Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

VanCity4x Prerunner Convert Build

Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
VanCity4x Prerunner Convert Build

Rolling a 2005 Access cab TRD OR Prerunner converted to 4wd

Here's how she currently sits,

Mods

Drivetrain:
Prerunner to 4x4 swap
4.56 Nitro gears
ARB front locker
8' Elocker rear
RST ADD engage harness
FJ Crusier Transfer case Front Range twin sticks
Spicer built driveshaft
Full breather Relocate
Triple drilled TC/R Diff flange
Intake Relocate

Kicks:
35 Goodyear MT/R
Procomp 98's
OR Snow Chains
Gorilla E/T lugs
1.25 Spidertracs Spacers
Cab mount chop
Trimmed fenders and flares

Armor:
Brute Force Fab Hybrid
Cruisin Offroad Rock Sliders
Allpro IFS/Mid Skid

Suspension:
Icon (LR) 2.5 Ext Travel Coilovers
Total Chaos UCA’s
TC Spindle Gussets
Super Bumps
Sway bar delete

ATO Shackle Flip
OMD Style leafs
U bolt Flip
Timbren bump stops
3* Axle Shims

1’’ 4crawler Body Lift

Offroad Recovery/Camping Gear
Engo 10k winch
Straps, Snatch, Shackles, misc recov gear
HiLift 60"
ARB CKMA12
Spare cv, hub, misc parts
Tepui RTT on custom rack
Trasharoo

Exterior:
HomerTaco Satoshi Grill
Custom rubber bed mat
Kobalt tool box –Line-x coated
Black badging
Flowmaster super 40 muffler
BC Pinstriping

Lighting
BHLM/DTRL
Tinted tail lights
Bed Light
Underhood LED Strip
9W Eagle eye Rock Lights x6
20" 5w Aurora LightBar
2" Flood Pods x4

Electrical
DieHard 31m in Pelfery cage
Blue sea fuse box w/ custom mount
Sunglass holder to switch panel
OTRATTW switches

Interior:
Wet Okole covers
Weather Techs
Suede arm rests/rear seats
Line X window plate, centre consel cover
Black painted centre console
Cluster/Int LED Swap
Mag light seat mount
Fat Mat Sound Deadnd
Scanguage
RAM IPAD mount

Audio/Coms:
Kenwood ddx370 Head
Alpine sps-600 series front/rear speakers
Alpine V60 5channel amp
JL 10'' sub w/custom box
Cobra 18 cb radio w/ 4' Firestick
2 Baofeng 5W VHF Radios
Gamin Glo w/ BC Backroad maps on Ipad

Todo
Tube Rear bumper
Rear shaved ff 14 bolt w/ disks
Chev 63's, Billstein 14's
37 Mil MT/R on H1 beadlocks
Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Details of swap as outlined by the mastermind - http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

So to make a conversion of a 2nd gen prerunner possible will need to find all the parts,

A750F 4x4 Transmission
VF2A FJ Crusier (Automatic) Transfer Case
Tacoma Front Diff w/ mounting hardware
CV axels
4x4 hubs/bearings
CV nut/seals
Front drive shaft
ADD Harness - replaces ecu
Custom tranny crossmember
Modified rear drive shaft
modified y-pipe exhaust
+large assortment of mounting bolts, seals and misc parts

The swap for me was around $3500 in parts not including the ARB or gears. If pieced together properly it can be done for cheaper. Most of my ability and knowledge came from a lot of research and the factory service manual which details all the parts on the truck.

Heres how I did the swap

New Tranny and TCase

First off I took out the tranny. The connectors, fluid lines, shifter leaver came off then took out the starter to access the TC to Flexplate bolts. Then unbolted the bellhousing from the engine to pull the tranny out.

Installed the new Transmission then cut the hole and sent my FJ Tcase home

Have Twinsticks used for selecting the drive, left of for high, neutral and low and right for 2wd and 4wd. This also lets me utilize 2low for certain situations.

The prerunner frame is different then the 4x4 so a custom crossmember is needed. The measurements were not the easiest to get. I used 1x3 steel tube, cut the ends off a 4x4 crossmember and welded them to the new. Then cut out the center section and added them mount.

The IFS stuff is pretty simple, front diff bolts to factory holes, no crawl box meant factory front drive shaft would fit. Gusseted the spindles, through in the cv's and hubs with seals. Wired up the ADD Harness, works great. Allows the front diff to function without the use of the ecu. Before switching into 4wd the switch gets turned on activating the front diff, then the tcase can be shifted into 4.

