Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Redcbs' Black and Brown Build (2011 Pyrite Mica)

Old 06-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
redcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really nice

Name: Christopher
redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to redcbs Send a message via Skype™ to redcbs
Redcbs' Black and Brown Build (2011 Pyrite Mica)

Decided to add to the build threads and detail out what I've done so far and what I have left to do. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Structural:
-3" OME lift
--885X and Sport shocks with 1/4" spacers and OME trim packer
--Full Dakars and Sport shocks in the back
--LR UCA's
--Sway Bar relocates and CB drop
--Extended SS brake lines from OCTaco
-Black Rock wheels wrapped in 275/70/R17 BFG T/A KO's

Exterior:
-Avid Light Bar powdercoated black
-Avid Step Rails powdercoated black
-RuggedT custom decals
-LightForce Striker 170s with Yellow Combo Lenses
-Meshcraft grill with 70's era Land Cruiser emblem
-Fog Light Anytime
-Yellow fog bulbs
-Blacked out tail lamps
-Debadged and Plastidipped emblems
-Plastidipped grill surround
-Plastidipped back bumper
-Front window tint
-Pop'n'lock tailgate
-Trifold Hard "Soft" top

Interior:
-Nothing, for now...

Wishlist/Possible future projects:
-Weathertech mats
-New stereo and speakers??
-HID headlight replacements??

On to the pictures....

Most recent shot:

Day I bought it in March of 2011:

Someone decided to use my truck as a bumper to pull into a parking spot. $1400 in damage.

The modding begins!

The first cut, and the mod bug bit hard

Added a late 70's Land Cruiser Emblem

A perk of working for Michelin, 4 x 275/70/R17 BFG T/A KO delivered to the house

New wheels, Matte Black 17" Black Rocks

Got them mounted

Front windows tinted to match the factory privacy glass

More presents! Full OME 885 with Dakars

Old vs. New

3" lift installed

Avid bar's delivered

And powdercoated

Very happy with the fitment. Still need to figure out which offroad lights to use...

Got the truck re-aligned to increase clearance off the back of the wheel well. Worked with the Tech to help him understand how the adjustable LR UCA's worked. Now only rub in reverse on those silly plastic knobs on the front of the wheel well. They'll be removed soon.

Received my custom decals from RuggedT. Turned out great!

Plasti-dipped the emblems.

The chrome in the brake lights was bothering me. I was originally going to tint them but read too many bad things about people getting sued when they got rear ended and such. Found these and am pretty happy with the result.

Just as bright (left is new, right is stock)

Comparison

Final Result

Some shots of the product thus far

Thanks for taking a look! Hope you've enjoyed it!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roberto
Robotoco's Tacoma Gallery
love the color and mods every nice tocoma
Old 06-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Real clean look you have going here! Well done thus far
Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
redcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really nice

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotoco View Post
love the color and mods every nice tocoma
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
Real clean look you have going here! Well done thus far
Thanks woody, that's exactly what I am going for.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
1sttaco11 is on a distinguished road

Marines: USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center
1sttaco11's Tacoma Gallery
truck looks great man, love pyrite mica (mostly since i own a 11 pyrite mica myself). any vibes or issues after the lift? just curious, i'm looking for some intel before i pull the trigger on a lift for myself.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttaco11 View Post
truck looks great man, love pyrite mica (mostly since i own a 11 pyrite mica myself). any vibes or issues after the lift? just curious, i'm looking for some intel before i pull the trigger on a lift for myself.
Thanks, no real issues. I have a slight vibe at takeoff and around 60mph. Three of my friends drove it and didn't recognize anything. I barely notice it. 110% happy with the lift and ride.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
TooSense is on a distinguished road
TooSense's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Tacoma, where did they hit you because i dont see it in later pics?? and did you buy the taillights like that?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Very Nice for some reason I like the colors!!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
If those chrome tail lights were bothering you then that chrome grille surround must drive you crazy. Color combo is awesome. Very military special ops looking.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
looking good, love all the mods!! Question, how's the plasti dipped emblems holding up? Have they started turning colors yet? Oh and how man coats did you do?
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #11

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSense View Post
Nice Tacoma, where did they hit you because i dont see it in later pics?? and did you buy the taillights like that?
Thanks!

