Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

My Fairly Generic 05 Access Cab Build

Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Bennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bennett
Bennett4's Tacoma Gallery
Slow 05 Access Cab Build

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab. 75K Miles.

My most recent picture with leer100r (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic):

Must thank my dad for all the help getting it to this point.

Got the truck from my father with 38k miles in 2009. The truck came 33” Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ and I had to add a spacer lift (limited funds) to avoid rubbing. Loved the tires but went with a more highway friendly tire once they wore out as this is my daily driver.

Current Mods:

Suspension:

-Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit adjustable front coils
- Bilstein 5100s
- Dakar Leaf Pack
- Front differential drop
- LR UCAs
- Sway bar relocate

Armor:

- Trail gear sliders welded on (covered in a spray on bedliner)
- OEM front skid plate (covered in a spray on bedliner)

Electronics:

- Alpine deck with bluetooth
- Alpine speakers in all four doors

Misc:

- Custom one piece driveshaft (Precision Drive LTD, OKC)
- leer100R w/ sliding windows, cab sliding window, headliner
- lock on the tailgate (w/ key)
- Trail Teams TRD FJ center caps
- OEM roof rack for access cab mod (saw the mod on TW)
- BHLM
- Color-matched grill and bumper
- Sockmonkey Colorado State Flag bedside decal
- Powder coated factory 17” rims
- Sanded and sprayed emblems black
- Weather Tech Digi Fit floormats
- Hitch w/ lock
- 265/70/r17 Firestone destination A/T
- matching spare tire
- aftermarket rearview mirror with homelink, compass, and outside temp

The day i bought it:

W/ the awful spacer lift:

Installing the ULK w/ LR UCAs:

After having sanded the chrome off and painting the emblems black:

Colorado Bedside decals

Did the OEM roof rack mod for access cabs (found an excellent write up on TW):

Getting the bumper and grill painted to match the body (I hated the chrome!):

After the grill and bumper were installed before the raptor style grill:

After the Dakars and ULK (holding stage of raptor grill):

Also am open to any suggestions or thoughts! I like the idea of an overland expedition style and am thinking of moving in that direction.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
TooSense is on a distinguished road
TooSense's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome truck, big difference with the color matched grill and bumper. I have the same color truck and would love to do that, but i am not to handy with painting haha
Old 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Bennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It really changed the whole look of the truck! I wasn't a fan of any of the chrome. Fortunately, my dad's best friend has a paint and body shop and my dad was able to paint it for a little bit of nothing.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Sliders welded on!

Getting the sliders welded on.

Finished product.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #5

Got the Raptor Style Mesh from Craig (Homertaco) this past week and got it installed.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Got the Raptor Grill done! Here is the write up: Raptor Grill Write-Up

Will get some pics of the whole truck up soon!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
I love the roof rack on this truck, it made me look 2-3 times to confirm it was an a/c!

Keep it up!
Thanks! It really wasn't that big of a project. Definitely changed the whole truck. I need to find the write up I used for the OEM roof rack to give credit.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

Full shot of new grill

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great dude
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdugan6 View Post
When you did the plastidipped badges did you remove them or mask off?
I actually didn't plastidip them. I took all the emblems off and sanded down the chrome so that paint would stick and then painted them black. I used 3M mounting tape to put the emblems back on the car.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Pdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPdugan6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
Pdugan6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett4 View Post
I actually didn't plastidip them. I took all the emblems off and sanded down the chrome so that paint would stick and then painted them black. I used 3M mounting tape to put the emblems back on the car.
Got it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #15

Got my raptor style lights in -- here is just a quick picture at night with my parking lights on. I followed the DIY Raptor Style Lights write up.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #16

After months of searching I finally caved and got a leer100R. So far I love it!!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks awesome. I like that color!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Truck looks awesome. I like that color!
Thanks man! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. The shell doesn't match perfectly but that is expected since my color has faded over the last 9 years in the sun.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
mromeo is on a distinguished road

Army: Rigger/Paratrooper
Name: Mike
mromeo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet! Seems im heading down the same road as you

Love the Roof Rack, Im working up the bravery to do it lol Drilling the rood has me sketched out
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #20

Finally fixed my take off vibrations! No cruising speed vibrations. Best $370 I've ever spent. Precision Drive LTD in OKC built this one piece driveshaft for me. Great guys to work with.