Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

uncleART's Build

Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Arty
uncleART's Tacoma Gallery
uncleART's Build

uncleART's 2013 MGM DCLB TRD Sport

As it sits today (1-27-2014)

The day I bought it on 5-13-2013

Bought with 6 miles on it and took this when I got home.

Many thanks to this TW community for all of the ideas, inspiration, technical info, and a thinner wallet.

My Mods

DeBadged
DeFlapped
Toyota Bedmat
TRD exhaust
Window tint 30%
Weathertech Floor Liners
Blacked-out grill emblem
Toolbox Bedrail mod
TW sticker
_

Bilstein 5100s
Toytec coil overs
Dakar leafs
Light Racing UCAs
SwayBar relocate
ECGS Bushing
_

Pro Comp 7089 Wheels
Goodyear Duratrac 285/70-17
_

TRD Offroad front tow hook
Tailgate anti-theft mod
CBI receiver shackle w/ Bolt Hitch Pin
RotoPax
Spare tire mod
UWS toolbox with Bolt Latch Retrofit
Rear Diff vent relocate
Trailer Plug relocate
Backup Light Mod
Redline Hood Struts

Mod Pics

DeBadged.

Sophie helping me DeBadge.

TRD cat-back exhaust.
I love the sound - the sound definitely affects the mpgs sometimes.

Front Windows Tinted at 30%

3" Lift. (Ultimate Lift Kit from Toytec Lifts)

Out with the old TRD Sport.

In with the new. Bilstein 5100/Toytec Coil, LR UCA, sway bar drop.

OME Dakar next to a stock spring. I didn't use the shims - no vibes.

Adjusting for Taco Lean.

Alignment went very well.

I set the LR ball joint at the -1.0 (E) setting for an overall UCA Caster adjustment of +1.0.
I rolled the lower cams to pitch the LCAs all the way forward.
Doing this along with the UCA adjustments gave me an additional 1" of clearance behind the tires.

Here's my final alignment results:
Camber.....left -0.1 right -0.1
Caster.......left 2.1 right 2.2
Toe...........left 0.07 right 0.03

I have no tire rub issues with my 285/70-17s, stock Sport wheels, with 1" spacers.

Added a TRD Offroad tow hook, with new longer bolts.
Toyota part #s: Hook: 51961-35080 / Bolts: 90119-A0193

Tailgate anti-theft mod.

(I did remove the yellow handle and put it in the glove box).

Grill Adjustment. Fixed my 40mph whistle.
The grill wasn't straight, allowing for a loose hood gasket. So I adjusted the passenger side in, where it belonged.

Loosened this bolt and pushed the grill in. Tightened.

Now the gap between the grill & hood is parallel. And no more whistle.

Bora 1" spacers installed. (Click Here for the Benson X review of these)

Before Bora.

After Bora.

Installed a CBI Receiver Shackle, with a BOLT locking hitch pin.

Finally got my Goodyear DuraTracs!
I drove around for about 3 weeks with the little shoes on.

Installed my WeatherTecs. These are awesome.

33" Spare Tire Mod. (Click Here for my write-up)

UWS Truck Box. With a BOLT latch retrofit kit.

Rear Diff Breather Relocated. (Click Here for my write-up)

Blacked out my Grill Emblem.

Installed an additional bedrail to my toolbox.

Parts Needed: ($75 total)
PT278-35100-BH
66134-04010 (2ea)
Stainless hardware

I cut 2-1/4" off of the rail so it would end flush with the box. I was careful to measure and utilize one of the accessory cam notches for the end cap to snap into. I installed my panhead bolts, with fender washers, from the inside of the box so that the tray would still slide. The nylocs that I used, were shallow so that the rail accessories would also still slide past each nut.

Trailer Plug Relocated.

This custom bracket just clears my 33" spare.

New MGM DCLB . Hypnotic Coma . ToyTec ultimate lift kit installed today

Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
SDLiving is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: MST2
Name: Jared
SDLiving's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome looking truck!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Chace334 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Chace
Chace334's Tacoma Gallery
No tire rub?

How were you able to avoid any rubbing issues with the 285s? New UCAs & proper allignment + spacers?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chace334 View Post
How were you able to avoid any rubbing issues with the 285s? New UCAs & proper allignment + spacers?
Hi Chase, Yes that all is correct. Going with the LR UCAs, allowed me to roll the upper ball joint forward; and shifting the LCAs forward all helped me gain clearance behind the wheel. The adjustable upper ball joint allowed for the crazy LCA adjustment - it helped get the camber back.

I went with around 2* of caster. It is still enough for the truck to comfortably track and is within factory spec. This was also about the limit due to the upper and lower ball joint positions. If I wanted more caster, I would have had to move my upper ball joint back - losing clearance behind the tire.

Keeping my stock wheels required the 1" spacer. This created the 4.5" backspacing that we need for wider tires. The fact that I stayed with the stockers & went with the 1" spacers kept the steering radius to a minimum. Had I gone with a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" of back spacing or less, I would be rubbing on the front of my wheel well just a little. This wouldn't be a big deal though. Plastic is easy to trim compared to cab mount chops and bending over pinch welds. The guys that go with 9" wide wheels quite often have more trimming to do because of the bigger steering radius.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Thorny is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Dean
Thorny's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
Chace334 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Chace
Chace334's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post
Hi Chase, Yes that all is correct. Going with the LR UCAs, allowed me to roll the upper ball joint forward; and shifting the LCAs forward all helped me gain clearance behind the wheel. The adjustable upper ball joint allowed for the crazy LCA adjustment - it helped get the camber back.

I went with around 2* of caster. It is still enough for the truck to comfortably track and is within factory spec. This was also about the limit due to the upper and lower ball joint positions. If I wanted more caster, I would have had to move my upper ball joint back - losing clearance behind the tire.

Keeping my stock wheels required the 1" spacer. This created the 4.5" backspacing that we need for wider tires. The fact that I stayed with the stockers & went with the 1" spacers kept the steering radius to a minimum. Had I gone with a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" of back spacing or less, I would be rubbing on the front of my wheel well just a little. This wouldn't be a big deal though. Plastic is easy to trim compared to cab mount chops and bending over pinch welds. The guys that go with 9" wide wheels quite often have more trimming to do because of the bigger steering radius.

Thanks man, thats great info. I plan to keep my stock wheels too, I was planning to run the 1.25" spacers & 255/80/17 tires to avoid all of the major trimming issues. Now I might have to reevaluate that.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
DCLB FTMFW! Love the look with 285s, and I kick myself every time I look at one with them1!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks man, thats great info. I plan to keep my stock wheels too, I was planning to run the 1.25" spacers & 255/80/17 tires to avoid all of the major trimming issues. Now I might have to reevaluate that.
There's guys that run the tall skinny tires here on TW. Doesn't look bad and they get the extra height. Do some searches and see what it looks like and how they are configured.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Few tires in a 275/70/17... Good size

Truck is looking great OP. Very jealous
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleART View Post
Thanks man! Where are you at in NY? I was born 'n raised on LI.
Well north of there my friend!! Haha Lake Placid area. I did work in Rockland County for a few years, Bear Mt area. Haven't been on the island much though.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
What did you use for your front emblem? Looks like it matches the grille perfect.