I'm Steveo. I'm from Pittsburgh. I have a 2011 TRD Off Road package Tacoma.
I bought the truck as a new daily driver as I got sick of driving my '03 Malibu. It was boring, ugly, and just no fun.
When I was truck shopping, I fell in love with the look of the TRD Sport trucks. Color matched parts, big 5 spoke wheels, just sleek, clean over-all looks.
Only problem is when I was truck shopping, all I could find with what I was looking for - V6, 6 speed, long bed, access cab, 4wd - was a TRD Off Road.
I didnt know much about it other than it was TRD and it was what I was looking for. So I bought it.
After finding this forum and researching a lot, I learned the differences. Turns out the TRD Off Road had more of the important option I wanted - Atrac and locking differential.
Anyways.... Long story short. Here's whats going on with the truck -
Plans for this truck are pretty simple -
1. I wanna keep it close to stock so its super reliable, but at the same time
2. I plan on upgrading some things to make it more practical, fun, and more capable off road on hunting and fishing trips.
As much as I wanted to go nuts on the build, I cant. I already have a full on built show car for that stuff...
After a lot of searching around, I fell in love with the look of these 2 trucks -
Basically, I want to turn this truck into that.
Its going to be a hybrid TRD Off Road / Sport - all the Off Road mechanicals and Sport esthetics. Almost as if it was factory built.
Plans call for sourcing 17" TRD Sport wheels w/ larger tires, painted trim bits (mirrors, door handles, ect), minor lift w/ uprated shocks, tonneau cover, uprated lighting all around, upgraded entertainment, ect.. Pretty Simple. OEM+ if you will.
I wanna keep track of the stuff I do to the truck and share some DIY's so I'm going to do a small "build" thread..
I have a pretty extensive background with cars so putting this truck together should be pretty easy.
Anyways, heres my fun/show car. Its a '92 VW Jetta. I've been dicking with it since 2005 -
Its currently in the body shop getting the engine bay re-shaved and the exterior resprayed.
And here's the build thread for it -
and this is my girlfriend's '99.5 VW Jetta, its her fun/show car, which I've also done all the work on -
And here's the build thread for it -
I like doing these kinda threads to keep track of stuff and post pictures.
Current Mods :
- Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75" w/ stock TRD Off Road springs
- 1/4" Toytec top plate spacers
- Wheeler's Progressive 3 leaf add-a-leaf
- Bilstein 5100s
- Painted front calipers
Wheels & Tires
- Stock 17" TRD Sport alloy wheels
- 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, C rated
- 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers
- Matching spare wheel/tire
- Rear headrest delete
- Lighted 4wd indicator
- Painted radio bezel
- Painted dashboard bezel
- Black Weathertech floor liners
- TRD cloth floor mats
- Constant 12v socket - mounted in rear center console
- Lighted constant 12v socket - mounted inside center console
- Constant 12v dual USB socket - mounted inside center console
- "Anytime locker" rear locker modification w/ glove box mounted switch
- Center console lock
- Center console false floor
- D cell LED Maglite mounted to driver side lower seat panel
- Full '14 non JBL headunit w/ navigation retrofit
- Dashboard mounted USB/3.5mm socket
- Plastidip'd front badge
- TRD skidplate
- Additional bed rail hold downs
- Xtang Trifold tonneau cover
- TRD grille badge
- TRD tailgate badge
- Trimmed front mudflaps
- Debadged tailgate
- OEM TRD Sport Silver Streak Metallic painted side mirrors
- Power Pop & Lock tailgate lock
- Constant 12v bed socket
- Bed mounted bottle opener
- LED license plate lights
- LED side marker lights
- 30" LED light bar behind bumper
- Yellow Lamin-X on front fogs
- Any time fog light modification
- Brighter reverse bulbs
- Daytime running lights converted to driving lights
- LED bed lighting
- LED map lights
- LED dome light
- LED center console lighting
- K&N panel filter
- Blue Sea System 6 circuit fuseblock w/ negative bus
- 100 amp Bussman circuit breaker
- TRD exhaust
FUTURE MODS -
- Light Racing upper control arms (currently being rebuilt)
- Eibach #620 front coil springs
- Uprated front brake rotors and pads
Wheels / tires
- FJ TRD center caps
- Console organizer
- Painted HVAC control panel
- Additional 110v outlet in the center console
- Bluetooth/voice command steering wheel control retrofit
- Aftermarket front door speakers
- Additional D rings in the bed
- Painted door handles
- Painted rear bumper
- Auxiliary LED reverse lights
- Raptor style grille lights
- BHLM retrofits w/ Acura TL projectors
- LED underhood lights
- Ambient footwell lighting
- Puddle lights
The Front Bilsteins are are currently on a UPS truck somewhere in the Mid West. And I have 2 more bed rail hold downs in the mail as well.
Now on to some pictures -
Here's how she sat when I bought her -
And heres' the truck today (as of 12/28/14) -
I will try to update this thread when anything fun and/or exciting happen.