm. All four are highlighted. Place the armrest aside.

Gently pry up the 2 plastic covers at the ends of the spring hinge. I did it with my fingernails. Both are highlighted.

Remove the 4 screws (two on each end) attaching the spring hinge to the console body. Two on one end are highlighted. Remove the spring hinge.

There are 2 hex bolts in the bottom of the storage cavity. Both are highlighted. Remove those with a 10mm socket and extension. I used a 14" extension to clear the entire housing.

Now, set the combination if you haven't done that already. It's easier to do it with it out of the console, trust me.

Slide the Console Vault into the storage cavity and align the two holes in the Vault with the holes where the two 10mm bolts went. Insert into those holes and tighten, the two supplied #3 Phillips head screws. Insert the supplied piece of fabric to cover the bottom (or trim the one that was in the original cavity).

Re-assemble the hinge, caps, armrest and inner armrest cover simply by reversing the process and you are done!

The finished product is invisible to anyone looking in.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Assimilated

Console Vault Storage

Concerned about the storage capacity of the Console Vault? Well, in my Taco it's not as roomy as you'd think. It will hold my un-holstered S&W 1006 10mm in a useable position, but it's hard to get it out quickly and smoothly.

It will NOT hold the gun in a useable manner if I put it in something like the Uncle Mike's soft-side holster in the pic. It will go in the Vault but it sits crooked and it is not coming out of there easily.

Aww darn. I guess I'll have to go buy a new pistol for my CCP use. More on this soon. . . .

I've got a Glock 30S on order: .45ACP, 10 + 1 capacity, it's basically the factory version of the G30SF frame/G36 slide hybrid that a lot of people set up on their own for CCP use. More on this to come. . . .

After a 7-month wait the Glock finally arrived. It is substantially smaller than the 1006 and fits in the Console Vault with plenty of room to accomodate it, a second magazine and a mil-grade Cree flashlight.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Assimilated

What's coming up next (I think) is 5100 Billies for the front and 5160s for the rear.

Update: The 5160 reservoir rear shocks are in. Took about an hour and a half to do it, mainly because I'm slow. Pics to follow. 5100 height-adjustable front shock should go in next weekend. . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Assimilated

Reserved for expansion 2.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Assimilated

Reserved for expansion 3.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Assimilated

Reserved for expansion 4.

That should cover things for a while.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Woo Hoo, another Spruce Mica build.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Assimilated

Check again oh keene one. It's black.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
Guess I caught the grass reflection and thought it was. Nice truck none the less.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Assimilated

Thanks. I'm pretty crazy about our trucks even though mine's awfully stock compared to a LOT of the trucks here. Oh well, with time we'll see.

I like the Spruce Mica's too!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
I can resist everything except temptation
SamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really nice

Air Force: Air Commando - 1st Air Commando Wing
Name: Jersey
SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job on the console vault, great idea.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
That vault is a great idea. Just checked into it, and they are backordered.