At the same time as the swap I had my front and rear diff regeared to 4.56 and front locker installed.

For the rear drive shaft instead of buying a 4x4 shaft I was able to get my prerunner shaft cut down and a yoke and slip joint added. Cut the cost down rather than buying a new shaft and having to change the carrier bearing position, they are different on 4x4 frames.

The last thing I got done was getting the exhaust relocated as It doesn't fit around the new tcase. You can see it in the bottom of the picture here, it is in the stock location now. I got it done by a shop. I will def be redoing it soon as it already has rock scars on it.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Intake Relocate

Tires - make big rocks look small

Fender chop

IFS

OMD style Leaf pack f150 springs

Shackle flip

Crusin -Beefy as Fuck- Sliders

ARB

Chains

Interior

Audio

Coms

Electrical

Early days

Before Conversion

Click for full-size image (1024 x 762)

Click for full-size image (1024 x 761)

Stockers

First lift, good memories

Offroadn 2wd

Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Stew Fidaso is on a distinguished road

Stew Fidaso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Reserved (Build)
I am very sorry to ask, how much work and money to convert to 4X4? I also have a pre runner. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job with the truck so far and that's awesome you converted it
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Fidaso View Post
I am very sorry to ask, how much work and money to convert to 4X4? I also have a pre runner. Thanks!
id love to know as well...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

As I added above it would cost at least 3k in parts. Most the parts I was able to get for ridiculous prices from a friend with a wrecking yard. Regear and lockers was at least 2200, then suspension, wheels, tools ect. Not Cheap.

Better pics and more details to come.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
nice, i might do this years down the road
Old 07-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I need to 4x4 convert. I'm too attached to my truck to trade it in. Plus it's already paid off...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Stew Fidaso is on a distinguished road

Stew Fidaso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
As I added above it would cost at least 3k in parts. Most the parts I was able to get for ridiculous prices from a friend with a wrecking yard. Regear and lockers was at least 2200, then suspension, wheels, tools ect. Not Cheap.

Better pics and more details to come.
Hello. Thank you very much for your response. I wish I have your skills. Man, your truck is awesome!!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
how sketchy was it welding up that new cross member? i might be getting an FJ T case for $150...and now that i've found the ADD system to trick the actuator i'd actually be tempted to try to convert. the only thing that scares me is rewelding a new cross member like that
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew Fidaso View Post
Hello. Thank you very much for your response. I wish I have your skills. Man, your truck is awesome!!
Thanks man, put a lot of work into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
how sketchy was it welding up that new cross member? i might be getting an FJ T case for $150...and now that i've found the ADD system to trick the actuator i'd actually be tempted to try to convert. the only thing that scares me is rewelding a new cross member like that
It was difficult to measure out the spacing for crossmember and I was still a little bit off. I spend at least 10 hours cutting and welding it. My advice, buy the 4x4 tail housing and inchworm adapter, would make it a lot easier.

The FJ tcase is also very difficult to install on a automatic, the shifter comes up right underneath the transmission shifter. I'm working on fitting my twin sticks, another very difficult process, have gone through 3 different figments for sticks and still doesn't fit right, will prob take a few days more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
nice work! The FJ case is where it's at!
Thanks bro, it totally is.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Changed coolant, front/rear diff fluid, changed tcase to synth, engine oil, bled brakes and added tranny fluid, was a bit low.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Molybdenite Peak - South of Lillooet BC. 9000 ft elevation, has snow 10 months a year.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Whipsaw - Princeton, BC off Crowsnest Hwy

Memorial Rock

Falcon Hill

IFS Ledge

Death Hill

Sliders Work

Coalmont Haunted Hotel

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Holy guacamole, I needed this build for my inspiration, I too have a prerunner. I want to convert it to 4x4; it's already paid for and it was a gift from my parents so trading it in for another truck isnt an option.

I have no clue how much it'll cost but it's gonna be a ways down the road till i attempt it. Thanks for the build, DSM setting the standard.

p.s. My truck is DSM as well
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Out fer a Rip eh Bud

Thanks guys, still have to put togeather a more detailed description of the swap along with finishing the still long list of things that need to be done. For me it was cheaper then selling and buying another so its def possible for you Cham.

Heres video from Molybdenite trip

http://youtu.be/s8FC9y_CU8A
Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah. Nice build man