Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

OME kit finally installed!!

Old 08-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Jack of all trades; Master of none
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

geekhouse23's Tacoma Gallery

This is a thread is two parts ; (1) for anyone thinking about getting this kit in the future and (2) to help me decide what rim and tire setup I should run.

I know this has been beaten to death, but on some other threads I posted in, I promised people I would report my findings.

At the bottom are some plans I have for rims and tires; ANY and ALL help would be appreciated!!

So here we go:

Kit Details:

OME 885 Front Coil Springs
Nitro Charger Sport Front Shocks
OME Nitrocharger Sport Rear Shocks
OME Trim Packer
Deaver 2" Add-A-Leaf
Front Diff Drop Kit (not installed)
Carrier Bearing Drop Kit
LR Upper Control Arms
Top Plate Spacer
Strut Assembly Assembly of the Front OME Nitrocharger 90000 and OME
coils (OPTIONAL $100 extra)
Shipping was $70

Total: $1362 shipped and assembled from HeadStrong Off-Road

Shop: AutoPractor St. Charles, IL

Front
Disassembly: 1 hour

Reassembly: 45 min (shocks and coils came assembled)

- UCA bolts were giving us issues has to bend a little of the inner fender metal and remove the brake line mount on the driver side and we put the bolt in reverse or "backwards".

- Passenger side, no issues just had to bend some of the inner fender metal to slide the UCA bolts out. Again, we put the UCA bolt in reverse or "backwards.

ABS brackets had to be removed since its now lifted. Zip ties helped reattach the lines.

Rear
Disassembly: 45 min

Reassembly: 1 hour including having to install the carrier bearing drop kit.

The mount where the rear shock mounts had to be widened due to the thicker shock.

Alignment time - 1 hour 45 min (had to be taken to a place down the road that was pretty busy)

Kit install & Alignment - $480

Front and rear measurements:
(Center cap to top of fender arch; w/ lift kit (old parts) in the bed and a tonneau cover)

Before
FD: 20.5"
FP: 20.75"
RD: 20.5"
RP: 21"

After
FD: 23.5
FP: 24
RD: 23.5
RP:24

Alignment Report:

Front
Caster: 2.34* (Left)
2.29* (Right)
Camber: -0.12* (Left)
-0.14* (Right)
Toe: 0.04* (Left)
0.04* (Right)
0.08* (Total)
Rear
Camber: -0.26* (Left)
-0.30* (Right)
Toe: 0.18* (Left)
-0.23* (Right)
-0.05 (Total)
Thrust Angle: -0.21*

Finished!!

Now all I need to do is decide on a bigger tire. I am thinking of 32" so I don't have to chop anything. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what tire to run? I am thinking 32" BF Goodrich all terrain T/A's on the stock rims (painted black) with some SpiderTrax wheel spacers for a bit more aggressive stance. I do not want to re-gear.

A big thanks to TW for all the information in helping me choose a lift kit and, also, Gary and his team at AutoPractor for all their hard work and letting me hangout in the back while the kit was installed.

UPDATE 3/30/14:

When the 2" AAL was installed:
RD: 23.5
RP:24

Before Dakars with D29XL:

RD: 22
RP: 22
Bed was loaded down with a tonneau cap and the Dakars; talk about bro-lean

After Dakars with D29XL:

RD: 25
RP: 25

Install was done by fellow local TW member NWiTACO. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Richc2048 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Electronic Warfare Tech 3rd class (former)
Name: Richard
Richc2048's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! Nice setup man. I m ow a lot of people say even with 3" lift its hard to get 285's on without wheel spacers. I'm not sure though. I just got I to suspensions a few days ago. Reading until 2am every night.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
geekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeekhouse23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc2048 View Post
I like it! Nice setup man. I m ow a lot of people say even with 3" lift its hard to get 285's on without wheel spacers. I'm not sure though. I just got I to suspensions a few days ago. Reading until 2am every night.
Thanks!! I researched probably 10 hours a day on average on TW looking for the right setup. Kinda makes you crazy...
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
The same setup im getting, except 886's and Dakars in the rear, looks great!
Thanks!! I will probably upgrade to Dakars in a few years.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
I Give No F#$%!
JediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to beholdJediNinja is a splendid one to behold