They hit me just in front of the rear bumper on the drivers side and drug forward till they contacted the cab, denting the corner. They took paint off down to the metal, buckled the side of the bed along the wheel well underneath the fender flare, etc. It was a surprising amount of damage considering the truck was parked. Got it all repaired under south Carolina's uninsured motorist clause. Happened right before I started making mods to the truck.

Yes, I bought the taillights as they look. Just put them on Sunday. Think anyone would want to buy the stock ones??
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #12

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryota View Post
Very Nice for some reason I like the colors!!!!
Ty!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #13

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmurder View Post
If those chrome tail lights were bothering you then that chrome grille surround must drive you crazy. Color combo is awesome. Very military special ops looking.
Words cannot describe. I've been out of town or out of the country on business the last couple weekends and haven't had the chance to take care of it. Grill surround and bumper will be dipped. The only "shiny" on the truck will be the reverse lights, headlights, and the outline of Toyota on the grill emblem.

Thanks for the compliments. Never thought of it that way but now that you mention it, it does kinda have that look
Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #14

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
looking good, love all the mods!! Question, how's the plasti dipped emblems holding up? Have they started turning colors yet? Oh and how man coats did you do?
Thanks! I can't speak for longevity yet, as I've only had them on for a couple weeks. However, they've held up in all the rain and me washing it. Color is perfect. Sits in the sun during the week at work. I did three coats ten minutes apart and waited an hour for it to dry. Honestly, it was so easy and cheap to do and looks so clean that I'll do it every three months if I have to. I don't remember seeing an illustrative write up on tw. I found one on another forum. Maybe I'll try and write one up soon.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcbs View Post
Thanks! I can't speak for longevity yet, as I've only had them on for a couple weeks. However, they've held up in all the rain and me washing it. Color is perfect. Sits in the sun during the week at work. I did three coats ten minutes apart and waited an hour for it to dry. Honestly, it was so easy and cheap to do and looks so clean that I'll do it every three months if I have to. I don't remember seeing an illustrative write up on tw. I found one on another forum. Maybe I'll try and write one up soon.
Awesome!!! I plasti dipped a set of wheels on my previous vehicle. They started turning orange and my guess was the brake dust setting on the plasti-dip. Lasted a solid 8 months before that started happening which is nice. I think I am going to dip my emblems this weekend
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
So I tried my back Toyota and Tacoma emblems yesterday. I forgot I SUCK at anything with a rattle can. haha I sprayed it on way to thick and I have a few runs on the letters, looks "OK" but I will end up redoing it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Zilla has a spectacular aura aboutZilla has a spectacular aura about
Name: snah
Zilla's Tacoma Gallery
Clean Ride !!!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #18

redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
So I tried my back Toyota and Tacoma emblems yesterday. I forgot I SUCK at anything with a rattle can. haha I sprayed it on way to thick and I have a few runs on the letters, looks "OK" but I will end up redoing it.
The joy of plastidip: No consequences for "messing up." I had success by doing a light first coat with only 2 passes perpendicular to the letters and one pass angled up and then down to catch the insides of the letters. Subsequent coats were heavier. My "V6" bubbled a little but that's me being ocd. Very happy with the finish.

Good luck, let me know when you post pics of the results!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
TeamBlue

alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcbs View Post
The joy of plastidip: No consequences for "messing up." I had success by doing a light first coat with only 2 passes perpendicular to the letters and one pass angled up and then down to catch the insides of the letters. Subsequent coats were heavier. My "V6" bubbled a little but that's me being ocd. Very happy with the finish.

Good luck, let me know when you post pics of the results!
Will do, Thanks for the help! I appreciate it
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Good work bro. I love the black on the pyrite. Ive got to finish plasti dipping my badges too.