1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZ Bake's Budget Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by EZ Bake, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 2:58 AM
    EZ Bake

EZ Bake [OP] Active Member

Member:
    South of Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double-Cab TRD Sport
    I picked up my 13 Double-Cab TRD Sport in December of last year thanks to another member's advice, and I'm looking to do a few little things to it. I do very little off-roading but rely on the 4x4 during snow/ice around here in the winter and I tend to be in sand or muddy/marshy areas (getting to fishing holes or duck-hunting) more than any other off-road conditions.

Right now this is more of a place-holder until I get started, but my factory tires are wearing down (I've put nearly 20k miles on it so far), and I figure that first bit of money spent will probably break the dam of mod-money and I'll just get it all out of the way at once.

So far, my list of stuff I've done is pretty slim, but I want to add a few things without breaking the bank (any suggestions on must-haves or budget-friendly mods are welcome - I'm reading a lot, but there seems to be so much folks are doing and I don't really know what all has a high bang-for-buck factor - or what is really an essential fix or upgrade).

I'm not nearly as into car-audio as I used to be, and a lot of the mods I would have done back in my 20s, I'll probably skip now that I'm past my mid-30s, but I do want this thing to look just a bit tougher than it does bone-stock - it is a Tacoma after all.

Exterior:
    • Iron Cross Automotive 9980 80" HD Step
    • Mini Tie-downs with Hooks (on front bed slider-track)
    • Additional Toyota Tacoma Cargo Bed D-Ring Pair (have not installed yet)
    • Drip-line stuffed into the hood's weather stripping to prevent "the whistle"
    Interior:
    • Nothing yet
    Audio:
    • No plans (let me know if there is a critical mod here - so far I can't think of anything)
    Suspension:
    • Nothing yet
    Wheel/Tire:
    • OEM Wheels
    • Stock Tires
    • Nitrogen
    Performance:
    • No plans - again, any advice here is appreciated
    Future Mod$:
    • Some sort of mesh grill mod might be in the works. I'm tiring of cleaning bugs off of the radiator and honestly, the cleaner look is nice
    • The budget tire gods seem to be favoring Nitto Tera Grappler ATs as they're currently on-sale for less than the General Grabber AT2s (I'm probably sticking with the stock-size or going up to a 275 at the most)
    • Bilstein 5100s at least in the front - may only use the .85" setting - not sure if I need the upgrade in the rear for now
    • Spacer/leveler (to get rid of the drivers side sag) - not sure what I'll use yet
    • Looking at a set of ~1" Wheel Spacers - not sure which brand, but I like the stock Sport Rims - just want a tiny bit more positive offset
    • ~1" Rear Lift - I'm not sure whether to go with a block or AAL, but I do very little heavy lifting or hauling with this guy - I definitely don't want a stiffer ride, but I don't want to do anything detrimental to the suspension either.

Here she is the day I brought her home:

Tacoma_zps578f423c_32e6df69ca24c260153b6f7604317ae3e2bc0660.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top