Second project was mounting the light racing upper control arms. First impressions were the ugly welds. Almost considered grinding it and rewelding it but was in too much of a rush. Was waiting for so long and had high expectations for the control arms solving my camber and caster issues.
Lots of threads for what works so ill highlight the hiccups I ran into. First one was my attempt to avoid bending up the fender to get the drivers side control arm bolt. I cut off the head of the bolt and tried to slide it out the rear. Bolt hit the bundle of brake lines. Had to go out the forward side anyway. Technique did work for the passenger side though. Passengers side took about a quarter of the time the drivers side.
Second hiccup was getting the damn ball joint into the spindle. Could not get it seated properly, the castle nut can't thread on enough to get the cotter pin in. Going to email spc and confirm I have the right set. A little spooky without the cotter pins. Will be checking them frequently.
Third hiccup was encountered doing my test drive. A little too much camber. I overcompensated and ran the ball joint all the way outboard and ended up with squealing tires going down the street. Came back and ran them to the most inboard setting and it looks about even now. Right now seems all right. Real faint pull to the right.
$16 control arm bolt.
Project 2-1/2 today was installing the modified bump stops. Cut them just below the raised ridge on the factory stops. These bastards are hard. They bounce like baseballs. Not pretty cuts but with the truck lowered, don't think anyone's gonna be able take a peak between the control arm and bump stop.
Pretty long day considering I didn't get started til 4. Buss ass. If those balljoints had gone in smoothly I'd be in a much better mood. Most of the hard work is done and swapping out those ball joints shouldn't be a save for the weekend job.