Navy:
JediNinja's Tacoma Gallery
I like it...
I think I might be heading with the OME lift, I'm not completely satsfied with the one I have now. Anway about tires I have Cooper Discovery and they're badass. problem is the price. I do like black rims though, always a good idea..
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of
Name: Greg
2ndchancetoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
Question: The ABS sensor wires don't need to be lengthend?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndchancetoyotas View Post
Question: The ABS sensor wires don't need to be lengthend?
No they did not.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of
Name: Greg
2ndchancetoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
thanks
Old 09-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhouse23 View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions on what tire to run? I am thinking 32" BF Goodrich all terrain T/A's on the stock rims (painted black) with some SpiderTrax wheel spacers for a bit more aggressive stance. I do not want to re-gear.
You could go with a 33 inch tire and not have to regear. Depending on how wide you want to go you may or may not need wheel spacers. With a 285 you will need spacers on stock rims, however on a 255 (255/85/16 or 255/80/17) you don't need spacers. As for actual brand goodyear duratracs are pretty popular either in the a/t or the m/t.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
You could go with a 33 inch tire and not have to regear. Depending on how wide you want to go you may or may not need wheel spacers. With a 285 you will need spacers on stock rims, however on a 255 (255/85/16 or 255/80/17) you don't need spacers. As for actual brand goodyear duratracs are pretty popular either in the a/t or the m/t.
I was thinking maybe 32" or 33" BFGs All terrain T/A's. Will I have to trim with 33's? I'd prefer not to trim. Then I would determine, from there, whether or not to get spacers and how thick.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was thinking maybe 32" or 33" BFGs All terrain T/A's. Will I have to trim with 33's? I'd prefer not to trim. Then I would determine, from there, whether or not to get spacers and how thick.
without a spacer I believe you will rub the UCA with a 285, but with a 255 theres no rubbing until you start flexing it out, and then maybe on the mud flaps if you still have those. The cab mount is always a possible place to rub with both a 255 and a 285 (both are 33's just a difference in width)

heres a thread on the 255's--> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...xperience.html
Lots of people run the tires on stock tires and generally don't have many issues with rubbing as you would have with a 285.

Heres the difference between the 2 sizes I am talking about--> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r16-285-75r16 (hope this link works right)
Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Chace334 is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Chace
Chace334's Tacoma Gallery
Headstrong OF

Looks good man. Curious, did you talk to the guys at Headstrong about getting the AAL instead of the DAKARS & adding the UCAs? Looking on their site now the complete kit comes with the DAKARS & no UCAs, but it looks like you only paid a couple hundred more for the set up you have.

Thanks. Also, I have a few friends that run the 255 KM2s & theyre awesome. No rubbing & no trimming with the 3" lift due to the narrow width. Goodluck.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chace334 View Post
Looks good man. Curious, did you talk to the guys at Headstrong about getting the AAL instead of the DAKARS & adding the UCAs? Looking on their site now the complete kit comes with the DAKARS & no UCAs, but it looks like you only paid a couple hundred more for the set up you have.

Thanks. Also, I have a few friends that run the 255 KM2s & theyre awesome. No rubbing & no trimming with the 3" lift due to the narrow width. Goodluck.
Yes I emailed headstrong and they will help you customize the kit to your needs. I didn't get the dakars for now...I will, however, upgrade in the future. But for now and for my needs/uses, I am happy with the kit I chose.

Thanks I hope to get new shoes next spring/summer. Looking at 255/80R16 or 285/75R16 with 1.5" SpiderTrax BFGs All terrain T/A's. I like the second choice cuz of the little bit wider stance, but I might need to find someone in my area who could help with the cab mount chop if I needed it.

So many decisions..
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome man! Do you know exactly which top plate spacers you got (size)? Im looking for really the same setup! Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtacoma88 View Post
Looks awesome man! Do you know exactly which top plate spacers you got (size)? Im looking for really the same setup! Thanks
I have the 1/2" top plate spacer.

Looking to get some Dakars for Christmas...

Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the 1/4" top plate spacer.

Looking to get some Dakars for Christmas...

You got 23 1/2 up front on 885's / 1/4" spacer ?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You got 23 1/2 up front on 885's / 1/4" spacer ?
OZ!

That is the measurements immediately after the install.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OZ!

That is the measurements immediately after the install.
How long have you had the lift on ?

Looks great BTW