1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hirod build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by hirod, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Aug 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    hirod

hirod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab short bed OR
    Thanks. They fill the wheel well pretty good and the ride improved. Well, the handling improved, maybe the ride got a little more bumpy but an improvement in the direction I was hoping for. Would start looking at tires but these look like they're gonna last a while dammit.

I wonder if this lowering thing is like girls and fake boobs. Once you start you want to go lower. Nm, what your initial goal was. Well, bigger for the boobs analogy. We wouldn't want those going lower. Thanks again for the wheels and stickers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Aug 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    20's would look IMMACULATE on her. just saying :p

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    ROFL.....

heres a random thought would 5 lugger suspension stuff fit to make it lower without as much modding?

you prob already thought about this

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    5lugger front suspension its different set up compared to the 6 lug

5. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Haven't gotten a chance to do research. The 5 lug springs and shocks are shorter. The springs appear to be the same id so maybe a spring spacer may be able to fill the remaining 2+ inches. Or if one wanted to use the whole xrunner shock and spring, maybe could run those with a shock spacer. Don't got enough cash to just try and experiment. Aside from that there ain't much I could use. Control arms, spindle, and sway bar are not compatible. Even then, I'd still have the same prob. My control arms only have x-amount of range.

6. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    Nice build you got going on. You're going opposite from me starting with suspension first. I like it and everything looks good! Its nice to see a fellow 6 lugger in hawaii going this route. I can learn from the problems you were going through with lowering your PreRunner and I appreciate the abundance of photos, thanks for that! Keep up the good work and ill definitely be following this build.

7. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    On yea how deep are you into your suspension and what was your budget?

8. Aug 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    sounds like its time to weld some custom control arms ;)...lucky you just happen know a welder.haha

good luck bro hope it works out :D

9. Aug 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I think I'm in the 2k range if you exclude the parts I upgraded from. The rear hellwig I ended up ditching, plus some parts that didn't work out or didn't fit like the front sway bar bushings and energy bumps. The wheels would not be part of that 2k.

Think the drop kit was about 500, trd shocks used were 100, qa1s 250?, rear sway 250, rear sway kit 150, front sway 275, helper springs 100, hardware for spindle spacer 50, shaft collar for rear sway 80, light racing ucas 300. Sorry, prices off the top of my head. Going to try pick up another set of spindles to see if I can chop em and weld em back straight. That's another 100. Actually not bad considering guys can spend way more on lifts. You lose a bunch of clearance but the handling is ridiculous considering its a long ass truck. And you can actually use your cupholders. The ride is firm but not harsh. Too add next would be the shortened spindles and helper bags in the rear so I can go lower without sacrificing load carrying.

The control arms are adjustable, I didn't take good pics of that. So they aren't an area of concern, it's the spindles that have room for improvement which I hope to be able to address soon.

10. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    RedLantern

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    Haha yea i know how it is lifting a truck. That was a money pit for me and i didn't even get to enjoy it. Kudos to you though. Truck is looking good! Do you do your own welding or you have someone who does it?

11. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    hemitruk

hemitruk Old man , young boi truk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Eh hirod .You still got the rear hellwigs .If so let me know if you want to sell it.Yea good build you got going.Good info too.Truck looking good.Sway bars and shocks on my list next.

12. Sep 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I do my own. There's guys that can weld a lot nicer but I don't think I'd feel comfortable having a stranger weld these up for me. I drive my kids around in this so hard to trust. I believe I read these guys are forged and not cast so they should be easier to weld. I'll find out once I start welding.

13. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    K. Chopped and welded the spindles. Took out 1-1/2"s. Was rushing so I didn't take any pics. Added the 1-1/2"s back to the bottom of the spindle and took it to the alignment shop. Truck rode ok but developed new problems. The wheels rub on the sway bar during sharp turns and since I chopped my bumps I was rubbing the inside of my fenders during some bumps/dips.

Considering solutions. Addressed the bottoming out but reinstalling the factory length bumpstops. I may trim them later. Thanks to iven I have an extra set. The wheels rubbing the sway bar only happened 3 times so far but I also noticed the endlink isn't as straight up and down as I would like. First considered relocating the sway bar frame mounts but there isn't enough room. Right now I'm trying to see if I can remove the endlink from the spindle and relocate it to a mount on the lower control arm like the 5 luggers. I figure since my truck doesn't need the range of travel of an offroad truck, this may actually improve the effect of the sway bar. Got an idea but still gotta mock it up to check clearances.

Also making plans to get helper bags for my rear end. Going to try get that and see how that'll fit into the overall design. I may end up bringing up the front end a little to make the truck look more even.

If anyone has any suggestions to help resolve some of these issues if really appreciate it. Been doing a Bunch of two steps forward one step back stuff lately.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Dam props for actually cutting the spindles probably one of the only 6 lugger guys that have gone that far.

15. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Nah. I'm at least the second I know of. Torspeed did it before me and after I saw the pic of his I was fairly comfortable hacking it. Plus I was able to get ahold of an extra set of spindles so I at the least would have only wasted a $100 and still be able to drive my truck. I am tempted to take out the spindle spacers and see how the handling improves but trying to stay focused and see how low I can go and what I have to sacrifice to get there. Typically I'd have posted pics by now but work schedule has made it difficult.

16. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    hemitruk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    With the tundra kit theres only like about 5 inches between frame and axle if Im not mistaken. Was thinking about timbrens but changed my mind .Might have to fab cross member and perch on axle in order to fit Yeh? Like the progress on your build and yea the sway work good.Good luck with future mods

17. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Was reading and air lift makes one that goes behind the axle in the spring. Made for the flip kit but it doesn't matter the amount of drop. May pick it up soon. Trying to find out if tundra will make an additional 1" spacer.

If you want, you can have my hellwig helper springs. Took em off. They did firm up the ride before I got the qa1s. Free? Lemme know kurt.

18. Sep 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    hemitruk

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab Sport,
    A few
    Im running the hellwig helpers now .Thanks for the offer. Good to know about the air lift kit.If it works thats a good option to think about for latter.Will follow your build .
    Your build reminds me of the old hotrod days before the internet days.(not that im that old ) Trial and error.Thanks for sharing your experiance be it good or bad. Im sure theres a lot of people out there interested in dropping there prerunner and following your build. Helps us alot by knowing what works and what doesnt. And saving us money. thanks again Dwaine

19. Sep 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Got a link to this?? I'm trying tl find somthing that I can use with my notch and drop that won't raise me up. The roadmaster system would be sweet if I wasn't lowered. Just cuz it raises me up and inch when installed. I moght sell it. Dont know yet. Sucks tho I paid an arm and a leg for it. Probably won't get half an arm back when selling lol

20. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    hirod

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    What part of base you work? What time you pau work? I'm over at pearl. Maybe I can meet you after work. You can have em for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top