Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

ICON & METHOD RACE BUILD UP

Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
firefly335i is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
firefly335i's Tacoma Gallery
ICON & METHOD RACE BUILD UP

Hi my name is Brandon and I want to share my build with the community (FULL PICS BELOW). I just bought a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Sport, Double Cab, w/o Entune, and tow package. I've wanted this truck for over three years and spent the last month researching out the right parts for my driving style, needs and the look I was trying to achieve. I did alot of this with Tacoma Worlds help scouring countless threads to find all the right components, do's/dont's etc. So here we go....

I use my truck 90% of the time on the freeway for road trips and work, however I love to go out in the southern Utah desert just about every day to get quiet and decompress from the days stress. I also use the truck for camping, mountain biking and the occasional trip to Home Depot. My goal has been to achieve a more balanced look by lifting the truck and giving it more room to clear obstacles when camping or exploring fire roads without compromising the factory ride. I know I've heard some folks say the factory ride sucks however I found it to be extremely comfortable especially upgrading from a 2002 Jeep Liberty with trashed shocks.

I'm really particular when it comes to upgrades. I wanted to make sure everything fit perfect and didn't leave me with any bumping, creaking, rattling or squeaking noises. When I'm out 4 wheeling I'm really casual, cautious and patient. On Sundays I usually rub the truck with a diaper like camerons dad JK JK. No but in all reality I like my stuff to last and I take good care of the truck. Here are the upgrades:

-Icon Stage 1 with purchase of the Icon "Add a Leafs". At first I wanted the complete Stage 4 kit but after thinking of my needs I couldn't justify the price plus I would never put my truck through the paces enough to justify the beefy aluminum upper control arms ($1400 depending on where you purchase). My opinon on this kit on a scale of 1-10 is a 10! The truck feels great on the street and freeway plus the body roll is significantly reduced which is great on high speed turns and the off road performance is where it really shines. The city is building a new section of freeway here in town out by the airport. I went flying down that dirt road about 65 and the suspension really soaks the bumps up. After about 500 miles the suspension gets buttery smooth. Purchased from www.wheelersoffroad.com out of Oregon. Ask for Johnny. Nice guy, had everything in stock, free and fast shipping and no tax.

-Method 301 race wheels (17x8.5 w/6 on 5.5 and 4.5 back spacing). I was going for something sporty yet fashionable that I think will stay a classic like the ole Mickey Thompson Classic Truck wheels even if they get over played. The other thing I liked about these wheels are they were each 10 lbs lighter than the factory wheels which shaved another 40 lbs off the total weight of the enhancements. This was another goal of mine because I had a 1994 Jeep Wrangler back in the day and it felt super clunky and heavy after I hopped it up and I wanted to avoid that with the Tacoma.

-Toyo Open Country A/T 2 --- P285/70/17. After tons of research trying to find a tire that looks aggressive and will last as long if not longer than a BFG All Terrain I found these tires. They have a 65,000 mile warranty, are super quiet, have siping, and are great in all weather. The best tire out there (in my opinion) for my application! Absolutely no rubbing with this set up. None. Totally stoked. Wheels, tires and lug nuts where ordered from www.desertrat.com out of Tuscon. Ask for Barry. Great pricing, service and communication.

-Last but not least I opted to go with the TRD cat back exhaust. This was hard to select because most of the videos on YouTube weren't that great of quality because everyone uses their phone. But none the less I compared enought clips to make my judgment. Mind you I was going for something a little more discreet because I'm pretty conservative when it comes to drawing attention but I really wanted to accentuate the awesome sound of that Toyota motor. I'm sooooo glad I went with the TRD exaust because it's freakin perfect. No drone in the cab but when you punch it she sounds amazing without sounding ricey. At highway speeds (65-75 mph) you hear a very soft humm. I may record a sound clip here soon of the exhaust if I get enough requests.

Here are the pics:

Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
great combo.

looks great
Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Love it!!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
looking good ICONs FTW!!! you plan on getting new UCAs too?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
looking good ICONs FTW!!! you plan on getting new UCAs too?
No UCAs but on a random note, I am planning on adding "Ridgid Industries" LED lightbar for Tacoma.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
just about exactly how I want to set mine up! looks really good man
Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

Thanks for the love gents
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
jjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjbsocal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jjbsocal's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful truck, Brandon.
I'm curious, any trimming or rubbing?
Did you leave the Icons set at 2"?
I'm thinking of doing a very similar set up..
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
sparky1231 is on a distinguished road
sparky1231's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet. Same wheel tire combo I'm looking at. This confirms it will look good.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbsocal View Post
Hi No trimming or rubbing and I left the shocks at the factory setting which I was told was 2.5" of lift Truck rides fantastic. You'll love it. Your truck looks great too
Old 09-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1231 View Post
Sweet. Same wheel tire combo I'm looking at. This confirms it will look good.
Thanks Sparky
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Ryudagr8 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Ryan
Ryudagr8's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Cai

Have you ever thought about putting a cold air intake in? If so which would you choose? I was thinking of just getting the TRD but idk. By the way your truck look awesome man.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #15
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The truck looks awesome nice choice on the icons
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
chri is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
chri's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Tough and clean.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
No trimming or rubbing
Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #18

Naw I'm not planning on adding a cold air intake. I wish I could be of assistance but I have no recommendations.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
I forgot to answer that last question. I left them set at 2.5". Which is what they come set at. To my knowledge if you crank down the collar it only affects the pre-load/stiffens it up (doesn't lift the truck). Plus when I throw my dirt bike in the back it sits level which is nice.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
PeachEater81 is just really nicePeachEater81 is just really nicePeachEater81 is just really nicePeachEater81 is just really nice
PeachEater81's Tacoma Gallery
Looks killer man! How was the street ride improved with the icons? You said the body roll improved, that sounds like what I need. Mine has gotten pretty bad now.