1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 frame rust - opinions?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by NCforMe, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    NCforMe

NCforMe [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Crystal Coast, NC
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 4x4, 2.7l
    Hey TW. I know this topic has been posted exhaustively, just looking for some input. My 2004 was sprayed with corrosion prevention in 2010. I bought it after this. The coating is flaking off in most areas, and while it passes toyotas inspection, I'm still concerned with the frame and what to do, what to expect from toyota in my case if I can pursue anything. Also, I can't even go about doing any anti rust coatings bc of this tar sealant mess that's soft and yacht in areas and flaking off in others. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!!

image.jpg

2. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    NCforMe

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Crystal Coast, NC
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 4x4, 2.7l
    I seem to be having trouble loading photos from my 4s with iis7. Working on more...

3. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    NCforMe

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Crystal Coast, NC
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 4x4, 2.7l
    I can't load multiple at once..

image.jpg

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    NCforMe

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Crystal Coast, NC
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 4x4, 2.7l
    1 more

image.jpg

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    geodude

geodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good news for you. Because this truck had had been brought in by the previous owner prior to 12/31/11 (12/31/12 in NY only) and the frame inspected, passed, and consequently treated with the CRT, that frame is eligible for a 15 year from date of manufacture total replacement warranty.

The truck is a 2004, so the production date was probably about 9/xx/2003, meaning that frame is eligible for the free replacement warranty until 9/xx/2018 should it develop rust perforation larger than 10mm. These frames rot from the inside out, so the CRT tar doesn't really do too much.

You're also entitled to one free frame perforation inspection per year (until that 15 years expires). Meaning you can make an appointment to take the truck to any large Toyota dealership and they will inspect the frame for holes for free.

However, once the frame has been coated with the CRT their inspections are very lax. Meaning that when these frames are initially inspected, they just bang on them with a hammer so any rot breaks through, but once the CRT is on there they are not permitted by Toyota to bang on it, so it's just a visual inspection (I heard this straight from my local Toyota Service Manager)

If the frame rotting, it may not have broken the surface yet, so they will miss it. So what you need to do is get out there with a small ball-peen hammer and bang along all sides of the rails and anywhere you can. Listen/feel for soft spots (where you don't hear a "Dong").

Here's a picture of a common rot spot along the rails, right before the shackle for the leafs. This is a picture of where I punched through my frame.
    IMG_0680_zps21e0ed87_b39ecea9e8c66906d5f5351a0103c3fccbbf3f92.jpgIMG_0684_zps9f51b706_e1d3f8a0b79ecc4e6186159fa1d7affbb8c7d230.jpg

I've recently gone through the frame replacement process so if you've got more questions please ask.

6. Sep 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    NCforMe

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Crystal Coast, NC
    Vehicle:
    Taco SR5 4x4, 2.7l
    Appreciate that info! I understand the a bit of the process and the history just from research on this site. I've traveled around with a screw driver looking for weak spots in the welds/joints etc., but haven't tried a ball peen hammer yet.

I am curious if anyone has managed to have Toyota do any kind mitigation for the the spray goo they put on (I guess that would be new frame, but anything else?)? It still rusts but ends up being this barrier I have to deal with if I were to do the proper thing and treat the rust. It's a tough situation all around. I want to put new shocks/suspension on her, but do get concerned with the work, money, time I put in being worth it or not...

Products Discussed in

To Top