Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The " I'm not going to build it" build.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
IbeamsFTW is on a distinguished road

IbeamsFTW's Tacoma Gallery

Well here we go... I was getting tired of driving my 93 LT ranger to work every day with no A/C. The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376922638.799465.jpg
Or the 97 " clunk, pop, squeak" jeep wrangler. The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376922665.593105.jpg
So in August of 2013 I left work at lunch and picked up a 2008 ACSB Tacoma Prerunner. Toyota certified, full warranty, bone stock, with 57k miles. The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376922560.563219.jpg

I swore up and down to myself and anyone that would listen " it's going to be a clean, bone stock DD!" Because I have never had a bone stock truck, let alone with power windows, A/C and all of that.

One week later:The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376922831.570258.jpg
Oops. But I'm still alive! Just a bruised ego.

And now back to the Taco... Got a deal i couldn't pass up on a 1.5" leveling kit. ( I hate the idea of a drop bracket kit/ spacer lift!) But I also hate the stink bug look that all stock pick ups have. So I bought it.

And then browsing threw craigslist a few days later I saw the rims I have been oogling over since I bought the tacoma (1 and a half weeks ago, mind you, lol) soooo I had to buy them. I met up with Vin, a member here on TW. Super cool guy. Thanks again! And picked up some method double standards 17x8.5
The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376923129.699574.jpg
The " I'm not going to build it" build.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376923142.852848.jpg

So I figured hey, I'll throw the spacer on and run some little A/T tires for now with these sexy rims.

Well.... Why would I buy brand new baby tires and stuff them under a stock truck??? So the tires are now on hold. I've been searching the past few days for my next purchase.

To save money in the long run, I only want to buy good parts, that will stay on the truck till the end, but I also want to get it lifted up a little to run some 33s untill I have enough money saved up to buy a LT kit. So the plan is to get a spindle lift that will eventually work with an L/T kit. I'm thinking the camburg 4" spindle, but the maxtrac spindle is half the price!! Tempting.. Any input??
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Cilijet paint treatment. Very happy with the results. 9/1/13

Decided to go with a maxtrac spindle lift for the time being, will be about a month before I get the spindles and tires, update coming soon.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
subbed

Needs more travel!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

^Agreed! But will be quite some time before the taco gets LT. Gotta rebuild the ranger first.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeamsFTW View Post
^Agreed! But will be quite some time before the taco gets LT. Gotta rebuild the ranger first.
Just pull the cab off one with a roached engine/drivetrain they're everywhere

You should prob just use the yota to tow and ranger for the mobber.......... but we all know how that goes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFtacoma View Post
Just pull the cab off one with a roached engine/drivetrain they're everywhere

You should prob just use the yota to tow and ranger for the mobber.......... but we all know how that goes
I'm weary of the tacoma's towing capacity. Was thinking about making the ranger a trailer rig and trading the jeep for a cummins. But we all know how that goes. Either way, the ranger will get built first, and the taco will more than likely get " bro'd out" ( lift spindle and fancy wheels) untill the ranger is done, and the taco warranty is up. Then the taco will go under the knife.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
FYI The Maxtrax spindles wont work with LT kits
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
FYI The Maxtrax spindles wont work with LT kits
Yep, none of the spindles will work with a solo LT kit, so I decided to just go with the cheapest alternative for now. I'm pretty set on running a solo kit.

I'll just sell the maxtrac spindle for beer money, when time comes to install the solo kit.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Mine pulls 18" clean
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Mine pulls 18" clean
Yeah your truck is bad ass. I've read the build thread. But I do not currently posses the fab skills that you do. So I will have to pay! Haha
Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Yeah your truck is bad ass. I've read the build thread. But I do not currently posses the fab skills that you do. So I will have to pay! Haha

We're going to be selling kits for less that our competition and it's 100% bolt on
Old 10-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
We're going to be selling kits for less that our competition and it's 100% bolt on
Well I just may have to sign up for one of those. A-arms scare me 0_0

My first love was a dirty hooker
Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Said kits for 1st gen's?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Will the production kit be the same as yours? Pulling 18"? Or will it be toned down a bit?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
My first love was a dirty hooker
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
Said kits for 1st gen's?
not bolt on

Quote:
Will the production kit be the same as yours? Pulling 18"? Or will it be toned down a bit?
No way 18-18.5"

Just a sleeker design with enough room to run a 3.0 secondary
Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

not bolt on
What would it take to install it then?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
What would it take to install it then?
cut off UCA mount, coil bucket, plate frame, and weld on shock tower/UCA mounts. Realistly a race kit that wouldn't be your typical DD
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #19
steezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezinstangl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
steezinstangl's Tacoma Gallery
we literally have identical trucks! can't wait to see what it looks like with the spindles
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #20

Little update: 15% tint all the way around. Got it done at a local shop here in yuba, guy does some really nice work. 3rd car I have brought in to him, and a good price as well. in case any one lives in the area figured I would throw up a little advertising.