Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

mattygaff's 2006 Tacoma V6 SR5 4X4 Build Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Beat em
mattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattygaff's Tacoma Gallery
mattygaff's 2006 Tacoma V6 SR5 4X4 Build Thread

We bought this new in December 2005. Only recently have I decided to start doing some mods to it. Here's my plans in no particular order:

To Do List
- DTRL with VLEDS switchback bulbs (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...stall-oem.html)
- Relocate 7-pin trailer harness plug (post #31, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45560)
- Clean MAF & TB (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...g-2005-v6.html)
- Oil catch can (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html) (http://www.saikoumichi.com)
- Plastidip badges, rear bumper, pinch weld line under doors, exhaust tip, and foglight housings
- Cue ball shifter (8mm X 1.25)

Completed Mods
- Bilstein 5100's in all 4 corners (Dec 2013)
- Wheels - Eagle 16" bead locks (Dec 2013)
- Tires - 275/65/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers (Dec 2013)
- Toytec add a leafs (Dec 2013)
- BHLM (Jan 2014)
- Plastidip'd the grill (Jan 2014)
- Model T grill emblem from Andres (Jan 2014)
- ImMrYo rearview mirror relocation bracket (Feb 2014)
- Mounted mag light on side of front seat (Apr 2014)
- GTA iPhone adapter
- Tailgate antitheft hose clamps (Apr 2014)
- Tailgate reinforcement (Apr 2014) (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...orcements.html)
- Black rubber Toyota floor mats (May 2014)
- Console organizer (http://www.salexorganizers.com/Console_Organizer.php) (Jun 2014)

I'll post updates as they occur. Thanks for following along, and please offer up any advice you may have.

- Matt

CURRENT:

Before I started doing mods:
Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Beat em
mattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygaff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Box from Toytec showed up yesterday, and just got a call from the freight company that they're delivering wheels & tires tomorrow ....
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Beat em

Old 11-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Beat em

Installed an add a leaf, bilsteins, new rims and new tires on the rear end. Ran out of time/energy/daylight so the front end gets the business tomorrow AM. My first attempt at leaf springs and shocks - went well and I enjoyed it. Installing the add a leafs were like a tough wrestling match.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Beat em

The front end is kickin my ass! Every single nut/bolt is fighting me. I bought some spring compressors from Advance Auto and holy crap those bastards are hard to compress enough for the 1.75" setting. Heading back out now to re-engage.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Going to look sweet! How did the front turn out??
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Beat em

We'll I'm learning some hard lessons, as per SOP. I tried to compress the front springs myself and that was seriously sphincteriffic. Didn't help that I had the spring plate on upside down and an unnecessary bushing installed, so when I tried to install it on the truck there was no way it would fit. Had a local shop do the shock build for me the right way, which I'm embarrassed by, and it cost me $98!!!! Got em back today, will install mañana AM. I hope.

Also decided to replace the sway bar links & ball joints since they're stock and I damaged them during tear down. So that added $220 to this deal. Awesome.

This will be Day 3 that I do battle with the front end. I will emerge victorious!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygaff View Post
We'll I'm learning some hard lessons, as per SOP. I tried to compress the front springs myself and that was seriously sphincteriffic. Didn't help that I had the spring plate on upside down and an unnecessary bushing installed, so when I tried to install it on the truck there was no way it would fit. Had a local shop do the shock build for me the right way, which I'm embarrassed by, and it cost me $98!!!! Got em back today, will install mañana AM. I hope.

Also decided to replace the sway bar links & ball joints since they're stock and I damaged them during tear down. So that added $220 to this deal. Awesome.

This will be Day 3 that I do battle with the front end. I will emerge victorious!
Yikes... That sucks man. I had mine done for this reason. It's my DD and I couldn't afford to be without it for more than the day it took to be finished. Wish I had a second vehicle so I could have learned a little though!

GL tomorrow!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Beat em

Work ran way late today, so I couldn't get to it. Looks so sorry. Sunrise tomorrow...

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Beat em

DONE!!!

I took some on the chin though ...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Old 12-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
I'd rather be skiing...

Haha looking a little beat up!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Beat em

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post

Haha looking a little beat up!
Lost a few battles, but won the war!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Beat em

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Here you go -

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/299520-mattygaffs-2006-tacoma-v6-sr5-4x4-build-thread.html"][IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img51/6667/jxga.png[/IMG][/URL]
Now gimme dem windoors!
Yeah!!! Thank you!!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
Beat em

Good to go!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Beat em

Windoors?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Beat em

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Windows that are doors on the camper shell. "Windoors"
Now I'm trackin. Those things are a MUST. Love em.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #17
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygaff View Post
Now I'm trackin. Those things are a MUST. Love em.
Sooo.. When can I expect mine in the mail? :joke:
Old 12-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
Beat em

Put some Hawk brake pads on the front end. Got 80k miles out of the stock pads - I'll take that all day long. Planning to plastidip some badging mañana.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Beat em

Been raining so no Derpin. Maybe tomorrow. Did the chalk trick to adjust my tires to the right pressures today - 44 psi. My last set of tires got cupped badly well before the end of their tread life, and with how much they cost, I want to do everything I can to make these last.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
Beat em

Plasti-dip'd / Derp'd the grill and installed the Model T emblem from Andres today. I also managed to completely ruin my headlights as I was attempting to restore them, so I'm on the hunt for some replacements ......

Products Discussed in this Thread